Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
So a friend of mine who works for one of the larger PC Part retailers in Australia has told me the monitor is expected to launch in March with no pricing available yet.

There will be 2 variants though - the standard with smart cover and a second that includes smart cover and tripod.

I think given what this is and the specs it will be about $499-599 USD, maybe more if ASUS really pushes the ROG tax.

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Oof at those prices. I might be willing to pay $499 for the tripod version, otherwise I’ll stick with the G story 120hz freesync monitor despite the lack luster colors.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Oof at those prices. I might be willing to pay $499 for the tripod version, otherwise I’ll stick with the G story 120hz freesync monitor despite the lack luster colors.
There's apparently a 165Hz 15.6" FS FHD IPS one from G-story now. $299 or so on Amazon.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Not to mention a 1440p 120hz one too

Edit: Although this may not actually 1440p 120 hz, it looks like someone has tested it at:
1440p-24hz
1080p-60hz
720p-120 hz
I've been considering upgrading my 15.6" USB monitor to a 17" one, this G-Story looks interesting. I'd be running it at 1080p (powered by a GTX 1650 so no need to run a higher resolution).
Looks like it's a lot cheaper on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-STORY-17...679012?hash=item2ab3e3d3e4:g:Os4AAOSwd~Zbh7tF

Last edited:

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
I already have the 17 inch 1080p hz g story monitor. Freesync works well with an amd card over hdmi but the colors are mediocre. I also prefer 17 over 15.6 so that’s why I was interested in the Asus, I do believe MSI is releasing a high refresh rate 1080 p IPS at 15.6 at some point.

edit: That g story 15.6 IPS 165hz looks interesting, I may have to give it a go. They do claim gsync support but only have hdmi and usb c for inputs I thought DP alt mode over usb c didn’t work with gsync.

Last edited:

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
I already have the 17 inch 1080p hz g story monitor. Freesync works well with an amd card over hdmi but the colors are mediocre. I also prefer 17 over 15.6 so that’s why I was interested in the Asus, I do believe MSI is releasing a high refresh rate 1080 p IPS at 15.6 at some point.

edit: That g story 15.6 IPS 165hz looks interesting, I may have to give it a go. They do claim gsync support but only have hdmi and usb c for inputs I thought DP alt mode over usb c didn’t work with gsync.
I ran a triple gsync monitor setup on my strix 2080. I can confirm a usb c to displayport cable works with gsync on my dell s2716dg & aw3418dw.

Reactions: Van0

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Got my MSI Mag161V portable monitor yesterday. It only needs 10W power, which I can get from my motherboard and comes with an HDMI to mini-HDMI. Only 1080p 60hz, but it looks good and makes for a functional second monitor. The case/stand is also very stout. At 15.6" it's about the same size as an S4M and stacks neatly into a Wallye duffel.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I finally got both of my PackedPixels working thanks to the new generation MST hub: https://www.cablematters.com/pc-122...th-dual-displayport-and-hdmi-for-windows.aspx For some reason pairing previous generation MST hubs with PackedPixels worked with Windows 7 but not on Windows 10 -- PP support said two years ago they are aware but didn't have a solution. This is MST hub is based on the Synaptics VMM5320.

This was just a quick plug test to see it works, I blacked out my gmail, the screen is not distorted as you can see on the toolbar and it's not a mirror, you can see the mouse cursor on the right but not the left:

To compare, the active area of the TP25 screen + the two iPad panels (the PackedPixel is using the same panel as the iPad) is 96% of the active area of the two displays of the W701ds with half the weight, significantly faster CPU, signifcantly faster GPU, faster storage (but it's 4.5TB tops vs the 12TB of the old one), potentially more RAM (I haven't tested 64GB in mine yet) and four times as fast external PCI Express. It's also easier to pack due to how much thinner the laptop is and the panels can be packed separately (check my bag review on how neatly this setup packs into a small bag). It's a bit more work to set up than just pulling out the side screen of the W701ds. Also, there are way, way more pixels: the old one was 1440 × 900 + 768 x 1280 which just the 1920x1080 main screen almost reaches, the PPs are three megapixels each...

While I do not think these displays are easily obtainable now, there's a new Packed Pixels Go using the same crafty mounting mechanism which are very slightly larger and use HDMI or USB C inputs -- on my laptop that would make the MST hub unnecessary as I have a physical HDMI output and a USB C output. But it'd be a significant cost for almost no benefit given that I already have the older ones. They also have Packed Pixels 4K which are 15.6" and mounting two 15.6" displays on a 14" laptop would be bloody ridiculous and these are double the weight of the smaller ones -- I am not going there.

Edit: I forgot the TP25 actually has a 940MX in it because I rarely if ever use it, I usually only play video games when at home and I have a 1060 eGPU. Anyways, makes the GPU much faster, too.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Got my MSI Mag161V portable monitor yesterday. It only needs 10W power, which I can get from my motherboard and comes with an HDMI to mini-HDMI. Only 1080p 60hz, but it looks good and makes for a functional second monitor. The case/stand is also very stout. At 15.6" it's about the same size as an S4M and stacks neatly into a Wallye duffel.

Nice setup - that MSI monitor looks really well done and I would probably buy that if I didn't already have the Sibolan w/ the same specs. The stand seems real nice and it's nice only $200 on Newegg.

Reactions: enricko7

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Looks like amazon had a preorder page for the new ASUS XG17 portable monitor, release date of February 24th.

$500 and I don't see any mention of the tripod in the product description so that version may be more expensive. It does appear to have the DisplayPort icon next to the USB C port, so those with an nvidia 20 series card should be able to use adaptive sync via DP alt mode. (fingers crossed)

Reactions: Van0 and dealda

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Looks like amazon had a preorder page for the new ASUS XG17 portable monitor, release date of February 24th.

$500 and I don't see any mention of the tripod in the product description so that version may be more expensive. It does appear to have the DisplayPort icon next to the USB C port, so those with an nvidia 20 series card should be able to use adaptive sync via DP alt mode. (fingers crossed)

$100 more than I'd have liked, yet $100 cheaper than I thought it would be! Hopefully a listing goes up on the UK Amazon soon (guessing £450 once you account for VAT)

Reactions: Curiosity

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I have a Sibolan S17 and I bought it for ~$300.
17" IPS panel, Dell PCB, 1440p, 120Hz.
Terrific color production and 400 nits brightness.
Comes in a thin but really durable aluminum housing, far more premium than the flimsy plastic G-Story units.
It takes power from USB-C or the wall and Display from DP cable.
If you use the included mini HDMI, it will not hit 120Hz.
Highly recommend it.

Reactions: Curiosity

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Comes in a thin but really durable aluminum housing, far more premium than the flimsy plastic G-Story units.
Highly recommend it.
Seems to be some contradicting info - can this be powered by USB-C alone or do you need to use the included power adapter?
Freesync supported?

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
It can be powered by USB-C alone or with the AC adapter, but with USB-C it won't pass through a display signal at the same time. You still need to use displayport for video.

Last edited:

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Highly recommend it.

Does it support adaptive sync?

MvKeinen

Caliper Novice
Jan 17, 2017
Someone in my town is selling the packed pixels 9.7 for 100€. problem is, that my relatively old igp of the i7 2600k doesn't support the resolution. Will I be able to use a lower resolution and drive the display with an old HDMI output via HDMI->DP adapter? Or does it need straight DP bandwidth no matter the set resolution? The deal seems very good to me but I wont update my pc anytime soon. unless I decide to put a discrete graphics card inside.

edit: seems like I can't use the adapter.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The Asus apparently launches today. $500 ? Not terrible, but I was hoping for less.

Last edited:

wyrd

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 13, 2018
Are there any adapters for usb-c with dp alt monitors on sale? I found this, but what about the power supply?