New revision of Ncase M1, when?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere, I know you probably don't want to commit to a price on the V6, but will the modifications you have planned raise the price significantly? I'm just trying to get an idea so I know whether to pick up a used case now or hold off for a V6.
Depends what significant means to you. $5-$15 more is possible, but I'm just guessing as we haven't confirmed exact costs yet.

Reactions: fabio and Engr62

Alessio.B87

Average Stuffer
May 7, 2019
@Necere thank you for your efforts in improving the M1 even more, I'm waiting you to build my first SFF!
A quick question, will you sell also the side window panel with it or as an option?
Thanks again!

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
There are a lot of small optimizations to the case, though for the most part these are just little quality of life things that won't have a major impact for most people. The biggest change is the increased ventilation on the sides and bottom, and the inclusion of a bottom dust filter as standard. There are also a couple of things that I don't want to talk about until they're confirmed. Once we get closer to release and I have more information, I'll post a complete list.

Could you elaborate on a couple of those please, unless you'd rather wait for the official announcement to give more details. I assume the increased ventilation on the bottom will be accomplished by getting rid of the drive mounting points. But what about the sides? Are you going to add more holes or make the holes larger? I'm having trouble imagining that, I hope it won't significantly impact the aesthetics of the case.

And what about that bottom dust filter? I have dual Demciflex at the moment. Will it be basically the same as the stock side filter, but on the bottom? How is it going to attach? Again, if this is asking too much detail before the official announcement you can just tell me to wait.

Finally, I would love the option to buy a solid right-side panel. I'm trying to optimize my V5 build for chimney-effect airflow and that solid panel would help a lot. In that spirit, I would also love some taller feet (would also go well with the increased bottom ventilation + dust filter), preferably not round, maybe something like what Optimum Tech has if Lian Li offers anything like it. I think the round feet are the weakest point of the M1 aesthetically.

Reactions: Engr62

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Could you elaborate on a couple of those please, unless you'd rather wait for the official announcement to give more details. I assume the increased ventilation on the bottom will be accomplished by getting rid of the drive mounting points. But what about the sides? Are you going to add more holes or make the holes larger? I'm having trouble imagining that, I hope it won't significantly impact the aesthetics of the case.
Pictures are worth a thousand words, right?

So obviously it will change the look somewhat, no way around that. The extra ventilation holes are right next to the video card though, so it should help quite a bit with getting the hot exhaust out of the case.

And what about that bottom dust filter? I have dual Demciflex at the moment. Will it be basically the same as the stock side filter, but on the bottom? How is it going to attach? Again, if this is asking too much detail before the official announcement you can just tell me to wait.
The bottom filter is the same construction as the side filter, though larger and a different shape. It will attach magnetically to the underside of the case, part of which will now be steel.

Finally, I would love the option to buy a solid right-side panel. I'm trying to optimize my V5 build for chimney-effect airflow and that solid panel would help a lot. In that spirit, I would also love some taller feet (would also go well with the increased bottom ventilation + dust filter), preferably not round, maybe something like what Optimum Tech has if Lian Li offers anything like it. I think the round feet are the weakest point of the M1 aesthetically.
Unlikely we'll offer solid panel options. Stay tuned for the feet.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017

So obviously it will change the look somewhat, no way around that. The extra ventilation holes are right next to the video card though, so it should help quite a bit with getting the hot exhaust out of the case.

The bottom filter is the same construction as the side filter, though larger and a different shape. It will attach magnetically to the underside of the case, part of which will now be steel.

Thanks very much for the replies. I must say I see pros and cons with the expanded holes on the side panels. They will mess with airflow channeling and looks, but will help with GPU temperatures, especially in the era of the 2080 Ti. However, GPUs may intake unfiltered air from the sides if not fed properly from the bottom. Also, feeding your CPU from the bottom will become less efficient. Again, pros and cons. But I get how it makes commercial sense to go in that direction.

It doesn't concern me either way, I'll use my V5 until they stop making ITX boards or I die, I think it's the best designed case ever made. ;) Or a close second behind the original IBM PC AT case.

Oh follow up question -- at some point before the end of the year I plan on buying the window panel. Will it stay in stock for a while or will it get discontinued after V6 comes out and replaced with some V6-specific window panel? It's out of stock at the moment. I definitely don't want to miss it. And if you do update the feet, I hope you'll offer them separately too.

Rhialto

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2017

Hmmm... I only run blower cards so exhaust is 100% on the back of the case. Video card facing down, of course fresh air is coming in from under which is great. I see no reasons for such panels with blower cards. Are both sides getting this new panel? Only for the look I would guess so, otherwise it's not balanced. I'm really not sure those extra holes are the best option.

After I bought one in November 2017 I was thinking I may look for another one for the kids in the next months, I would prefer a v5 for easier airflow control. How long v5 will still be available you think? Getting a v6 with v5 panels is not an option I guess?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'll be buying one of those ventilated panels...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hmmm... I only run blower cards so exhaust is 100% on the back of the case. Video card facing down, of course fresh air is coming in from under which is great. I see no reasons for such panels with blower cards. Are both sides getting this new panel? Only for the look I would guess so, otherwise it's not balanced. I'm really not sure those extra holes are the best option.

After I bought one in November 2017 I was thinking I may look for another one for the kids in the next months, I would prefer a v5 for easier airflow control. How long v5 will still be available you think? Getting a v6 with v5 panels is not an option I guess?
Both sides will have expanded ventilation. There's a cutout in the motherboard tray below the motherboard, so the right side actually does provide some exhaust for the GPU as well.

V5 is already sold out and won't be restocked. We don't have plans to offer the V5 panels going forward.

Rhialto

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2017
V5 is already sold out and won't be restocked. We don't have plans to offer the V5 panels going forward.
Ouch :-/ looks like I'm a bit late, game over I guess. :-(
Are you sure you don't have one brand new silver left waiting in a corner?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I'd check for you, but I'd have to book a flight to Taiwan first :p
Though the odds of there being any randomly left over are quite low, unfortunately.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I can't imagine how many NCASEs have been sold over all these years. Certainly someone has a panel they would be willing to sell you? Try the buy/sell/trade forums here, Reddit, and Hardforum.

INFIDEL

Case Bender
May 25, 2019

Will the new m1 support a 280 rad, eg Kraken X62? And for the base 140mm fans? Just asking looking at my parts bin for my next M1 build.

AKEX

What's an ITX?
May 29, 2019
Will the ODD slot panels return with v6? I was gonna buy a v5 until i saw them become discontinued.