New revision of Ncase M1, when?

galzy

Efficiency Noob
Apr 8, 2019
One thing we're considering is releasing M1 V6 initially without any front I/O - power button only, with an otherwise blank plate where the ports will be. The reason for this is the lead time on the tooling for the ports, plus it will add to the price of the case. A no-front I/O version will allow the price to stay the same and won't delay V6 any longer than necessary for those who may not need or want the I/O. People who do want it could also order the I/O ports as a separate kit later when they're ready.

What do you guys think?
As long as the kit will made available at some point, that sounds great.

Nighted

Case Bender
Jun 2, 2019
I'd like to see a finished product before I commit. I had planned on purchasing 2 but some of the changes are concerning, even questionable.

I hope that this is not another case of fix it until it is broken.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Interesting. Would this be a change only on the front panel or would it also change the entire front i/o module? Presume it will not be backwards compatible with V5?
The front panel will be the same between the non-I/O and I/O versions. I've redesigned the I/O bracket for the new ports and it now includes a separate plate at the front for either full I/O, or blank with power button only. The bracket is backward-compatible with older versions of the case.

I'd like to see a finished product before I commit. I had planned on purchasing 2 but some of the changes are concerning, even questionable.

I hope that this is not another case of fix it until it is broken.
What specifically has you concerned?

Reactions: Maniac

Nighted

Case Bender
Jun 2, 2019
What specifically has you concerned?

Specifically the changes made to improve airflow. It certainly changes the aesthetics (form is a feature to some more important than function) and build options with the removal of the drive mounts on the bottom. While airflow is important, 4x120mm fans can push a lot of air and those still concerned about heat have water cooling options...especially if you have money to purchase the bleeding edge hardware which is likely creating this excess heat. I'd like to see a chart showing if the difference the V6 will make in temperatures outweighs the controversy. SFF labs has other products, maybe focus on those and don't fix what ain't broke or just sell the NCase minus the side panels. :p

However, I do agree with the other changes, specifically making the drive cage more functional and the bottom dust filter/140 fan option.

Customers could be perplexed by releasing a beta version then offering the completed revision at extra cost and time down the road...we get enough of that on the software end these days, a decadence that I hope does not contact hardware. I can't just download a piece of hardware and wake up in the morning with it installed.

If people want a power switch only, no power switch, or whatever, just sell them the blank and they can mod it to their own specs or someone can purchase them and make a little money on the side manufacturing a high quality mod. Put a vandal switch in there, RGB whatever, backlit USB ports or even a switch to toggle boot drive/OS.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Specifically the changes made to improve airflow. It certainly changes the aesthetics (form is a feature to some more important than function) and build options with the removal of the drive mounts on the bottom. While airflow is important, 4x120mm fans can push a lot of air and those still concerned about heat have water cooling options...especially if you have money to purchase the bleeding edge hardware which is likely creating this excess heat. I'd like to see a chart showing if the difference the V6 will make in temperatures outweighs the controversy. SFF labs has other products, maybe focus on those and don't fix what ain't broke or just sell the NCase minus the side panels. :p

However, I do agree with the other changes, specifically making the drive cage more functional and the bottom dust filter/140 fan option.

Customers could be perplexed by releasing a beta version then offering the completed revision at extra cost and time down the road...we get enough of that on the software end these days, a decadence that I hope does not contact hardware. I can't just download a piece of hardware and wake up in the morning with it installed.

If people want a power switch only, no power switch, or whatever, just sell them the blank and they can mod it to their own specs or someone can purchase them and make a little money on the side manufacturing a high quality mod. Put a vandal switch in there, RGB whatever, backlit USB ports or even a switch to toggle boot drive/OS.
I can understand that. The expanded ventilation on the side panels are a bit of function at the expense of form, IMO, and that was one reason I've been reluctant to implement it in the past (the other reason being the extra holes can cause the panel to warp, but LL bought a press some time back to flatten out the panels after punching). However, it should help significantly with getting the heat from open cooler cards out of the case. They exhaust along the edges, which means on previous versions of the M1 all that hot air was running straight into the solid side panel and would have to take a more circuitous up through the case, past the CPU, motherboard, drives, etc. It wasn't ideal. It's true you could run the side panel fans as exhaust, which certainly helps, but if you're running a rad for the CPU then you'd be pulling the GPU exhaust through it.

As for no front I/O, this has been something a few people have requested. Since we're updating the I/O anyway for V6, it seems like a good opportunity to offer it as an option. Also it keeps the price lower for those who don't want it.

mikeoa13

Minimal Tinkerer
May 15, 2019
I can understand that. The expanded ventilation on the side panels are a bit of function at the expense of form, IMO, and that was one reason I've been reluctant to implement it in the past (the other reason being the extra holes can cause the panel to warp, but LL bought a press some time back to flatten out the panels after punching). However, it should help significantly with getting the heat from open cooler cards out of the case. They exhaust along the edges, which means on previous versions of the M1 all that hot air was running straight into the solid side panel and would have to take a more circuitous up through the case, past the CPU, motherboard, drives, etc. It wasn't ideal. It's true you could run the side panel fans as exhaust, which certainly helps, but if you're running a rad for the CPU then you'd be pulling the GPU exhaust through it.

As for no front I/O, this has been something a few people have requested. Since we're updating the I/O anyway for V6, it seems like a good opportunity to offer it as an option. Also it keeps the price lower for those who don't want it.
Do you have an estimate on when V6 would be available if you were to offer it without front I/O?

gMit

Caliper Novice
Jun 2, 2019
I think the idea of going live without the front I/O initially and offering later on is great. It gives people the ability to purchase the case at the same price and opt in to the I/O down the track if they wish

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Don't wait. A lot of people waiting for 7/7 to build new AMD builds. Don't want to miss the hype window
Totally agree with this. I created an account here after lurking for 2 years just to add a +1 to build the V6 without the front IO ASAP. I think the M1 will be the best case for new Ryzen 3000 builds.

Reactions: belousov

Aviswa

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
Not yet. All I can say is that it'll be available sooner than if we waited for the I/O.

Had a quick question when comparing the sidearm to the Ncase.

do you know which configuration would provide the most cooling potential?:
Ncase M1 with U9S (window panel configuration) or Sidearmd with the 120mm aio?

I want to potentially use a 3900x when its out, but want to use a window panel, so wondering if air cooling the cpu in Ncase would provide better results than the sidearmd with aio, or would they be comparable in that situation.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Had a quick question when comparing the sidearm to the Ncase.

do you know which configuration would provide the most cooling potential?:
Ncase M1 with U9S (window panel configuration) or Sidearmd with the 120mm aio?

I want to potentially use a 3900x when its out, but want to use a window panel, so wondering if air cooling the cpu in Ncase would provide better results than the sidearmd with aio, or would they be comparable in that situation.
I'd probably say the M1, but there are a lot of variables. With the windowed side panel on the M1, you can't take advantage of a side intake, which means the air is coming up through the bottom and getting warmed by the GPU, so it depends to some degree on how much heat your GPU is putting out and whether it's a blower or open cooler. Or you might use a 92mm fan on the back as intake instead of exhaust and that changes things again.

As for the SidearmD, nobody's tested in it yet. And again, it depends how you set things up: top or bottom rad? Intake or exhaust? How tall are the feet? Etc.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
I've been searching the topics regarding the new V6 window panel, but could not find the posts. Dan has confirmed as well there will be no more V5 panels available via sfflabs :( Feel like we are kinda stuck here, V5 not being made anymore, and V6 not backwards compatible.

@Necere What is the main reason that the V6 window panel will not compatible with V5? Could we make it work with a bit of modding perhaps?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I've been searching the topics regarding the new V6 window panel, but could not find the posts. Dan has confirmed as well there will be no more V5 panels available via sfflabs :( Feel like we are kinda stuck here, V5 not being made anymore, and V6 not backwards compatible.

@Necere What is the main reason that the V6 window panel will not compatible with V5? Could we make it work with a bit of modding perhaps?
W360 wants to do a full glass side panel for V6, which necessitates a new set of mounting holes that the V5 and earlier don't have.

Grey, you say...?

But might it be sandblasted Space Grey...?
It'll be LL's standard brushed+anodized finish, but in grey. Sandblasting would probably add $30+ to the price.

Last edited:

Khaledious

Trash Compacter
Apr 28, 2019
Full tempered glass!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes yes yes!!!! That seriously got me so hyped :) take my money, I wanna pre order this yesterday!!

asava

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2019
One thing we're considering is releasing M1 V6 initially without any front I/O - power button only, with an otherwise blank plate where the ports will be. The reason for this is the lead time on the tooling for the ports, plus it will add to the price of the case. A no-front I/O version will allow the price to stay the same and won't delay V6 any longer than necessary for those who may not need or want the I/O. People who do want it could also order the I/O ports as a separate kit later when they're ready.

What do you guys think?
Hi Necere!
Good idea in my opinion.
One question though - would it be possible to move the front I/O from previous cases, for those who own one (in my case that would be a V5)?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hi Necere!
Good idea in my opinion.
One question though - would it be possible to move the front I/O from previous cases, for those who own one (in my case that would be a V5)?
The V6 front I/O bracket will be backward compatible, so if we offer the front I/O kit including the bracket that will be an option for you.