GPU AMD R9 Nano: a suitable (but cheap) upgrade *from* this card?

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
I've been pretty happy with how my R9 Nano has lasted me in performance so far, but the recent reveal of Half-Life Alyx and its 6GB VRAM requirement gave me cause for concern: Can I still get away with playing the game on this GPU? Other VR titles haven't seem to have given me an issue so far, and if things felt stuttery (as it did in Nvidia-centric games like EVE: Valkyrie), I'd just lower certain settings and be off.

Still, in the event that I do need to upgrade, I wanted to know what would be my most viable option in terms of GPUs. I don't mind hunting down for second hand cards, as at the moment I'm not quite that financially fluid (company closed a year or so back), which is why I was debating about the GPUs that would be considered a "step up" in terms of performance.

A note about certain restrictions: Since my chassis is almost completely occupied, there's no room for a full-width GPU. Unfortunately even if the ZOTAC mini line of cards would still be too long, leaving me with only the Gigabyte mini or similar line of cards that would be a viable fit. Another would be power draw, as I prefer this new GPU to still use the same 8-pin power connector, otherwise I'd have to do a lot more unscrewing just to get an extra 6-pin in there as with the case of the 2070Super mini or 1080Ti mini...Not that I would be able to as it would have to abide by a third rule: It must be $200 USD or less.

I've heard some people recommend a 6GB GTX 1060mini, but from what I understand, that card would actually be a step down, considering how much better AMD's drivers have been getting and its advantage with APIs like Vulkan and DX12. The 1070mini might actually be a more suitable starting point based on what I've seen but I'm uncertain given my limited experience with Nvidia GPUs. Others also say 1080mini but the prices might be prohibitive...

Which leads me to the AMD side of things. Is an 8GB RX 580 ITX considered a step up considering Navi advances, or does my R9 Nano still have an edge? It seems at this point only a Vega Nano would be the likeliest option coming from Team Red, but considering how they're not as ubiquitous as other ITX cards, can one even acquire a second hand one at an affordable price?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
A 1660 or 1660 super itx card (maybe even a 1660ti) maybe be able to be had for ~200. All should be moderate performance increases.

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
A 1660 or 1660 super itx card (maybe even a 1660ti) maybe be able to be had for ~200. All should be moderate performance increases.
Isn't the 1660 still lower than the R9 Nano in terms of performance? I thought the 1070mini/1080mini would be more in line with something that performs slightly better?

...Or does the 1660 super actualy outclass those two?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
After a little more research,I was a little wrong. When overclocked its pretty close to 1660ti Performance, while being lower powered, and quieter.
However, it has more vram, albeit slower (since hbm memory is super fast).

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
if you go to 13mins and 50seconds in on this video, you will see performance between a 1660 ti and nano(@1440p). I think this should be helpful, since 1440p is more vram intensive, and it might help you get an idea if it will work for your be intentions.

Some games it's close, and some games the 1660ti clearly wins. But is it worth the difference? That's up to you.

1660ti is pretty close to 1070 (non-ti) performance. But the 1070 will have 8gb vram.

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
I think this should be helpful, since 1440p is more vram intensive, and it might help you get an idea if it will work for your be intentions.

Some games it's close, and some games the 1660ti clearly wins. But is it worth the difference? That's up to you.

1660ti is pretty close to 1070 (non-ti) performance. But the 1070 will have 8gb vram.
I just want to be able to run Half-Life:Alyx. I already have all the gear setup. My only drawback is that I am 2GB short on VRAM...

...but Valve'll let me still play the game, right? If I can cheat my way by just having 4GB then I'll still be a happy camper since that means I don't need to upgrade (much rather spend time/money on constructing a new rig from scratch). I don't need to have the fastest framerates but I do just want to be able to play the game!

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Depending on how much you're willing to spend or wait, Powercolor's 5700 ITX variant may be someday released internationally, or you could order directly from the Japanese Amazon.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Depending on how much you're willing to spend or wait, Powercolor's 5700 ITX variant may be someday released internationally, or you could order directly from the Japanese Amazon.
... but that definitely won't be $200.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
... but that definitely won't be $200.
You're right, I missed that part. Unfortunately you're either stuck with the R9 Nano, which is a great card still, or moving sideways with a 16 series card. Even then, I don't think you can really find one under $200

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
You're right, I missed that part. Unfortunately you're either stuck with the R9 Nano, which is a great card still, or moving sideways with a 16 series card. Even then, I don't think you can really find one under $200
I don't mind sticking with the Nano to be frank. But I just wanted to know if I can get away with playing HL:Alyx on it given that no other VR game has given me problems.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
It's worth holding onto it until it releases then testing it out. If not, maybe then some newer gpus will be out (5600xt) that can. And are smaller or maybe some of the older ones (like the 1070ti or 1080 will be cheaper when some newer cards are released). Unless you find a really good deal between now and then. When is Alyx expected to come out?

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
It's worth holding onto it until it releases then testing it out. If not, maybe then some newer gpus will be out (5600xt) that can. And are smaller or maybe some of the older ones (like the 1070ti or 1080 will be cheaper when some newer cards are released). Unless you find a really good deal between now and then. When is Alyx expected to come out?
March...Valve time.