Discussion Performance per litre - Round 4

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
Here's another entry. Very late to the party, and it will be destroyed by current hardware, but I don't mind. Been a long time fan of the PPL competition and wanted to be a part of it.

Case: fully custom sandwich-style with external fan. 115mm x 192mm x 246mm. Screws holding side panels added 2.5mm to all sides. Corner tabs added 1mm to top and bottom. +.239L for external fan.
Total volume= 5.67L

How did you calculate the 0.239 litre volume for the fan?

Meh, with a few extra bucks on an aftermarket cooler, it'd fit fine. Consider it a hotrod build. I'll allow it. (And have done similar in the past XD)

I suppose we could add the category of "hotrod" build or as an open air case . . .

. . . ..with a rectangular block and cylindrical/rectangular block . .. .

Bounding box is bounding box...! Otherwise, a "Hot Rod Exemption" could lead to a BeQuiet! tower cooler sticking out of an Inwin Chopin...! ;^p

or a rectangular block and rectangular block . .. .

we would just all need to agree on the definition. . .

aromachi

Average Stuffer
Dec 18, 2019
How did you calculate the 0.239 litre volume for the fan?
Vol of a cylinder (pi* r^2 *h). Had to subtract a little as the fan intersects with the bounding box created by the heads of the screws. I don't remember the exact numbers I used. The fan sits 31mm off the sidewall, and diameter is about 102mm. The fan is 2.5mm within the existing bounding box. Doing the calculation again I'm getting .232 L of added volume.

I suppose we could add the category of "hotrod" build or as an open air case . . .
On the bright side, most people cringe at this style, so I don't see this new category being exploited very often.

I would have to agree that true "open air" designs (like a ton of NFC builds) probably shouldn't be included in this competition. Hotrod cooler configs flirt with that definition for sure.

Last edited: