Portable display ideas

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Hey guys, Ive been into SFF builds for a long time, really enjoy the creativity and planning it takes to put a powerful rig into one, and I absolutely love some of the cases Ive seen made in this community. One of the main things I enjoy about some of these cases is that they are extremely portable, referring to things like the Lian Li Tu-100 , and the Silverstone ML08-BH. Theres a few little obsession projects ive kept in my mind over the years, and now Im getting to a part of my life where I just might be able to tinker a little bit with some of these things.

One of the things ive always wanted to do was take one of the cases above, or something similar, and either mount a screen and keyboard to it, and make a super portable, neat lan rig. OR mount a little pico projector on the side of one or inside of one so you can sit next to a wall and have a larger screen than a portable screen would allow. I had looked into mounting one of those laser projection keyboards to one as well, but i dont think something like that would be good for gaming. so ive looked into modding a laptop keyboard into the side of a case similar to one of these, or having a fold out higher end mechanical keyboard on a hinge that folds out when you plan to use it.

The point of this is to create a LAN rig as portable as possible, as powerful as possible, with almost non existent clutter, such as wires, monitors, detached keyboard, etc.

Let me be clear im aware there are other, simpler ways of achieving things like this, such as using a laptop, however the tinkerer in me is interested in doing something like this just because.

Anywho, I was wonder, have any of you guy seen any interesting ways to integrate a display into a desktop case, whether it be a regular screen, or a projector? Also, what interesting ways, and types of keyboards have you seen used in things like this?

This is mostly a thread dedicated to archiving these ideas and discussing potential ways of doing things such as what I posted above.

Maybe this is your thing, maybe not, im just looking into it for fun. Thanks ahead of time fellas.

something like this could be neat. Just build a small pocket, or rack to slide the keyboard to slide into on the side of the rig, as well as it being wireless is a nice plus. Could just add an internal bluetooth chip to the mobo..
Something like this would be super neat to integrate into the actual case for a monitor.

Ive also been reading the logitech g602 mouse is a really good wireless gaming mouse. could build a little mount, or pocket on the side of the case to transport it.

Another pretty neat super small form factor pico projector that could be used for a portable rig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've always had this itch too, to make a very handy portable gaming rig that might not be a better idea than a laptop, but just is a better PC.
Although I'd take a look at a lot of possibilities that some laptop displays might offer, I've even seen people use iPad screens because of the high resolution and quality IPS properties.

A projector will have it's own problems but I'm sure with the right reflective screen, positioning and projector, you can have a good image. But you'd want it to not be too bright, because LAN parties tend to be very dark caves. If possible, projection brightness (like a monitor's backlight setting) would be preferred.

P.S. no need to use 5 posts in a row, you can just edit your starting post and we encourage it if it's a recent post that hasn't been replied to.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
I've always had this itch too, to make a very handy portable gaming rig that might not be a better idea than a laptop, but just is a better PC.
Although I'd take a look at a lot of possibilities that some laptop displays might offer, I've even seen people use iPad screens because of the high resolution and quality IPS properties.

A projector will have it's own problems but I'm sure with the right reflective screen, positioning and projector, you can have a good image. But you'd want it to not be too bright, because LAN parties tend to be very dark caves. If possible, projection brightness (like a monitor's backlight setting) would be preferred.

P.S. no need to use 5 posts in a row, you can just edit your starting post and we encourage it if it's a recent post that hasn't been replied to.
thanks for the feedback.

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
There are also some asian-made 11 to 17'' IPS FullHD portable monitors like this, equipped with HDMI,USB for power etc. but are quite expensive and the customs additional cost makes buying one prohibitive.

Reactions: Raxe

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
There are also some asian-made 11 to 17'' IPS FullHD portable monitors like this, equipped with HDMI,USB for power etc. but are quite expensive and the customs additional cost makes buying one prohibitive.
oh wow something like that would be perfect , just find a way to attach a good hinge system from it to the case and were in business.

timginter

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Who would want simple things? :D Sounds like an awesome thread. I built something similar -
Have a look at the screen on the parts lists - not too expensive and works great, only drawback are rubbish speakers but I'm using headphones for gaming and music anyway

Reactions: Phuncz