Portable Desktop methods

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I thought I would share that i’ve thoroughly enjoyed switching to a wireless mouse for travel. I picked up a Logitech G900 on sale for Black Friday. While I don’t like the mouse itself quite as much as my Mionix Castor, not having a wire is so freeing. Even on my desktop at home.

When I take my pc with me to a friends or to dog sit I can hook my PC up to the TV and open a game with my mouse and play with a wireless Xbone controller.

I know you said the mouse doesn’t really matter but just wanted to share it’s made a difference for me.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
I think if I want to go for the ultra portable build, I think I would go with a monitor with a folding vesa stand, the folding keyboard and a wireless mouse. Pro gamers knock wireless because they can't have any input lag, but for me, its not terrible. If i were to spend money on mouse, I think I would like one that can either be wired or wireless.

The touchpad version:

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
My setup was this for portable gaming:

- IPad mod attached to a small lamp arm that was mounted to my case(Size didnt matter when it was 4'' from your face lol, got the idea from Wendell over at Level1Tech)

- Razer Orbweaver/Tartarus (1 handed, programmable, mechanical gaming hand keyboard. Not great for MMOs but good enough for most games. Just set a macro to type your login information for steam/gog/games and hope you never have to type a sentence again lol)

-Logitech G602 (Wireless mouse with pretty decent battery life. Can run on 1 AA battery and in endurance mode for ~200 hours, or with 2 AA batteries in endurance mode for around ~350 hours)

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Okay, so small update. After thinking it over, It is silly to buy a keyboard and mouse that I'm only going to use for traveling. I might as well go in between and get a 60% mechanical wireless/wired keyboard. Though reluctant, I will also do the same for my travel mouse. It will also be a wireless/wired mouse, though I can't really pinpoint anything right now. I'm happy with my current Razer Lachesis, so I may just go for a cheaper wireless mouse. I want something comparable to the Lachesis though. Optical is preferred(even though Lachesis is laser, it is super comfortable to use) I would like to avoid mice that require AA batteries. Rechargeable is preferred.

Right now I have essentially a $300 gift card for amazon.

Since I abandoned the iClever Folding keyboard, I need some options:

Havit HV-KB390L:
If i go with this keyboard, I just won't get a wireless mouse and use my existing Razer Lachesis.

corsair k63 wireless:

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I’ve personally had bad experiences with using Bluetooth products with a windows PC. I prefer slim USB dongles.

If the mouse is wireless I don’t find having a compact mouse necessary for travel. I use a Logitech G900 and it fits in my bag and doesn’t take up too much space.

Reactions: SeñorDonut
D

DelUser6216

I'm going to connect a micro controller to a laptop keyboard and trackpad so that I can connect it to my laptop with desktop parts. The controller is called a Teensy and maybe I need a little Arduino too.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
The best travel keyboard is the Matias Ergo Pro IMO. Obviously remove the palmrests first.