Discussion Performance per litre - Round 4

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
Here's another entry. Very late to the party, and it will be destroyed by current hardware, but I don't mind. Been a long time fan of the PPL competition and wanted to be a part of it.

Case: fully custom sandwich-style with external fan. 115mm x 192mm x 246mm. Screws holding side panels added 2.5mm to all sides. Corner tabs added 1mm to top and bottom. +.239L for external fan.
Total volume= 5.67L

How did you calculate the 0.239 litre volume for the fan?

Meh, with a few extra bucks on an aftermarket cooler, it'd fit fine. Consider it a hotrod build. I'll allow it. (And have done similar in the past XD)

I suppose we could add the category of "hotrod" build or as an open air case . . .

. . . ..with a rectangular block and cylindrical/rectangular block . .. .

Bounding box is bounding box...! Otherwise, a "Hot Rod Exemption" could lead to a BeQuiet! tower cooler sticking out of an Inwin Chopin...! ;^p

or a rectangular block and rectangular block . .. .

we would just all need to agree on the definition. . .

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
How did you calculate the 0.239 litre volume for the fan?
Vol of a cylinder (pi* r^2 *h). Had to subtract a little as the fan intersects with the bounding box created by the heads of the screws. I don't remember the exact numbers I used. The fan sits 31mm off the sidewall, and diameter is about 102mm. The fan is 2.5mm within the existing bounding box. Doing the calculation again I'm getting .232 L of added volume.

I suppose we could add the category of "hotrod" build or as an open air case . . .
On the bright side, most people cringe at this style, so I don't see this new category being exploited very often.

I would have to agree that true "open air" designs (like a ton of NFC builds) probably shouldn't be included in this competition. Hotrod cooler configs flirt with that definition for sure.

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I just ran with CB R23, if and when there's a R5 I will move this post there 😂

(28,442 * 14,451) / (18.25 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 52,718.58

EDIT: thanks @Boil - (28,442 * 14,451) / (19.45 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 47,915.78

Last edited:
Reactions: Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I just ran with CB R23, if and when there's a R5 I will move this post there 😂

(28,442 * 14,451) / (18.25 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 52,718.58

Cooler Master NR200 dims are incorrect...

The proper PPL bounding box includes the feet (but not the little stub of a PCIe bracket tab) in the dims...

From the Cooler Master website:

Dimensions (L x W x H)
376 x 185 x 292mm incl. Protrusions
360 x 185 x 274mm excl. Protrusions

So PPL bounding box dims would be:

360 x 185 x 292 = 19.45L (always rounding up to the hundredth)

Leaving the following as the proper PPL equation:

(28,442 * 14,451) / (19.45 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 47,915.78

Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Cooler Master NR200 dims are incorrect...

The proper PPL bounding box includes the feet (but not the little stub of a PCIe bracket tab) in the dims...

From the Cooler Master website:

Dimensions (L x W x H)
376 x 185 x 292mm incl. Protrusions
360 x 185 x 274mm excl. Protrusions

So PPL bounding box dims would be:

360 x 185 x 292 = 19.45L (always rounding up to the hundredth)

Leaving the following as the proper PPL equation:

(28,442 * 14,451) / (19.45 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 47,915.78
thank you policeman, I just used the # in SFF Master List, can't be bothered to go take a measure tape and do all that work!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@Aux is there a way to running a shared spreadsheet where participants just input the benchmark scores and all the dimensions are managed by 1 person for consistency? the whole bounding box / hot-rod build / incorrect dimensions stated by manufacturers are such hassle to the rest of us

Reactions: DrHudacris

hereforthefeast

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 25, 2019
Let's get some more going, here's my entry but I'm unable to run Octane Bench, it says "no compatible GPU found" for my 3070, any ideas?

(16,586 * 13,116 ) / (6.17 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 141,943.44

Cinebench R23 30 minute score: 16586

TimeSpy GPU score: 13116

Case dimensions: Velka 7 with +4mm spacing on GPU side 177 x 115 x 303 mm = approx 6.17L

Last edited:

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
@Aux is there a way to running a shared spreadsheet where participants just input the benchmark scores and all the dimensions are managed by 1 person for consistency? the whole bounding box / hot-rod build / incorrect dimensions stated by manufacturers are such hassle to the rest of us

Thats kind of what we already do . you just have to trust the process of acknowledging your case size .. Both @Boil & I (to a lesser extent) do check your case sizes as best we can . .. to make it as fair and open as possible.
Unfortunately sharing an excel sheet is an easy way of spreading viruses . .. and some of the other ways of sharing sheets, I avoid so . . I would suggest that if you wish to make an entry, you post your results, case volume (with a link to the seller/case site), and we will confirm it as soon as possible ...

It seems that we are now running R23, I will edit the first post now to reflect that ..

Let's get some more going, here's my entry but I'm unable to run Octane Bench, it says "no compatible GPU found" for my 3070, any ideas?

@Boil Can you propose a resolution?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I have not touched Octane Bench in awhile, but maybe check the OTOY forums, make sure you have the proper version that supports the RTX 3000-series GPUs...?

Regardless, the original PPL is Cinebench & Time Spy; I just "added" Octane Bench for a more Compute-focused test...?

Thats kind of what we already do . you just have to trust the process of acknowledging your case size .. Both @Boil & I (to a lesser extent) do check your case sizes as best we can . .. to make it as fair and open as possible.
@Boil Can you propose a resolution?

hmm in that case I'll just post the benchmark scores & pictures then and you guys can just fill in the volume and the final score at the end. cheers!

End user needs to be responsible for proper PPL bounding box measurements, I am just here to remind folks what a bounding box is (because otherwise we would have folks measuring every little dimension for a "shrinkwrapped bounding box")...!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
End user needs to be responsible for proper PPL bounding box measurements, I am just here to remind folks what a bounding box is (because otherwise we would have folks measuring every little dimension for a "shrinkwrapped bounding box")...!
IIRC every round there are more posts about the bounding box than the actual entries themselves. Anyway no point discussing further, let's just hope there will be more entries, eventually.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I just received my Chuwi Larkbox which I backed on Indiegogo last year. It's a 0.16L Mini PC, but the AC adaptor will add to that volume.

I may need to bring up the bounding box issue in regards to the AC adapter, which has a cable strain relief notch on one side. Has a decision been made on whether or not this should be included in the dimensions, or should I post a photo so you can see what it looks like?

Once I have it setup, and updated, I plan to post the results here. Hopefully, its little Celeron J4115 and 6GB of RAM will make it through all the benchmarks! 😁

I think there may be a reinstallation of Windows 10 that needs to be done first, so with the week I'm having, that will probably only happen sometime over the Easter weekend.

Reactions: timginter and BaK

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
I just received my Chuwi Larkbox which I backed on Indiegogo last year. It's a 0.16L Mini PC, but the AC adaptor will add to that volume.

I may need to bring up the bounding box issue in regards to the AC adapter, which has a cable strain relief notch on one side. Has a decision been made on whether or not this should be included in the dimensions, or should I post a photo so you can see what it looks like?

Once I have it setup, and updated, I plan to post the results here. Hopefully, its little Celeron J4115 and 6GB of RAM will make it through all the benchmarks! 😁
Pictures are always helpful

Reactions: DrHudacris

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I think there may be a reinstallation of Windows 10 that needs to be done first, so with the week I'm having, that will probably only happen sometime over the Easter weekend.
Is this the power brick in question?

If so, just measure the LxWxH, excluding the power leads & the strain relief; external power bricks & internal PSUs both have power leads, so we don't count that...

But it looks like the power brick is gonna double the overall volume...! ;^p

Interested to see the assorted test scores...!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Is this the power brick in question?

If so, just measure the LxWxH, excluding the power leads & the strain relief; external power bricks & internal PSUs both have power leads, so we don't count that...

But it looks like the power brick is gonna double the overall volume...! ;^p

Interested to see the assorted test scores...!

That's not the AC Adapter that I received with mine, although one with a C7 connector would have been better. I think the larger power bricks went out with the review samples, and they changed to a smaller one as one of the stretch goals during the campaign.

Here's the one I got with the most accurate measurements I can take. If the strain relief is not included, then I think the Larkbox and it's power brick are going to come in close to 0.25L

Edit: I found the campaign update for reaching the $400K stretch goal, and the official dimensions of the upgraded AC adapter are 56x56x30mm, but as you can see, that's not exactly what I measured.

Last edited:

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
No need to remove your entry, just adjust the numbers properly...! It's all for fun anyway...! ;^p

Bounding box is bounding box...! Otherwise, a "Hot Rod Exemption" could lead to a BeQuiet! tower cooler sticking out of an Inwin Chopin...! ;^p

Can we give it extra points just for standing straight?

• Haha
Reactions: timginter

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
That's not the AC Adapter that I received with mine, although one with a C7 connector would have been better. I think the larger power bricks went out with the review samples, and they changed to a smaller one as one of the stretch goals during the campaign.

Here's the one I got with the most accurate measurements I can take. If the strain relief is not included, then I think the Larkbox and it's power brick are going to come in close to 0.25L

Edit: I found the campaign update for reaching the $400K stretch goal, and the official dimensions of the upgraded AC adapter are 56x56x30mm, but as you can see, that's not exactly what I measured.

Go with the listed dims (56x56x30mm)...?

Can we give it extra points just for standing straight?

We could, but how do we know there is not some double-sided tape under there keeping it upright...? ;^p

Reactions: AlexTSG

dannycpham

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2019
I ran this with 2 different coolers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 FE
Case: Velka 5 Rev 2.0 (177 x 99 x 285 mm or 4.99L)
Cooler 1: Noctua L9A + Noctua A9x14 Chromax ran at 100% RPM
Cooler 2: Metalfish Z39 + Noctua A9x14 Chromax ran at 100% RPM

Cooler 1 Results: (15,410 * 13,386) / (4.99 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 185,055.77

Cinebench R23 30 Minute Run on Standard Mode: 15,410

Timespy: 13,386

Cooler 2 Results: (18,590* 13,386) / (4.99 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 223,243.79

Cinebench R23 30 Minute Run on Standard Mode: 18,590

Timespy: Same result as above: 13,386

I ran some C23 30 minute runs on ECO mode as well. They're quite a bit lower scores, but could be good reference for people.

Cooler 1 ECO Results: (10,577 * 13,386) / (4.99 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 127,017.19
Cooler 2 ECO Results: (12,460 * 13,386) / (4.99 ^ 1.5) / 100 = 149,629.78

Case Photos