Log New to SFF and need some help with a build list for S4 Mini

ssbelmont

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Nov 13, 2020
I am in the process of building an NCase M1 Ryzen 9, 3080 RTX build. I came across the S4 Mini case and now I would like build an S4 Mini Gaming Travel rig. Many of the videos on YT are old so was hoping to get the insights from SFF experts on a build list.

I'd like to be able to play games that require high FPS and don't mind carrying a brick around. I'd like a reliable build that can perform when being used for hours. Im not sure if I should go with an AMD or Intel build so hoping to get some guidance.

Is the S4 Mini still the best case to use? I really like the idea of being able to carry the rig in a backpack so that is a must.

I am ready to buy all the parts today so any guidance is appreciated.

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
I don't think you'll be able to fit a 3080 into a S4 Mini. Just looking at the spec sheet the S4 Mini supports up to a 215mm cooler and most of the 3000 series cards are 240+mm. If you pull off the cooler, there's some PCB's that fit, but the watercooling challenge is not something that is easily assembled.

If you're set on this exact case and a 3000 series card, you might want to wait a few months for the watercooling blocks or a SFF card to come out. In addition, I'd highly recommend looking into the S4 Mini watercooling projects elsewhere on the forum to get an idea of how challenging of a build this would be.

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
I think it's best to wait for the lower end Nvidia 3000 and AMD Navi2 cards to come out. The best GPU that fits in the S4 mini is probably the ZOTAC 2070 super, but it's safe to assume better options will come up in the coming months.