Building up shopping list for new SFF build

Rick0

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
BIG POST BELOW :D

Hello everyone,

My name is Rick and I'm new to this forum.
I was tired of using my laptop, which is getting old also, so I've decided to go on with an SFF build next.
Found this forum by looking at Tekeverything youtube channel. The guy (Jay I think) did some serious reviews and I found it really interesting, so here I am.
I've built many PCs in my life but this is the 1st one I'm gonna build in a small form factor.

I'm gonna use it essentially for gaming and some webbrowsing. I want to build something that will be functionnal for the next 3-4 years. I'd like to be mobile, and to be able to bring it anywhere by putting it in a bag.
I'm still unsure about certain components, that's why I came to ask you guys a few questions or advices to make the best choice for that config.

For now it looks like this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sFCZTH
It looks a bit expensive, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to lower the price much, as I'd like quite a powerful gaming rig and I need to get myself a screen.

1. CASE
As I want something portable, at first, I wanted to go with a Sentry as it looked sexy and small enough, but due to availability and price tag, I searched a bit more and found S4 Mini to be sweet too, but the same problems were present. So I found MC600 from logic Supply to suit all my needs. It may not be as 'finished' design wise that the two others, but it is available, with a relatively decent pricing and functionnal. As it is quite neutral, it will allow me to custom paint it drill some extra holes in it or things like that.
What's your opinion on that case, I've read this thread and I'll keep an eye on it, as I'm going to build something quite similar.
I'll see if I can get an extra lid as mentionned in the above thread, as I'll be cutting holes in it for vent.

1. CPU / MOBO
I'm hesitating between the two platforms below:
  • AM4 mobo / Ryzen7
  • X299 2066 Mobo / I7 7740X processor
I'm thinking Ryzen at the moment, as it has a lower TDP and is excellent value for money. It is also available right now, but when he will be old, I will probably have to replace motherboard and CPU.
The upcoming intel platform on the other hand, is quite expensive but probably a bit more futureproof as the i9s will fit on the same socket. That being said SFF motherboards are not even available yet, and will likely be pricey.
Do you guys have any advice/ recommandation?
  1. RAM
For the ram, I just want to make sure I can fit any type of RAM dimension wise.
I mean, is there any kind of ram we should prefer when building up a SFF case?
I heard about low profile ram, is that something I should consider?
Is this small enough?
  1. GPU
As I'll be gaming a lot with this machine, I'd like something quite durable through time and performance.
So I'll try to fit the best GPU I can in there. From what I found this will be likely be a 1060, unless there are any other alternative that are not much more expensive.
I've seen some 1070 mini but they're a bit pricey. 1080mini is out of the question as it is too long. I don't wanna cut the back of the case or the GPU heatsink itself.

1. Power Supply
Here is the part I'm less sure about.
According to my future build on PC part picker, such system will require 250W of power.
I would prefer to avoid adding anything else that generate too much heat inside the case.
What would be the best solution for me? HDPlex + Power brick? (300W?)
What are exactly the custom solutions that G-Unique offers?
Is a PicoPSU worth getting and power sufficient for such configuration?
According to the dimensions and space left in the case, what should I get and what shouldn't I?

I know that's a big one, but I want to make sure about my build before I start actually buying the stuff.
Once I'll get everything defined correctly and some of my questions answered, I'll start buying the components, and I will create a new thread to show how my config is building up bit by bits.
As you may have understood, I'm new to SFF building, and therefore open to any advices.

Well, I thank you all for your help and time.
Rick0

Last edited:
Reactions: odeniz
Mar 6, 2017
1. I'd go with AMD, Intel is being pretty anti-consumer.

1. Your RAM should fit just fine.

1. There does exist a 1080Ti mini, but it is again too long. You may be able to see if @guryhwa will make you a case, he has been prototyping one similar to the S4 Mini.

1. I don't know if an HDPLEX unit would fit in an MC600. But if you do end up getting a 1080Ti Mini, you would need nearly 400W, which I have read an HDPLEX can do, but I wouldn't recommend it. PicoPSU will definitely not work, probably not even at 250W.

Reactions: odeniz and Soul_Est

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
X299 2066 Mobo / I7 7740X processor

The X299E-ITX/ac does NOT support the Kaby Lake-X CPUs. So you'd have to bump up to at least the 7800X.

Also, you have the Noctua L9x65 in the parts list, but that's too tall. For a Ryzen build the L9a would fit if you want to stick with Noctua.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Also keep in mind, Coffee Lake should be coming in a few months or so...?

6 core / 12 thread consumer CPU from Intel...

Reactions: Biowarejak

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Fairly obvious that Ryzen is 'already here'...

Just reminding of another (forthcoming) 6 core product on the Intel side that is directed towards the Consumer market (as opposed to X299 & the HEDT market)...

EasyEd

What's an ITX?
Jul 22, 2017
Hey All,

First post.

I am going to build a new SFF PC and am curious about some of the comments above as I struggle with the same base issue - ryzen or x299.

What is wrong with x299 that makes it a joke?

Why can't ryzen exceed 4 GHz? My main game is FSX an old game widely played and not updated and as a result is all about single core speed an still makes poor use of GPUs. If you can afford the extra dollars why ryzen? What validation says ryzen 2 will be faster, use current mobos and when?

I'm on pins an needles awaiting the asrock x299 mitx mobo in 3.5 weeks and hoping it will match with the coolermaster elite 130 as I want a cube. Talk about great potential.

If the OP isn't in a rush maybe it is worth some thought.

I just thought I'd jump in seeing the age old Intel vs amd kerfuffle. I have owned both systems and don't have a strong preference. I tend to buy whoever is in the lead and want some level of future proofing.

No offense intended just curious.

-Ed-

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My main game is FSX an old game widely played and not updated and as a result is all about single core speed an still makes poor use of GPUs. If you can afford the extra dollars why ryzen? What validation says ryzen 2 will be faster, use current mobos and when?

I'm on pins an needles awaiting the asrock x299 mitx mobo in 3.5 weeks and hoping it will match with the coolermaster elite 130 as I want a cube. Talk about great potential.
If single-thread performance is a must, you're unlikely to get much better performance than the i7-7700K, which costs a lot less, has plenty more board choice, more cooling options and is available today.
If you need good multi-core performance, AMD Ryzen 7 1700 is an excellent good performance per dollar platform. If you just want top performance and don't mind paying atleast two times as much, Skylake-X starting with the i7-7820X will get you there. All on mITX platforms ofcourse.

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I would go for Ryzen. It offers more bang for buck, more cores and futureproffnes.
But if single core performance is a must then wait for cofee lake. It will offer better performance than Kaby Lake and have 6C/12T.

Mar 6, 2017

Having to buy keys to unlock RAID, less PCIe lanes than previous generations, the whole thing's rushed and you have to check to see if your MB can even handle your CPU - some can't run with the CPUs with lower lane counts, some don't have enough VRMs for higher core counts. It's a mess.

Take a look at this video:

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

It's expensive, power hungry, hot, doesn't support Xeon CPUs or ECC RAM, has stupid limitations on VROC, limited LP cooling options, and requires SODIMM for Mini-ITX.

My main game is FSX an old game widely played and not updated and as a result is all about single core speed an still makes poor use of GPUs. If you can afford the extra dollars why ryzen? What validation says ryzen 2 will be faster, use current mobos and when?

AMD has already said that there were several improvements and features they wanted to include in Ryzen 1 but ran out of time, so that combined with a more mature platform means the Ryzen 2 has quite a bit of potential.

I don't think AMD has explicitly stated that Ryzen 2 will be on the AM4 socket, but historically AMD sticks with the same socket for several generations. Ryzen 2 is an improvement of Ryzen 1, not a completely new design, so there's currently no reason to believe they will switch sockets for it.

If you're building today though, then like @Phuncz said, currently the best option for single-threaded performance is the 7700K with an overclock.

Rick0

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Hello SFF folks,

I didn't mean to start the AMD/Intel war all over again :D
Reading your arguments and a few articles online, considering the price and everything I could, I think I will go with an AM4 platform.

Also Ryzen 2 will be on the same AM4 socket.
I did some research and you may actually be right.
“We plan for AM4 to be around a long time.” – James Prior, CPU Business Development"

If you're building today though, then like @Phuncz said, currently the best option for single-threaded performance is the 7700K with an overclock.
I'm planning to build in the next future, ideally between today and september. I don't mind sacrificing a bit of performance today, for better longevity of my machine.
As I'm not in a rush I'll be also waiting for price drops a bit.

Also, you have the Noctua L9x65 in the parts list, but that's too tall. For a Ryzen build the L9a would fit if you want to stick with Noctua.

You damn right, it wasn't showing up because of the compatibility filters on pcpart pickers. I modified it. That being said, it is not natively compatible with AM4 sockets for now, but noctua is offering a mounting kit for free if you proof you are using such socket.

Thanks all for you answer.

I'll do some more research about the 2 last things I'm still not certain about.
GPU (1060 or 1070) and the SFF PSU options (HDPlex, G-Unit custom systems or else)

Raz87

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 29, 2017
The X299E-ITX/ac does NOT support the Kaby Lake-X CPUs. So you'd have to bump up to at least the 7800X.

What do you meen? 7740k will work on the x299e-Itx as far as i've understood. Or have i missed something here? No Quad channel Ram, But i can live with 32gb Dual channel.. if thats what u meen?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
What do you meen? 7740k will work on the x299e-Itx as far as i've understood. Or have i missed something here? No Quad channel Ram, But i can live with 32gb Dual channel.. if thats what u meen?
Due to Intel giving no time to manufacturers , ASRock do not support Kaby Lake-X, only Sky Lake-X. Plus it is so much complex to make mobo for both dual channel and quad channel ram. Four core cpus on HEDT platform is a joke . Just buy Ryzen. It will allow upgrade path, lower temps and more cores for for less money.