News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
1660(ti) might be doable, but it's bigger than the substrate used in the 1050(ti) o_o
also the 1660ti has 6 VRAM dies while the 1050 has 4, so unless they use double-capacity packs...

Can also be placed in the back!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
they're mostly crowded out at the back though o_o (different card pictured. couldn't find the one for galax)

not sure how easy would it be to move those around to make space for two more ._. (also not sure of stability from through-board traces)

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I'm curious about the appeal of such a card, what do you guys intend to do with a 1050-ish equivalent?
Well I'm looking for GTX1070 level performance in a low profile card, which I am aware might not be this card, but I want the tiniest PC possible that'll give me 1080p/144hz in almost all games with high settings.

Reactions: annasoh323

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
1024 shaders on the LP card or bust (compared to 1050Ti). GDDR6 would be nice to have as it uses less power. 6GB memory may not be feasible both physically and financially (for them) for the LP market, so I'm fine with 4GB.

Reactions: smitty2k1

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
1024 shaders on the LP card or bust (compared to 1050Ti). GDDR6 would be nice to have as it uses less power. 6GB memory may not be feasible both physically and financially (for them) for the LP market, so I'm fine with 4GB.
Good to see you around, fellow LP friend.

Reactions: theGryphon

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Well I'm looking for GTX1070 level performance in a low profile card, which I am aware might not be this card, but I want the tiniest PC possible that'll give me 1080p/144hz in almost all games with high settings.
When might we reasonably expect such performance from a LP card? I would think it would be at least one, maybe two, generations away (i.e. 7nm and new architecture). I'm willing to be a little blindly optimistic though. I'd like to build my brother a nice little backpack portable machine he can bring back and forth between college. In exchange, he will owe me all the favors and render me all the things that I want.

Reactions: Jello

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
When might we reasonably expect such performance from a LP card? I would think it would be at least one, maybe two, generations away (i.e. 7nm and new architecture). I'm willing to be a little blindly optimistic though. I'd like to build my brother a nice little backpack portable machine he can bring back and forth between college. In exchange, he will owe me all the favors and render me all the things that I want.

I have no clue, but I also like to think 7nm cards will be the answer. Hopefully a good battle starts between AMD and Nvidia.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I have no clue, but I also like to think 7nm cards will be the answer. Hopefully a good battle starts between AMD and Nvidia.
Well, to be sure, nothing really to be said until the full specs release and independent benchmark folks get a crack at it. We'll just have to stay hopeful.

Side note: Should it be "an LP card" or "a LP card"? Phonetically, it should be the former (pronounced "ell") but realistically, and by extending what it's short for, the latter makes sense. Somebody take away my keyboard...

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Side note: Should it be "an LP card" or "a LP card"? Phonetically, it should be the former (pronounced "ell") but realistically, and by extending what it's short for, the latter makes sense. Somebody take away my keyboard...
depends on how would you be reading the sentence out o_o
personally i'd do "an LP" for the letters as-is

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Well, to be sure, nothing really to be said until the full specs release and independent benchmark folks get a crack at it. We'll just have to stay hopeful.

You're correct, it is "an LP" because you pronounce the acronym "el pee" according to the AP style guide. If you write out the whole word, "low profile" then it becomes "a low profile."

Also, my boss is crazy about grammar. I'm still stuck in a world where we have to put two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence while typing... sigh.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Also, my boss is crazy about grammar. I'm still stuck in a world where we have to put two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence while typing... sigh.

That made me laugh. Had to do that for school, completely ignored it once I got out. ;)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
whoa i never had this o_o intresting
does he answer calls with ahoy-hoy?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I think it's reasonable to expect this to compete against a RX 580 and with only needing power from the slot so this price range looks expected but I hope it's not the minimum price.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Well the EVGA and Gigabyte product photos leaked for the 1660. Nothing low profile: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-and-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-(non-ti)-photos-leak.html

MSI too: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-spotted-listed-with-6gb-gddr5.html

I'm still hoping to see a 1650ti low profile once that product trickles in

probably will be replacing the 1060 3GB ._.

I must question the performance of anything lower than it though. the 1660ti was the ballpark of a 1070, which makes the 1660 non-ti POSSIBLY on the same ballpark as a 1060. not quite promising for the 1650ti now ._.

Reactions: owliwar