Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
There is an HDR mode in the settings and turning it on definitely made the colors more saturated. Since this monitor has FreeSync over HDMI that means it has FreeSync v2. All FreeSync v2 monitors are required to support HDR.
Just want to clarify a couple of things:
- Just having Adaptive Sync over HDMI does not imply Freesync 2. [1]
- A monitor accepting HDR inputs does not mean it can display HDR content properly. [2]

[1] Adaptive Sync over HDMI is an optional component of the HDMI spec. Same as DisplayPort Adaptive Sync existed (intended for low power operation of mobile displays) before AMD created the 'Freesync' branding. Fresync 2 is being treated differently form Freesync: AMD have belatedly adopted the same model as G-Sync and monitors can only label themselves as "Freesync 2" is explicitly certified by AMD. This is to cut down on the spate of 'Freesync' monitors with a functionally useless adaptive sync range (e.g. 48-75 Hz) and no dynamic response-time lookup added just to pad the spec-sheet. The HDR aspect of Freesync 2 also requires games to use AMD's proprietary API, so is not automatically applied and must be explicitly added by the developer. This is mainly down to the terrible state of HDR support in general on PC.

[2] Remember when TVs were commonly sold as "HD capable" or "1080p ready" or similar euphemisms, and turned out to be just accepting a HD signal and displaying it on an SD panel? Same case with HDR. A panel this small and cheap is very unlikely to be using the OLED panel or full-array backlight required to meet HDR brightness and contrast requirements.

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Just want to clarify a couple of things:
- Just having Adaptive Sync over HDMI does not imply Freesync 2. [1]
- A monitor accepting HDR inputs does not mean it can display HDR content properly. [2]

[1] Adaptive Sync over HDMI is an optional component of the HDMI spec. Same as DisplayPort Adaptive Sync existed (intended for low power operation of mobile displays) before AMD created the 'Freesync' branding. Fresync 2 is being treated differently form Freesync: AMD have belatedly adopted the same model as G-Sync and monitors can only label themselves as "Freesync 2" is explicitly certified by AMD. This is to cut down on the spate of 'Freesync' monitors with a functionally useless adaptive sync range (e.g. 48-75 Hz) and no dynamic response-time lookup added just to pad the spec-sheet. The HDR aspect of Freesync 2 also requires games to use AMD's proprietary API, so is not automatically applied and must be explicitly added by the developer. This is mainly down to the terrible state of HDR support in general on PC.

[2] Remember when TVs were commonly sold as "HD capable" or "1080p ready" or similar euphemisms, and turned out to be just accepting a HD signal and displaying it on an SD panel? Same case with HDR. A panel this small and cheap is very unlikely to be using the OLED panel or full-array backlight required to meet HDR brightness and contrast requirements.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I read something earlier that said that Freesync 2 specifically allowed for adaptive sync to work over HDMI and that all AMD required all Freesync 2 monitors to support HDR for the monitors to put "Freesync" on the box.

The monitor we were referring to definitely supports Freesync and AMD's GPU settings confirms that.

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
In my case, I would specifically be looking for a 1080P monitor that can be powered viaUSB (I dont want to have to plug it into the wall) with HDMI/DP in, I dont want to fiddle with drivers/installation and have input come through another USB. Preferably in a ~13" size, 15" & 17" are just too big. 60Hz is just fine and I don't need Freesync/Gsync or anything fancy.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I read something earlier that said that Freesync 2 specifically allowed for adaptive sync to work over HDMI and that all AMD required all Freesync 2 monitors to support HDR for the monitors to put "Freesync" on the box.

The monitor we were referring to definitely supports Freesync and AMD's GPU settings confirms that.
It's deliberately confusing, "Freesync" and "Freesync 2" are two separate things:
'Freesync' can be applied to any monitors that supports DisplayPort Adaptive sync in any way, or HDMI variable refresh in any way. AMD succeeded in getting their own brand recognised above the underlying technology name, but this shot them in the foot when it became more associated with cheap checkbox-ticking displays than the handful of high-end monitors released.
'Freesync 2' is much closer to G-Sync in that AMD require monitors using that label to conform to certain minimum requirements and need to apply for AMD certification to use that label (to try and avoid the mistake they made with 'Freesyc'), and also requires games to use AMD's proprietary API in order for the HDR portion to work.

This monitor may be 'Freesync' in that it uses HDMI variable refresh, but it is not 'Freesync 2'.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
look at all these gaming laptops coming out this year.

I think 15.6" 1080P and 4K laptop monitors are going to get all the good features.

2560x1440 is not catching on, too bad.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
In case anyone is curious, yes, you can use your laptop as an external monitor.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
How? I have a surface that I use for portable computing right now. When I have a travel size pc, I would love to use it as a monitor.

I sent a PM to Wahaha asking this same question.

I'm using a Elgato HD60 S capture card. The feed from my windows desktop is captured at 1920x1080 @ 60 fps and displayed on my MacBook Pro 13 inch via USB-C cable.

You can get 2560x1440 @ 144 fps HDR or 4K @ 60 fps HDR with the new AVerMedia Live Gamer ULTRA (GC553) via HDMI.

For those that are getting a laptops with 15.6" screen @ 120-144hz, that's a sweet combo.

Reactions: Biowarejak

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
I'm using a Elgato HD60 S capture card. The feed from my windows desktop is captured at 1920x1080 @ 60 fps and displayed on my MacBook Pro 13 inch via USB-C cable.

You can get 2560x1440 @ 144 fps HDR or 4K @ 60 fps HDR with the new AVerMedia Live Gamer ULTRA (GC553) via HDMI.

For those that are getting a laptops with 15.6" screen @ 120-144hz, that's a sweet combo.
The MSI GS65 has a 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), 144Hz, 7ms, IPS-Level. The response time i slower than the Asus ROG ZEPHYRUS M GM501 (

I think @seto is looking for 2560x1440, 144hz.

I am also looking for 17.3" - 21.5", 1440p, 144hz, VA or IPS with low response time in a thin package.
just checking up, do you know if there are any updates on our monitor? i'm getting itchy to get something to play games on while I travel :)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
just checking up, do you know if there are any updates on our monitor? i'm getting itchy to get something to play games on while I travel :)

I don’t think it’s happening for 17.3”. No laptop announcements at this size.

All of the new features are on 15.6”, you prob have better luck finding 15.6” @ 1080p.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
It’s new hardware just announced during Computex, that’s why.
i see the listing now :thumb: but according to their official page the Liver Gamer Ultra/Extreme doesn't support macOS systems :C

maybe I'll do with an elgato HD60S. the NDI thing had a hitch as well. how's the latency like? (does it take 2 blinks for the screen to display a click?)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
yeah I'd have to make do with that for now ._. I don't have the need for a 4K display yet (if anything the iPad monitor should suffice)

oh right one more thing: did you need a headless display emulator on the HD60S? or does Windows see an Elgato Display?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
yeah I'd have to make do with that for now ._. I don't have the need for a 4K display yet (if anything the iPad monitor should suffice)

oh right one more thing: did you need a headless display emulator on the HD60S? or does Windows see an Elgato Display?

Plug and play. It’s literally the HDMI output from windows desktop.

I have not used it for gaming, so keep that mind. So the lag, however small it is, is not obvious or non-existent as far as I’m concerned.

There are people using it for gaming between iMac and Nintendo Switch - so I assume it’s fine.

Last edited:

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
I don’t think it’s happening for 17.3”. No laptop announcements at this size.

All of the new features are on 15.6”, you prob have better luck finding 15.6” @ 1080p.

is this the same as the link you posted on Taobao? https://www.yoycart.com/Product/558361392114/ I realize its a TN but its got all the right specs (144hz, 17.3in, 1440p, 1ms response) with the exception that its not a IPS or VA. I may just buy this if 17.3 isn't going to make it to IPS :(