S4 Mini 190: DESERT SCOUT

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I'm currently using the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac. It's possible I upgrade, but it doesn't seem likely. I tried to mock up some drawings last night and so far as I can tell it looked like a 120mm fan would fit but a 140mm fan would definitely interfere with my 24-pin power connector.

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Your board layout is vastly different than mine and the process could be different mine. Could you center a 120mm fan over the top and take a photo?
* It looks like there may not be room on the side that is away from the GPU PCIE slot for an installed fan. My CPU location was more centered. Also, would the fan overhang the 24pin slot of the motherboard? My fan is mounted over the PCIE slot, CPU fan header, and DDR3. It looks like yours would be over the DDR3, possibly some fan headers and SATA headers, and possibly the 24 pin and CPU header as well, but not over the PCIE.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I should be able to take some pictures this evening.

Edit: I forgot. I'm doing some chores at the house tonight and I should remember to get some pictures then.

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Okay, I just got the chance to take pictures of my system. It's currently in a Mini-Box M350, I had the case laying around and I felt like it would be a good temporary fitment test.

My conclusion from using a 120mm fan on top for reference, like you suggested, is that an adapter like yours that is centered over the fan mounting points should work. It will be a close fit against the CPU power connector, and it's possible that the fan casing/frame would be flush against the connector, but I think the wires could still be routed out and around.

I'd have to invest in low profile RAM like you have but that's something I'd be happy to do for the result!

Reactions: Phuncz

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
S4 Mini 120mm x15.8 slim Gelid Fan LED on Noctua cooler install instructions.

Parts List: M4 x 25mm countersunk bolts x4. M4 nuts x4. (Bolts must be flat or there won't be room)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6EIOXA/?tag=theminutiae-20
92mm to 120mm adapter plate:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/92mm-to-120mm...%3A5521740615a0a6a4b2a5fd6afff1a65b%7Ciid%3A3
Gelid 120x15.8mm fan:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/GELID-Solutio...%3A55287ffe15a0a7884691aa57fff2477d%7Ciid%3A1
Flat short screws that fit the Noctua cooler for mounting the adapter plate.

1. Attach PCIE cable.
2. Attach CPU power cable to motherboard side.
3. Plug CPU fan into motherboard and set fan outside of case.
4. Put in RAM sticks. *VLP
5. Attach any SATA cables and run them low and tight to case.
6. Attach power button/power led.
7. Attach HDPLEX 250/300 PCIE cable and run it down low on bottom of case next to RAM.
8. Attach HDPLEX SATA cables and push them down low on top of PCIE.
9. Attach HDPLEX CPU cable and push those down on top of the SATA pulling extra cable away toward GPU side.
10. Attach 24pin to motherboard side and bend down th cables on the HDPLEX side hard.
11. Connect 24p to HDPLEX and bend cables down hard again laying on top of SATA cable.
12. Twist and tuck wires in corner around power switch area.
13. Lift adapter plate and place short bolts through 92mm mounting holes on adapter.
14. Lift fan and set it on adapter plate.
15. Push 25mm bolts through fan and adapter plate and barely thread nuts on.
16. The fan should be loosely attached.
17. Set fan on top of CPU cooler and lift to expose the gap between the plate and the fan / this is why it wasn't screwed down tight.
18. Using a thin screwdriver attach the bolts in the 92mm adapter holes to the cooler.
19. Pulling up on the nuts on ththe bottom of the adapter plate, screw down the 25mm M4 countersunk screws tightly. For the fan to fit you may need to mash and move some HDPLEX wires.
20. Tuck excess fan wire next to the fan on the away side of the HDPLEX and power button.
21. Attach DC cable to HDPLEX and tuck cables away.