Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Sep 22, 2016
I'm using a Elgato HD60 S capture card. The feed from my windows desktop is captured at 1920x1080 @ 60 fps and displayed on my MacBook Pro 13 inch via USB-C cable.

You can get 2560x1440 @ 144 fps HDR or 4K @ 60 fps HDR with the new AVerMedia Live Gamer ULTRA (GC553) via HDMI.

For those that are getting a laptops with 15.6" screen @ 120-144hz, that's a sweet combo.
Is there any noticeable amount of input lag with this setup?

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Is there any noticeable amount of input lag with this setup?
If you use a Capture card attached to a laptop to be the monitor for your SFF desktop you might as well buy one of the display ink USB-C monitors. I have the ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC and even though its not connected directly to the back of my GPU my GPU is still used when playing games. The DisplayLink software uses the GPU to create the image and then it's routed over USB to the monitor. To me, this is essentially the same thing that's happening when you use a capture card. The capture card takes in the video direct from your GPU then routes it over USB to the laptop monitor. I'm struggling to see major advantages of using the capture card vs USB-C DisplayLink monitor. What do you guys think?
Note: I have a Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus (which is pretty nice) so I have some experience with capture cards.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
If you use a Capture card attached to a laptop to be the monitor for your SFF desktop you might as well buy one of the display ink USB-C monitors. I have the ASUS ZenScreen MB16AC and even though its not connected directly to the back of my GPU my GPU is still used when playing games. The DisplayLink software uses the GPU to create the image and then it's routed over USB to the monitor. To me, this is essentially the same thing that's happening when you use a capture card. The capture card takes in the video direct from your GPU then routes it over USB to the laptop monitor. I'm struggling to see major advantages of using the capture card vs USB-C DisplayLink monitor. What do you guys think?
Note: I have a Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus (which is pretty nice) so I have some experience with capture cards.

It's more of a convenience thing.

At home, larger displays are nice, so why not use the capture card. I know the resolution is still 1080P, for a lot of the CAD / renderings that I do, larger screen = less zooming compare to 13" even though the resolution is the same.

On the road, most people carry a laptop anyways, so a USB *only portable monitor offers the marginal benefit as a second screen. There are multiple 15.6" portable monitors on the market that have USB + HDMI or DP. Those are just better choices, even if harder to acquire.

So it makes USB only monitors a harder sell.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
The best one is the Mirabook!!!
Hands down, its a laptop-like Monitor + keyboard + speakers + microphone combo!
It requires you to have a USB-C Thunderbolt (DisplayPort Alt mode) to run it,
currently the only Mini-ITX motherboard with that is the Asrock Fatality Z370 Gaming.
This is what im gonna get for my build!

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
yeah I wish all the GPU AIB partners would step up their game on Displayport over Type-C. The only one that has a native Type-C port is the MSI Gaming X 1080ti

Reactions: Biowarejak

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
To get the Asrock board to work with the Mirabook over USB-C you will need to edit 2 BIOS settings:
1. in Chipset Advanced settings you must enable "iGPU Multi Monitor",
2. in Thunderbolt settings must edit the security mode to "DisplayPort with USB",
then you will get a video passtrough from the dedicated GPU!!!

Last edited:

ritterbutzke

Case Bender
Jun 28, 2018
To get the Asrock board to work with the Mirabook over USB-C you will need to edit 2 BIOS settings:
1. in Chipset Advanced settings you must enable "iGPU Multi Monitor",
2. in Thunderbolt settings must edit the security mode to "DisplayPort with USB",
then you will get a video passtrough from the dedicated GPU!!!

Hi, do you already have the Mirabook? Its suppose to now ship in October.
Can you share any pictures of the setup?
Thanks

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
No i don't still own a Mirabook, and yes it will ship in early October. I talk very closely with the developers to make sure my dream setup will work at the end. If you watch they'r Twitter you may spot some of our conversations there. Cheers!

ritterbutzke

Case Bender
Jun 28, 2018
I currently have the Gstory monitor mentioned, but I'm thinking about returning it. What do guys you want to know? I can confirm it has AMD FreeSync V2 and HDR. Also @b0bby199, can you tell me what site you bought the Magedok monitor from. The amazon reviews make the Magedoks sound shady and there is a magedok shopify site up, but I can't confirm it's actually owned by the company.

I've been following this thread for a while hoping for a good portable monitor to take with me to LAN events. That's why I got the Gstory last week.

Hi, another question about the g-story monitor. Do you remember what the freesync range was for it?

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Hi, another question about the g-story monitor. Do you remember what the freesync range was for it?
Hi @ritterbutzke. I didn't think to check the range of the FreeSync. I just checked that it was listed as FreeSync capable in AMD settings and play tested a bit. While playing a game of PUBG on it I did not detect any screen tearing. Game play was smooth, but too small for my liking.