Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
As an enthusiast myself, I totally understand we are all trying to go for that holy grail of performance/noise/size combo. I would do the same if I had the time. I appreciate you guys push those limits for me and I will definitely try to implement as many updates as I can in later iterations.

In relation to the test results so far, I would just like to say that stress testing the K's and X's we are talking about sustain power draw of 100W+ (or even reaching 120W). Just looking at the cooler alone e.g. NH-L12S, best in its class for SFF (probably) and I quote from Noctua

"The NH-L12S is a low-profile quiet cooler designed for use in small form factor cases and HTPC environments. While it provides first rate performance in its class, it is not suitable for overclocking and should be used with care on CPUs with more than 95W TDP (Thermal Design Power)."

Maybe heat transfer is already choking at the cooler, and SFF didn't help also. LoL can't be too harsh on Steck :p

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
We are just trying to find the limits of the Steck and see is there are way to improve it.
I will admit Chinaman has a point. As I mentioned, my RVZ02 does not have any issues reaching 3.9 GHz with the same CPU clock and voltage settings and fan configuration I had shared. I am inclined to think this has been a learning experience for myself and for your case. I probably should just settle on an AIO and ditch the blaring loudness of a Delta fan. At the end of the day, even at its best, an air cooler will never as heat resilient as an AIO and it will encounter more issues than an AIO ever will. On the flip side, I am thinking we could at least knock off a couple degrees Celsius from the current side panels with some tweaking.

Reactions: macbosco

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
@macbosco If you happen to have the CAD file in STL or something general for the side panel, I could look into a CFD analysis and optimization study. It would take me a little bit to accomplish but it might be able to give you some insight into how to improve airflow without sacrificing too much rigity. I suppose I could bust out the calipers and measure everything but it would be much easier with the CAD.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Don't get me wrong, I am totally with you guys testing Steck this way. I would do the same also.:thumb:

At the same time, I don't want to raise your expectation too high when I said I would be doing the updates. There is a chance that not ALL can be achieved, I still have to discuss any technical issues involved, such as the panel ventilation vs strength.

Do you have any favorite 240mm AIOs, @macbosco? I am highly considering just doing a return on the Noctua and switching to an AIO.

My favorite AIO will be the latest Corsair H100i RGB Plat. It is addressable RGB. I got the RGB one just couple weeks before this one is released:mad:. This one is not the cheapest tho. I am now using Coolermaster, mainly due to costs. I have bought components enough to build like 3-4 sets of systems for this project. So I don't have much to spare in terms of budget. Coolermaster stock fans are quite noisy... in terms of performance temp stays at low 60s after couple hours gaming. In fact more noise comes from the graphics card.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
You are correct though on the number of holes. Adding more might introduce the risk of more flex.

A possible option (but might be bad for logistics) will be acrylic side panels instead of TG. I would think acrylic can easily be laser cut with more hole/vent pattern and since it wont be attached via magnet, it will be screwed as well, so it can be the same thickness as the TG.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
A little bit of inside from my side on the ideal top fan configuration.
A little warning about the following sound data: it's subjektive.

Base test with extra top but without fans:
Temperatures:
CPU 70°C (the offset of the 2700x is accounted for) GPU 77°C
Fan speed on all fans is around 950-100RPM.

First config:
3x 92mm nf-A9 with 25mm thick spacer frames.
CPU 63°C GPU 72°C
Sound: not loud, but a slight humming annoyed me.

Second config:
2x 120mm nf A12x25 with 20mm spacer frames.
CPU 62°C GPU 72°C
Sound: a bit quieter than config one, but a slightly more annoying (deeper) sound signature.

Third config:
2x 120mm nf A12x25 with 15mm spacer frames.
CPU 64°C GPU 70°C
Sound: similar to the second config, but less annoying sound signature. Stayed with this one, at least for now.

I also tested the A12x25 without the spacer, similar noise (maybe a bit deeper) but slightly worse performance.
And I also tested the be quiet pure wings 2 without and with 20mm spacer, generally worse performance and louder, but not to a point (not even close, they're great fans for the price) that I wouldn't recommend them and they're way better value.

Edit: the 3 92mm fans could be a (good) option without spacers, need to try that once I have a bit more time again.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Ok Guys, I've tried quickly!

And I did some mistakes of course, so to fit the panels, I've cracked the plexi, etc.

With a CAD everything should be easier!

The lasercut shop, in my opinion, hasn't done a good job: the plexi thickness is 1.5mm, and because they've used the laser too strong, the plexi warmed up and bent.

I think the best will be to use a 1,8/2mm, 1,5mm washer to screw the panel, and maybe a very smaller hole dimension!

Now are 4.7dia, maybe 4.5mm diameter, keeping the existing distance.

In my case with this panels, of course, the CPU reach always 86 degrees but stay longer on high frequencies (I'll try better tomorrow morning)

Tested with a room temp of 22 degree, AIDA Stress Test, everything AUTO in the Bios.

Anyway, IT'S COOL!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
A little bit of inside from my side on the ideal top fan configuration.
A little warning about the following sound data: it's subjektive.

Base test with extra top but without fans:
Temperatures:
CPU 70°C (the offset of the 2700x is accounted for) GPU 77°C
Fan speed on all fans is around 950-100RPM.

First config:
3x 92mm nf-A9 with 25mm thick spacer frames.
CPU 63°C GPU 72°C
Sound: not loud, but a slight humming annoyed me.

Second config:
2x 120mm nf A12x25 with 20mm spacer frames.
CPU 62°C GPU 72°C
Sound: a bit quieter than config one, but a slightly more annoying (deeper) sound signature.

Third config:
2x 120mm nf A12x25 with 15mm spacer frames.
CPU 64°C GPU 70°C
Sound: similar to the second config, but less annoying sound signature. Stayed with this one, at least for now.

I also tested the A12x25 without the spacer, similar noise (maybe a bit deeper) but slightly worse performance.
And I also tested the be quiet pure wings 2 without and with 20mm spacer, generally worse performance and louder, but not to a point (not even close, they're great fans for the price) that I wouldn't recommend them and they're way better value.
Hey man! How did you get that temp? 70 degrees are way lower than mine! Which cooler are you using again? How did you set up the 2700X?
Sorry for all these questions!

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
Hey man! How did you get that temp? 70 degrees are way lower than mine! Which cooler are you using again? How did you set up the 2700X?
Sorry for all these questions!
My 2700x is running at 3.75Ghz with 1.15V. I think this should answer your question.

Edit: I also disabled hyper threading.

Last edited:

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
I know it might be a bit *off* from the original sleek desing language, back have you considered putting spacers in the glass panels on either side and lengthing the screws to get more airflow in and around? Shouldnt need much. I know this will make the OCD among us a bit batty bit it might be a viable option, specifically for the GPU getting starved for airflow.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Yea I have not included enough flat head screws. Will pack more with finalized packaging.

They are just common M3 screws. You should be able find those in any hardware stores e.g. home depot. Length longer than 4mm will be fine.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Performance update: the panels should be updated.

Here to screenshot of RealBench results (it is a very good way to test the system with this software!)

Like I was thinking, with the new panels the CPU stay more at higher clocks, not going uder 3.7GHZ.

With the original one, goes also till 3.45GHZ. And this influence the final results and performance of course!

@macbosco could you please share the CAD files at least of the 3 panels? With the exact position for the screw will be perfect!

Thank you so much again for this opportunity!

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Yea I have not included enough flat head screws. Will pack more with finalized packaging.

They are just common M3 screws. You should be able find those in any hardware stores e.g. home depot. Length longer than 4mm will be fine.
Cool! The problem is they all are curved headed at Home Depot and/or they do not come in black.

Last edited: