Discussion Performance per litre - Round 4

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I'm in the same boat, waiting on Big Navi and possible upgrade from 3900X to 5950X before joining this round ? then I can say peak-AMD achieved!

Big Navi for me as well, but I think I am gonna stick with my 3900X for now.

Zen 4 & RDNA3 though, that will be a fully new build! Probably AM5 / DDR5 / PCIe Gen5...?

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2020
I'm in the same boat, waiting on Big Navi and possible upgrade from 3900X to 5950X before joining this round ? then I can say peak-AMD achieved!

Also waiting for Big Navi, and then I'm gonna pray they will make a 3070 / big navi below 180mm so we can crunch some points in here! Also looking for the 5950X. Hope to run the 3070 and 5950X on 500W, gonna see how that will turn out.

Big Navi for me as well, but I think I am gonna stick with my 3900X for now.

Zen 4 & RDNA3 though, that will be a fully new build! Probably AM5 / DDR5 / PCIe Gen5...?

I've been looking at DDR5 etc as well, but from my understanding we will have to wait until mid 2021 at least for that.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Also waiting for Big Navi, and then I'm gonna pray they will make a 3070 / big navi below 180mm so we can crunch some points in here! Also looking for the 5950X. Hope to run the 3070 and 5950X on 500W, gonna see how that will turn out.

Big Navi Nano would be awesome, especially if there is a full-cover water block to match...!

I've been looking at DDR5 etc as well, but from my understanding we will have to wait until mid 2021 at least for that.

I will most likely wait until 2022 or so for a fully new system; by then any issues with the new AM5 (X670 chipset?) platform should be smoothed out, and same for DDR5 RAM (and hopefully pricing will not be so crazy as well)...

Also wanting to secure a Winter One with SPK for future Zen X/RDNAX build...!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: thelaughingman

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2020
General Entry Rules

Great competition Aux, I wonder whether there are any Google sheet / excel list of all the entries from round 1-4. That is, a complete hall of fame. I know the calculations have changed some, but there should be no issue to automatically recalculate with the known hardware. I'm writing a study where I would like this anyhow, so I could do it if I can get hold of the spreadsheet.

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
Great competition Aux, I wonder whether there are any Google sheet / excel list of all the entries from round 1-4. That is, a complete hall of fame. I know the calculations have changed some, but there should be no issue to automatically recalculate with the known hardware. I'm writing a study where I would like this anyhow, so I could do it if I can get hold of the spreadsheet.

All of the data is available on the forum, through the various ppl rounds. I have several excel sheets with the data in, but not with the same format.

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2020
All of the data is available on the forum, through the various ppl rounds. I have several excel sheets with the data in, but not with the same format.

Yes, I've seen pictures of the data in the other threads. Could you share the excel sheets with me?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
R23 is actually more interesting for sff since it lasts 10 min, so it will test the cooling better, it is not so forgiving as R20.

If you go to the File menu then check the Advanced Benchmarks options, it will give you a drop-down on the interface with the choices:

Off
10 minutes (throttle testing)
30 minutes (stability testing)

30 minute test, with temp monitoring, would be really interesting to see in some of the smaller SFF chassis offerings...!

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2020
Yeah, I see it. Could go to a round five.

Is this in general agreement with everyone?

Looks good. With only one entry this round you could even ask Diamorif if he could redo his entry with more upto-date software.
Also, not sure if you saw my last message, would it be possible for you to share the excel sheet with me for my studies?

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 5, 2018
If you go to the File menu then check the Advanced Benchmarks options, it will give you a drop-down on the interface with the choices:

Off
10 minutes (throttle testing)
30 minutes (stability testing)

30 minute test, with temp monitoring, would be really interesting to see in some of the smaller SFF chassis offerings...!

So what are we proposing, using the results from R23 on a 30 minute stability testing?

I for one, would be interested in such results.

Is everyone interested in this competition happy with that?
Probable path would be to ask @Diamorif to recalculate with r23. Would that be ok?

@Lucas how do you propose I send you the sheet?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So what are we proposing, using the results from R23 on a 30 minute stability testing?

Probable path would be to ask @Diamorif to recalculate with r23. Would that be ok?

If AMD would get their drivers in order in regards to Vulkan, then OctaneBench could become the perfect GPU Compute-based component for PPL testing...?

And then we could have a PPL competition that equally includes Linux, Windows, & ASi Macs...!

The REAL deal though, that would be a cross-platform (Linux/Windows/ASi Mac) benchmark that also can run on either AMD or Nvidia GPUs; so everyone can "run what they brung"... And I mean a benchmark that would stress BOTH CPU & GPU at the same time, all while monitoring / reporting assorted temps & clock speeds...!

Then we could really, Really, REALLY see who has the best PPL...!

Because a quick single run of R20 & Timespy will probably not show any "extended runtime" throttling issues...?!?

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2020

@Lucas how do you propose I send you the sheet?

Thanks, you could send it through email, I PM you! If you have it in google drive, you could give me viewing access and I can then copy it.

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Here's another entry. Very late to the party, and it will be destroyed by current hardware, but I don't mind. Been a long time fan of the PPL competition and wanted to be a part of it.

Case: fully custom sandwich-style with external fan. 115mm x 192mm x 246mm. Screws holding side panels added 2.5mm to all sides. Corner tabs added 1mm to top and bottom. +.239L for external fan.
Total volume= 5.67L

CPU: R5 1600
GPU: Zotac 1660 Ti

Cinebench: 2985
Octane: 135.50
Timespy: 6486

((2985 * 6486)/(5.67^1.5))/100 = 14339.92
((2985 * 135.50)/(5.67^1.5))/100 = 299.58

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Case: fully custom sandwich-style with external fan. 115mm x 192mm x 246mm. Screws holding side panels added 2.5mm to all sides. Corner tabs added 1mm to top and bottom. +.239L for external fan.
Total volume= 5.67L
PPL volume is measured as a bounding box, so that protruding CPU cooler is gonna increase your overall volume measurement more than the notated 0.239L, which will change your overall PPL calculation...

Reactions: DrHudacris

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
PPL volume is measured as a bounding box, so that protruding CPU cooler is gonna increase your overall volume measurement more than the notated 0.239L, which will change your overall PPL calculation...
Yeah, you're totally right. That really destroys my numbers. I'll probably just withdraw my entry at this point.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Meh, with a few extra bucks on an aftermarket cooler, it'd fit fine. Consider it a hotrod build. I'll allow it. (And have done similar in the past XD)

• Haha
Reactions: timginter

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Yeah, you're totally right. That really destroys my numbers. I'll probably just withdraw my entry at this point.

No need to remove your entry, just adjust the numbers properly...! It's all for fun anyway...! ;^p

Meh, with a few extra bucks on an aftermarket cooler, it'd fit fine. Consider it a hotrod build. I'll allow it. (And have done similar in the past XD)

Bounding box is bounding box...! Otherwise, a "Hot Rod Exemption" could lead to a BeQuiet! tower cooler sticking out of an Inwin Chopin...! ;^p

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
No need to remove your entry, just adjust the numbers properly...! It's all for fun anyway...! ;^p
I think that would do too much damage to my pride ;) Maybe I'll have a new build by PPL Round 7. Can't promise that I won't try pulling the same edgy shenanigans though.. :)

• Haha
Reactions: DrHudacris