GPU Now this could be big: R9 Nano!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
There's no golden bullet. If you can guarantee a constant level of power delivery you can tune your circuits to minimise driving frequencies in the audible range, but that doesn't work for modern GPUs that use aggressive voltage shifting and segmented power gating. Using more coils to spread the load adds cost (of both the coils, and the extra copies of other components needed to drive them) and board size. Other DC-DC conversion methods either are far too bulky, too inefficient (It's no good having a 150W output if it requires an 1800W input and dumps an extra 1650W of heat into the case), or both (as well as being expensive).
It may be more viable to use mechanical fixes, like using potted encapsulated inductors and placing these in a soundproofed enclosure, but this adds extra bulk, extra cost, and could cause thermal issues.
Switching to lower distribution voltages inside the case (e.g. 3V rather than 12V) would reduce the noise due to the smaller step-down, but would dramatically reduce the maximum cable length (OK for ITX, no good for a regular PC), require much thicker gauge wires, and would not be compatible with current ATX specifications.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
That might be a reason why the coil whine is so present on the Nano: AMD wanted to reduce board size as much as possible, so they didn't have space for as many coils as they would normally use. Maybe some third party manufacturer will make a custom PCB that solves this issue, who knows.

It would actually be very interesting to see a GPU with a small secondary section that has all the coils potted in a small enclosure, preferably in a material that allows decent heat dissipation to the enclosure itself. The nano is rather pricey already, maybe something like that could've been in the budget.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
They could just pack all the coils on the back, since these don't require (much?) cooling. The VRMs are different from these, but I'd guess these could be placed on the back, connected 'through' the PCB.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The back of the Nano is pretty packed already, though. Maybe some of these components are coils, actually.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
HWC actually did a piece on coil whine in 2014 and tested a bunch of cards:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...2-graphics-card-coil-whine-investigation.html

While the short length (670/760/970) Nvidia designs have a wider pcb, I do not think it's large enough to be a factor for enough surface area for more coils. Does anyone recall any instances where someone with one of these small cards had severe coil whine? The MSI 760 ITX I had for some time didn't have any. The acoustics on it were actually rather impressive - just not enough power for my usage scenarios.

Over the past few generations, I've noted AMD reference designs getting panned for coil whine whereas the Nvidia counterparts were not. Of my personal experiences with reference cards in recent times - 290, 290x, 680, 690, 780 Ti, 980 - the 290 and 980 both had coil whine, regardless of PSU used.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I believe part of that issue is media bias.

Also, my Gigabyte R7-360 does mot have audible coil whine, and I believe (could be wrong) it is a reference PCB.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Does anyone know of where to get a CAD model of this card in reference design?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Accurate models are hard to come by I've found. The Nano just came out so unless AMD is willing to share the CAD model I don't think anything will be available anytime soon.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I have noticable coil whine with the 970 reference PCB on my GALAX GTX 970 Gamer OC (the short 179mm version), but only at framerates above 100Hz or so, which my display can't display anyway. Maybe it could not have coil whine at 120 as well if the framerate is stable.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Got my R9 Nano last night. It's on it's way back this morning (return).

Loudest coil whine I have experienced on a card, ever. Pushing about 45 - 60 frames it was quite noticeable - over an AP181 fan in my TJ08E no less. 100+fps was absolutely insane. As my intent is to push to a minimum of 100 frames this simply won't do.

Back to the GTX 980 until next gen.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Why didn't you try another Nano card ? If they all had it, the internet would be flooded with Nvidia fanboys by now. You must have had bad luck I'm afraid.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
HWC's unit had the same issue, I just didn't realize it was this severe.

As I'm already playing panel lotteries to try and get the monitor I want, don't want to deal with GPU lotteries as well :eek:.