Portable Desktop methods

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Okay, so, I recently purchased an Skyreach 4 Mini to replace my current mATX build.

I am trying to achieve a "portable desktop" which means, the desktop chassis, the accessories and the method of viewing the video output must all fit in a standard backpack.

I have been researching possibilities on what this might entail, and I have come up with 3 avenues to achieve this:

These options must not exceed $300:
1. portable monitor around 15" with a decent rez.
----------a. most monitors I've found in this size either have low rez, are usb only, or are more than 300$
----------b. usb only monitors do not work until you boot into windows
2. portable projector(such as a mini or pico).
----------a. can't find any pico projectors that have a native 1080p rez. highest I've seen is WXGA.
----------b. Edit: Nevermind, but its 600$ https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824332027
3. Exception is Avegant Glyph, since it provides extreme portability.
----------a. I believe it is currently on sale for $500, but not willing to drop that if I can't try it before I buy.

(also would be ideal if the monitor has speakers, in case I don't want to use headphones.)

for keyboard:
1. full size keyboard that folds
----------a. This is the best one I've found: iClever Wireless Folding Keyboard with 3-Color Backlight
2. silicone keyboard(how well do those work?)
3. split keyboard (keyboard is in two pieces)
Such as this one, this one, or this one.

Mouse, doesn't matter, will probably use existing desktop mouse since it isn't huge.

Also, you're probably wondering what the point of this is.

1. I want portability, but I don't want to sacrifice the ability to upgrade.
2. I want to be able to take this on out of town trips, which I take several times a year, but I don't want to carry around one of my dual 25" LED monitors, unless I'm going to a LAN party.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2017
  • monitor
Check out this thread, you might find something there. If not, you can always make one - get a panel from a laptop, a driver board from eBay, some sort of battery, and make a case out of whatever material you like. Not sure how well the Glyph would work as it's only WXGA.

• keyboard
Pok3r? Doesn't fold or anything but is pretty compact and mechanical.

Reactions: Biowarejak

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
My idea for this one is a 60% mechanical keyboard if you're into mechs (otherwise, any low profile bluetooth keyboard from Amazon will do) and maybe the iPad LCD monitor that I've seen around here. It's only 9.7in screen size though.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
@winterbladexx The folding keyboard I linked is apparently 80%, but you can type with it connected via usb, wifi or bluetooth.

@SeñorDonut I looked at the thread, the ipad LCD is a great mod, but I think I'd rather a bigger screen. I don't want anything bigger than a 17" as they get quite large at that size and above(2D wise anyway). This 12 inch monitor might do the trick.

Mar 6, 2017
WiFi keyboard, interesting...

That monitor you linked looks quite promising, though the base doesn't look very sturdy.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
@slimjim That monitor is only 1366 x 768. If I wanted that resolution, I would have gone with this asus monitor, as it's much cheaper. I've already bought a powerbrick as the graphics card I'm using is a gtx 1070 ti mini. My Skyreach 4 Mini build

@chx Have you used any matias keyboards? I found them while I was browsing amazon. How's their build quality and responsiveness?
Also, this monitor is the best I've seen on Aliexpress, but the contrast ratio is only 800:1 which is pretty bad, the color depth is only 8 bit as well...

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
@winterbladexx The folding keyboard I linked is apparently 80%, but you can type with it connected via usb, wifi or bluetooth.

@SeñorDonut I looked at the thread, the ipad LCD is a great mod, but I think I'd rather a bigger screen. I don't want anything bigger than a 17" as they get quite large at that size and above(2D wise anyway). This 12 inch monitor might do the trick.

Have this Elecrow display that I use with an RPI just a bit bigger, foldable stand. Pretty decent

https://www.ebay.com/p/Slight-Damag...ortable-Screen-1920x1080-HDMI-VGA/25002536488

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
I am a new member here but have been watching this thread with great interest .

I am thinking of doing something similar for my next build, but don't want to spend hundreds on an ultra portable monitor.

Example:
For weekend long LAN parties I will simply bring my big gaming monitor, however for overnight work trips I don't want to haul that giant monitor so I too want something lean & mean that also fits in a backpack. I am currently on the hunt for a dead laptop with a 1080P screen (for as little cost as possible). My hope is to pillage the screen, buy a new control board for the screen and make a light weight frame for it (maybe something out of a sheet of HDPE.. Its also electrically insulating, HURRAY!!).

Reactions: SeñorDonut

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
I am a new member here but have been watching this thread with great interest .

I am thinking of doing something similar for my next build, but don't want to spend hundreds on an ultra portable monitor.

Example:
For weekend long LAN parties I will simply bring my big gaming monitor, however for overnight work trips I don't want to haul that giant monitor so I too want something lean & mean that also fits in a backpack. I am currently on the hunt for a dead laptop with a 1080P screen (for as little cost as possible). My hope is to pillage the screen, buy a new control board for the screen and make a light weight frame for it (maybe something out of a sheet of HDPE.. Its also electrically insulating, HURRAY!!).
For me, I'm leaning towards the iPad monitor because it's cheaper and USB-powered. Around 40CAD for control board and about 100CAD total for both the LCD and shell.

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
For me, I'm leaning towards the iPad monitor because it's cheaper and USB-powered. Around 40CAD for control board and about 100CAD total for both the LCD and shell.

This is a pretty good idea. Do you know a good link for the process?

Is a IPad screen big enough to game on?

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
This is why I'm looking at this 15.6" monitor that's available on aliexpress. otherwise I would have gone for the craigslist listing for 2 20" monitors running at 1600 x 900 for 60$.(although they didn't come with a stand, a folding stand is easily acquired.

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
I have a pile of 1400x900 monitors in my basement that I used for an old NVSurround/Eyefinity setup that I could use, but 1400x900 vs 1080p doesn't even compare/ I should just sell the dang things.