Prototype Oki-Doki : a GPU bifurcation and watercooling dedicated case, from 9 to 14L

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
then there is just a really small difference between the two quotations XD

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
After numerous issues, I'm currently testing the fourth iterations of the Adibou saga.

Only 9.2L, around 200 X 200 X 230 mm.

A single Meanwell EPP-400-12 PSU is powering a Supermicro X11SSV-Q (supporting Embedded power), an i7 7700 and my two trusty GTX 1070.

These little guys are cooled by an EK 180 mm rad and one of the new XSPC Ultra Thin 120 mm rad.
The pump is an EK DDC 3.2 fed by an Alphacool Mini-Res.

CPU reaches 65°C Under Prime95, run simultaneously with Octane Bench on both 1070s (peak at around 40°). Ambiant temp is around 20°.

I'll do a more thorough post when I'll get a decent camera.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Surprisingly, of the three prototypes, this is the easiest build to build and work with !
The panels are all independent and with some slack in the tubes, components are pretty accessible

I had to rebuild it three times though :

- First, the pump flow was very weak during the leak test / bleeding process. I since tried an other PSU and the pump was running full tilt again.
- Then, one of my 1070s was not well recognized.
- Finally, my early G-Unique PDCB does'nt like the Meanwell EPP-400-12. Upon shutdown, the 12V rail would remain ON...

Solutions

- After some BIOS configuration, bifurcation works like a charm again.

- I removed the G-Unique.
I'm simply powering the motherboard through the 8-Pin EPS connector only, which is the beauty of this Supermicro board.
The pump and fan are powered by the onboard Molex power connector.

I had some issues in the past with the Embedded function but I was using a 4-Pin connector only. Let's see how it goes. Right now it works beautifully.

Things to do :

- The reservoir is not trapping bubbles, I need to had some foam. I already ordered it in December but I was too impatient to get that build done…
@BaK you were right my friend ;)

- Impatience also resulted in some misplaced holes on some panels. Need to reproduce some panels.

- Find the elusive Silverstone FW181 to match the 120 fan scheme, and take advantage of PWM control.

Last edited:

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Hey, I really like how you're making good use of flatpack and the cube standoffs, can you link me to the standoff you're using?

Supercluster

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2016
At this point i'm simply bumping the thread.

People should see this thread (I've reviewed multiple times over the months and still find little
solutions I've missed previously), because it offers a unique insight into how a proper system is built.

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks mate, I appreciate your support :)
My thread is more of an iterative process happening over almost a year and looks pretty messy.

I may create a new thread just for this build, which really is the last one regarding my take on dual-GPUs systems.

Hey, I really like how you're making good use of flatpack and the cube standoffs, can you link me to the standoff you're using?

Thanks ! Building an enclosure with this method may not be the most elegant way to do it but it is certainly the cheapest and the most pratical.
You can find those 12 x 12 x 12 threaded cubes here :
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/S...Threaded-3xM3-12x12-mm::4467.html?language=en

Reactions: neyurt

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Congrats!
No free space, how I like it! :D

- First, the pump flow was very weak during the leak test / bleeding process. I since tried an other PSU and the pump was running full tilt again.
So it finally was the Meanwell as you thought, I am glad you find the source of the problem! :thumb:

A single Meanwell EPP-400-12 PSU is powering a Supermicro X11SSV-Q (supporting Embedded power), an i7 7700 and my two trusty GTX 1070.
Impressive!
If you had asked I am sure a 600W or even a bigger PSU would have been recommanded to you by the community.
And the pump? Are you now able to run it from the Meanwell too?

- The reservoir is not trapping bubbles, I need to had some foam. I already ordered it in December but I was too impatient to get that build done…@BaK you were right my friend ;)
Props to @WiSK, he helped me a lot back in the days @OCN and that's him who suggested to add aquarium foam into this tiny (and not so well designed) reservoir.
I guess you should get the foam soon, let us know how it improves things!

Oh, and what do you think of the slim rad and fan combo?
Are you able to tell how it improves temps?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Congrats!

If you had asked I am sure a 600W or even a bigger PSU would have been recommanded to you by the community.
And the pump? Are you now able to run it from the Meanwell too?

In my use scenario, with a stock 6700K, total power consumption never went above 370W :)
With a 7700, it should be a bit lower.

On the first pic above, you can see an onboard Molex connector.
I'm using it to power both the pump and the 10W 180 mm fan.

Congrats!
Oh, and what do you think of the slim rad and fan combo?
Are you able to tell how it improves temps?

From the very quick tests I made, the temps are pretty in par with my previous dual 240 radiator setup.
Except that I traded a 95W for a 65W CPU, and of course total silence.

But yes, it does make a difference, just to respect the watercooling axiom (one 120 rad / unit to cool)

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 26, 2018
Thanks mate, I appreciate your support :)
My thread is more of an iterative process happening over almost a year and looks pretty messy.

I may create a new thread just for this build, which really is the last one regarding my take on dual-GPUs systems.

Thanks ! Building an enclosure with this method may not be the most elegant way to do it but it is certainly the cheapest and the most pratical.
You can find those 12 x 12 x 12 threaded cubes here :
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/S...Threaded-3xM3-12x12-mm::4467.html?language=en

Yah, looking at your build gives some good idea on how I can put my own builds together. Thanks!

Reactions: aquelito

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
On the first pic above, you can see an onboard Molex connector.
I'm using it to power both the pump and the 10W 180 mm fan.
I see now that you already mentionned it, missed it earlier sorry...
Nice to see that the mobo is able to 'improve' what it gets from the PSU in order to deliver what the pump needs.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I intend to use your One2 solution, as I already did on my test Bench.

However, after two weeks of light use, this system was starting to crash just after POST.

So, right now, just to rule out the PSU and motherboard, I am powering the whole system straight from the Meanwell, including both GPUs.
No load switch of any kind right now.
I'm simply powering the motherboard through the 8-Pin EPS connector only, which is the beauty of this Supermicro board.
The pump and fan are powered by the onboard Molex power connector.

I'll see how it goes from there and as soo as your One2 board is ready, I'll throw it in ;)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@BaK : the aquarium foam works wonder ! I only had to purge a little liquid to be able to open the res and add the foam.

Again, I am glad I spent way more time working on ergonomy than the looks : this case is the smallest I made but the easiest to work with by far !

Now I can properly bleed my loop, even though it takes ages.

After 12H of running the pump full tilt, I still have some air in the GPU waterblocks.
The little res is saturated with trapped bubbles.

And the usual can-scale shots :

I put this top cover to use it as a kind of tray (and of course for safety reasons).

Last edited: