New Dan A4-SFX mid-high end build cooling help

BeachBanjo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Hey, just planning on building a new semi high end productivity and gaming compact build, and wondering what the best options for cooling are. Currently waiting for the z390 chipset and 9700k/9900k cpus, but would like to know what works together best. Originally planned to use the Asetek 545lc with a blower style 1080ti founders edition, but am maybe rethinking that. What works best in the Dan case? A blower style cooler with AIO cpu block, or a custom GPU with a small air cooler? In that case, what is the best air cooler (noticed a c7 all copper heat sink that looked nice)?

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2018
Hey, just planning on building a new semi high end productivity and gaming compact build, and wondering what the best options for cooling are. Currently waiting for the z390 chipset and 9700k/9900k cpus, but would like to know what works together best. Originally planned to use the Asetek 545lc with a blower style 1080ti founders edition, but am maybe rethinking that. What works best in the Dan case? A blower style cooler with AIO cpu block, or a custom GPU with a small air cooler? In that case, what is the best air cooler (noticed a c7 all copper heat sink that looked nice)?
Hello BeachBanjo!

I have installed Asetek 545LC, but it is cooler than any air cpu cooler. I have not tried it, but I think it will cool more than 5 degrees over a copper cooler. And its Build is very attractive.
But unfortunately there are problems. I own GTX 1070FE and Radeon RX480 Strix, but Strix interferes with the tube. There is no problem with the operation of the graphics card if you insert the card well, but there were times when it did not work properly.
Also, when inserting a graphics card of 280mm (GTX FE) or more, the tube of Asetek 545LC will be damaged. If you are concerned about this problem, you should go to air-cooling.
I will introduce a comparison site of low profile cooler.
https://infogram.com/lowprofile-coolers-1ho16vm1x05n6nq

BeachBanjo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Thanks for the reply! It seems most people recommend the Asetek 92mm AIO, that’s probably what I’ll go for. Also seems to me that people are 50/50 split on the blower vs custom GPU coolers, haven’t seen any definitive better answer one way or the other.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
From what I understand—and this is speaking in very broad strokes—cooling for GPUs in the A4 roughly goes:

front-to-back oriented fins < blower < top-to-bottom oriented fins

The general wisdom I've seen repeated is that because of the A4's layout and lack of case fans, it's particularly important to have each device clear its own hot air from the case as quickly as possible, rather than simply clearing it from the device. A front-to-back fin without a blower-style shroud doesn't corral the hot air particularly well, so much of it gets recirculated. Blower shrouds allow them to control the air better, but the distance it has to travel limits their effectiveness. Top-to-bottom fins quickly clear a good amount of air out the top of the case, preventing it from recirculating.

Again, that's broad strokes that don't apply in all situations, and I definitely don't have any data to back this up, but it at least provides an explanation for why some people may be having different experiences.

Reactions: BeachBanjo

BeachBanjo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
From what I understand—and this is speaking in very broad strokes—cooling for GPUs in the A4 roughly goes:

front-to-back oriented fins < blower < top-to-bottom oriented fins

The general wisdom I've seen repeated is that because of the A4's layout and lack of case fans, it's particularly important to have each device clear its own hot air from the case as quickly as possible, rather than simply clearing it from the device. A front-to-back fin without a blower-style shroud doesn't corral the hot air particularly well, so much of it gets recirculated. Blower shrouds allow them to control the air better, but the distance it has to travel limits their effectiveness. Top-to-bottom fins quickly clear a good amount of air out the top of the case, preventing it from recirculating.

Again, that's broad strokes that don't apply in all situations, and I definitely don't have any data to back this up, but it at least provides an explanation for why some people may be having different experiences.

Thanks for that (broad) explanation, makes sense and totally explains different temps/experiences. Will definitely be paying more attention to the heatsinks on the GPUs I'm looking at.