GPU [Rumor] GeForce GTX 1630 could launch soon

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Videocardz is saying that we could be seeing a new entry level GeForce GTX 1630 soon.

NVIDIA preparing GeForce GTX 1630 graphics card, its first GTX x30 model - VideoCardz.com

While this isn't going to be your first choice for running the latest games, it may be suitable for casual gaming, or those just looking for more outputs for a multi-monitor productivity setup.

A GTX 1630 should have better video encode and decode support than the older GT 1030, but it's still unlikely that it will support hardware decode for the newer AV1 codec, which is a pity, as these cards are ideal for compact HTPC builds.

Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix [NEW] | NVIDIA Developer

This is likely to go head to head with AMDs Radeon 6400 and may give another option for those looking for compact half height, single slot graphics cards, and a GPU that doesn't require external power.

I'll probably be sticking with my trusty GT 1030 for a while longer, as I only use it for troubleshooting.

Reactions: BaK

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Gave my GT1030 to a friend's son, who only wanted to play CS:GO, Rocket league and Minecraft at 1080p. He's very happy with it. He was limited to low profile GPU only, since he's using a refurbished tiny office computer.

Those tiny GPU are perfectly fine for casual gaming and refurbished office PC that often lacks PCIe power connector.

Reactions: AlexTSG

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
since it is meant to replace the 1050Ti, I assume this might be just a down-clocked GTX1650 (TU117) - so basically a T1000 performance/specs wise

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
More info has come out. The launch date is 31 May, and Videocardz has posted a comparison with the various GTX 1650 SKUs.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1630 to feature 512 CUDA cores, 4GB 64-bit memory, launches May 31st - VideoCardz.com

From the specs it looks like this is giving Nvidia the opportunity to sell GPUs with dies that have underperforming cores (that it can disable) and the worst binned DDR6 memory on cheap to produce PCBs.

However, that doesn't necessarily make it a terrible product, provided the price is right.

As @GuilleAcoustic said, a card like this can turn an older office PC into an entry level gaming PC, suitable for Esports titles, for not much money.

Reactions: Arboreal