Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
That's pretty slick looking. I might look into it for the next sale.
Re: USB C, I could have sworn I saw a DP to USB C dongle somewhere. Dont know if it works as intended though.
Yeah I'm more interested in a possible single cable connection, I'm sure a DP to USB-C dongle wouldn't provide power and video. As it is though, I wanted a portable monitor with a dedicated video connection due to the weirdness of some other portables and their single cable solution. I'm very happy with what I've got so far, but I've yet to truly test it out at a LAN party or similar.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
That's pretty slick looking. I might look into it for the next sale.
Re: USB C, I could have sworn I saw a DP to USB C dongle somewhere. Dont know if it works as intended though.

Well, my friend, if you have seen a gadget which takes a DP connection (plus power I guess) and provides a USB C signal that'd be immensely interesting but I never saw. Thunderbolt, sure, the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge and now Titan Ridge PCIe cards can do it, plug them in a powered riser, no PCIe signals necessary, they work.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
You can adapt a Type-C output with DP alternate Mode to a DP connector, but you cannot go from DP output to a Type-C connector with DP Alternate Mode. Such an adapter would need to incorporate the USB connection as part of the Type-C standard, and that USB connection would need to be closely married to the card generating the video output in order to perform the correct handoff sequence.

The closest thing to such a mythical adapter is the proposed legacy compatibility adapter for VirtualLink, but VirtualLink is not just Type-C DP Alternate Mode as it has a different pin layout and different handover sequence.

Reactions: theroarer

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Here:the USB C physical connector has four high speed lanes. There are various things you can use those lanes for:
  1. USB at ten gigabit per second.
  2. DisplayPort on four lanes.
  3. DisplayPort signals on two lanes and a five gigabit/s USB signal.
  4. Thunderbolt 3 bus at 40 gigabit / second. This can get confusing because TB3 is a mix of USB, PCIe and DisplayPort.
There's also power and a USB 2.0 signal in there. That's pretty much it.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Here:the USB C physical connector has four high speed lanes. There are various things you can use those lanes for:
  1. USB at ten gigabit per second.
  2. DisplayPort on four lanes.
  3. DisplayPort signals on two lanes and a five gigabit/s USB signal.
  4. Thunderbolt 3 bus at 40 gigabit / second. This can get confusing because TB3 is a mix of USB, PCIe and DisplayPort.
There's also power and a USB 2.0 signal in there. That's pretty much it.
At it's core, the Type C connector has 4 fixed (two lanes duplicated for passive reversibility) pins for USB 2.0, 4 ground pins, 4 power pins, 4 control pins (duplicated for passive reversibility, and 8 pins for high bandwidth lanes. Those can be USB 3.1 Gen 2 lanes, or DisplayPort, or Thunderbolt, or HDMI, or pretty much whatever you want as long as it's advertised as a USB Billboard Class and has a USB 2.0 fallback (Direct Connect allows an extra 5 pins to be grabbed from one of the redundant USB 2.0 links and some of the control pins).
USB Type-C is close to the old 9-pin DSUB serial ports in that a single connector and cable can be used for pretty much any protocol the source and sink devices both support.

theroarer

Cable Smoosher
Aug 28, 2018
I ordered a sibolan 17.3" 1440p 120hz monitor a few weeks back with the same 15% off on ebay, trying to get a refund or replacement but they keep insisting I'm just using it wrong...

Basically the monitor only lists up to 1080p 100hz. I can force it to 120hz in the nvidia control panel and it seems to work fine in the ufo test, but I can't force it to 1440p even at 30hz. The monitor still reports 1080p and the image is clearly downscaled (very blurry since 1440p and 1080p aren't multiples of each other).

I'll update once I get it resolved somehow.

Just for clarity, I'm already running a 1440p 144hz panel as my main monitor and I have a gtx 1080. 1440p 120hz is no problem for my hardware.

Well, there goes my hope of getting it. Just curious, can you power it via usb or do you need a wallwart?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Well, there goes my hope of getting it. Just curious, can you power it via usb or do you need a wallwart?

You can power it via some USB, the usb 3 gen 1 on my 2-in-1 can't power it, but the thunderbolt 3 port on my desktop can.

Also, update on my issues:

Last message I have on ebay says they think I have "incompatibility issues" and need a new firmware and to wait a week for it :p

BUT I did discover after buying a mini displayport cable that I can run 1440p over displayport, but only at 60fps. Interestingly, the monitor shows up completely differently, it shows up as a dell controller over displayport, but as "RTK FHD HDR" over hdmi.

So my options are 1080p 120hz over hdmi or 1440p 60hz over displayport. I can't get over 60hz no matter the resolution over displayport, and I can't go over 1080p no matter the refresh rate over hdmi, and they appear to be using completely different controllers for each interface...

Unless they deliver on this supposed firmware though, calling this a 1440p 120hz display is a bit disingenuous since it can apparently only do one of those at a time. The panel itself though seems to be capable of both, it's just the controllers that can't.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Oh, another quirk of this monitor, it never goes to sleep. If you stop sending video signal to it, it goes to a full blue background with a "no input" message in the middle, so you have to turn it off. Obviously not a big deal, just a minor niggle.

Levana-Sibolan

Case Bender
Nov 11, 2018
Hi there, sorry for talking in this thread but I am guessing people who travel alot with portable monitors should know a thing or two.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of how they usually pack their monitors (portable or not) and their sff cases on international travel?

I am thinking of putting my case in a hard foam cut out in a carry on suitcase. I do not think the wallye is that suitable as I will be doing alot of walking and it seems easier to lug my case by rolling it around rather then in a backpack of some sort.

Thanks in advance for all the ideas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264032459459 this model will more suitable for you,it's 17.3" Portable Monitor 2560×1440 120Hz 5ms HDR with HDMI/DP inputs

There's leather case for your optional when you place the order ,check this link for reference:https://www.ebay.com/itm/264020860239

Moderator edit: Merged multiple posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levana-Sibolan

Case Bender
Nov 11, 2018
Ok so I finally received the monitor. Here are some photos.

I'm pretty impressed with how bright it is. The included accessories were everything I would need.

The monitor does have a "FreeSync" option in the menu, but it didn't work properly. The seller told me that functionality doesn't work, hence why it wasn't advertised as such.

The monitor does have the option to select USB-C as the video input (instead of HDMI). Does anyone know how to do video over USB-C from a Intel 4770k, Vega56, or Ryzen 2400G. I don't have a laptop with DisplayPort over USB-C functionality, but I've heard you can get drivers to make something similar work.
I ordered a sibolan 17.3" 1440p 120hz monitor a few weeks back with the same 15% off on ebay, trying to get a refund or replacement but they keep insisting I'm just using it wrong...

Basically the monitor only lists up to 1080p 100hz. I can force it to 120hz in the nvidia control panel and it seems to work fine in the ufo test, but I can't force it to 1440p even at 30hz. The monitor still reports 1080p and the image is clearly downscaled (very blurry since 1440p and 1080p aren't multiples of each other).

I'll update once I get it resolved somehow.

Just for clarity, I'm already running a 1440p 144hz panel as my main monitor and I have a gtx 1080. 1440p 120hz is no problem for my hardware.
Here is a Video will direct you to set the 2K 1440p 120hz

wyrd

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 13, 2018

A small report on the monitor from asus
1. mb16ac works fine with Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac (via thunderbolt 3) and 8700k (video uhd630)
2. In direct light on the screen, glare on the screen can be a problem. Version with a matte display seems better
3. Monitor is strong enough and suitable for carrying in a backpack (fell several times without visible damage)
4. Could not configure to show bios through it
5. Through USB 3.0, the displailink driver works worse than direct connect via usb-c, in 3d games processor is heavily loaded. Sometimes there are mouse delays (partially solved by increasing the base frequencies of the processor). So usb 3.0 mode is enough for the second monitor, but not for the main.

Reactions: Supercluster

Acty_ly

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2018
GeChich 2501C已经停产,有什么替代品?
The GeChich 2501C has been discontinued. What alternatives are there?

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Has anyone measured the latency using a usb monitor to a motherboard thunderbolt port with a dedicated gpu?
I want a portable monitor to pair with my s4m in a messenger bag, but all of asus' portable monitors are going usb c only now.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Has anyone measured the latency using a usb monitor to a motherboard thunderbolt port with a dedicated gpu?
I want a portable monitor to pair with my s4m in a messenger bag, but all of asus' portable monitors are going usb c only now.
I'm pretty sure the Asus usc-c monitors are meant to be paired with thunderbolt so I think you're good.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
DisplayPort, not DisplayLink. The old ones were DisplayLink. Are they still? I doubt!

rom2nv

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 19, 2018
Long time lurker, finally made an account because of this thread.

So has anyone actually managed to get the sibolan 17.3" monitor running 1440p @ 120hz? I'd really like to get a portable monitor so I don't have to lug around a 27" to lans, and that resolution and refresh rate would be perfect for my use case (7700k + 1080ti)

Reactions: seto and theroarer