Need help on choosing CPU cooler/case fans and PSU in a Louqe Ghost S1 build (1st PC build)

Jono

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Hi everyone

I need some opinions on whether the AMD wraith stealth cooler is enough for the cpu cooling and if I need to add any other fans for better air flow cooling. I am also not sure if I need to up the PSU 450W and above.
I am going to be using my build mainly for gaming and Photoshop/digital drawing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: ASrock B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX A4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB 2.5 SSD
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB
PSU: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold ( not sure if this is enough power)
Case: Louqe Ghost S1

I would really appreciate any replies and recommendations, thanks ! :)

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Hi everyone

I need some opinions on whether the AMD wraith stealth cooler is enough for the cpu cooling and if I need to add any other fans for better air flow cooling. I am also not sure if I need to up the PSU 450W and above.
I am going to be using my build mainly for gaming and Photoshop/digital drawing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: ASrock B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX A4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB 2.5 SSD
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB
PSU: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold ( not sure if this is enough power)
Case: Louqe Ghost S1

I would really appreciate any replies and recommendations, thanks ! :)
I'm not up to date with that cooler. I'm sure it's decent and you can always upgrade later if temps or sound are not what you want.
Personally I would get the NH-L12 (not 12S) while you can get a hold of it. You get a extra fan that you can mount in the case.under the psu. Its a Quality fan.

And you can reuse it if you upgrade in the future. Just double check if it has the socket mount you need.
And it's a silent cooler.

That psu is on the limit. For sure if you would upgrade in the future if you decided to upg. Get a 600w or so. You get more headroom and better temps. I would assume.

Reactions: Jono

Jono

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I'm not up to date with that cooler. I'm sure it's decent and you can always upgrade later if temps or sound are not what you want.
Personally I would get the NH-L12 (not 12S) while you can get a hold of it. You get a extra fan that you can mount in the case.under the psu. Its a Quality fan.

And you can reuse it if you upgrade in the future. Just double check if it has the socket mount you need.
And it's a silent cooler.

That psu is on the limit. For sure if you would upgrade in the future if you decided to upg. Get a 600w or so. You get more headroom and better temps. I would assume.

Thanks for the advice! I figured the 450W might be pulling a stretch there. Also about the extra you mentioned, What sort of fan would be a nice fit under the PSU ?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Hey @Jono welcome to the club and congrats on the new Louqe! I haven't any personal experience with the R5 stock cooler but literature I've read suggests that it's perfectly adequate for cooling and quiet, though it's not the "best" if that's what you're after. That's also dependent on if you're planning on using the expansion tophats for the S1. Also, it depends on your overclocking plans.

There will, IMO, always be "better" cooling and "less" noisy options. You'll have to weigh that against the tradeoffs of space, expense, and possibly reliability if you roll with an AIO + tophat combo. Speaking for most of us here, this pursuit of the right combo that meets our ideal vision for a PC is what drives us.

Speaking to your PSU, I would differ with the original responder. I am rolling with the same PSU and a system with probably a very similar power draw: i5-7600K, GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM, assorted accesssories including 2.5" mechanical drives, SSDs, and RGB strip. I did a quick Google search and one outlet recorded total system draw with the Vega 56 OC'd around 300W + change. Not a compelling consensus by any means, but 300W to 400W, I think, is right in the Goldilocks band of the SF450's efficiency curve. Personally, I think you've nothing to worry about unless you're eyeing Vega 64 soon. Plus, I hear that Vega responds very well to undervolting: done right, little to no performance loss, appreciably better temps/noise reduction, less power draw.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Thanks for the advice! I figured the 450W might be pulling a stretch there. Also about the extra you mentioned, What sort of fan would be a nice fit under the PSU ?
well you get two fans with the L12. A 90 that's under the cooler, and a 120mm that's for on top of the cooler. That can't fit there. So you can just put that one under the PSU. (If there is space for you)
https://www.louqe.com/files/heatsink_test_ghost_s1_MkII.pdf
you can see how louqe did in in their tests. I'm not sure how much it helps but im sure it won't hurt having it on in Low RPM. Louqe had a m.2 ssd so less cables to worry about. (maybe custom lengh cables as well)

The problem is cables though. It can be very tight as we seen on the builds on youtube. or if you have a SSD under the PSU you need to skip the fan.
Custom length PSU cables will help overall though,keeping it neat and tidy.
maybe a slim fan if it's a squeeze.
you can see in Opiumtech how it looks without custom cables.

It's not the most hungry CPU so you should be fine without the fan. You can always fix this efterwards if you find any issues.

Jono

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Hey @Jono welcome to the club and congrats on the new Louqe! I haven't any personal experience with the R5 stock cooler but literature I've read suggests that it's perfectly adequate for cooling and quiet, though it's not the "best" if that's what you're after. That's also dependent on if you're planning on using the expansion tophats for the S1. Also, it depends on your overclocking plans.

There will, IMO, always be "better" cooling and "less" noisy options. You'll have to weigh that against the tradeoffs of space, expense, and possibly reliability if you roll with an AIO + tophat combo. Speaking for most of us here, this pursuit of the right combo that meets our ideal vision for a PC is what drives us.

Speaking to your PSU, I would differ with the original responder. I am rolling with the same PSU and a system with probably a very similar power draw: i5-7600K, GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM, assorted accesssories including 2.5" mechanical drives, SSDs, and RGB strip. I did a quick Google search and one outlet recorded total system draw with the Vega 56 OC'd around 300W + change. Not a compelling consensus by any means, but 300W to 400W, I think, is right in the Goldilocks band of the SF450's efficiency curve. Personally, I think you've nothing to worry about unless you're eyeing Vega 64 soon. Plus, I hear that Vega responds very well to undervolting: done right, little to no performance loss, appreciably better temps/noise reduction, less power draw.

Hey @annasoh323 , thanks hahaha! hopefully my case comes in the second batch in January 2019. I ultimately went for Corsair SF PSU 600 as a future proof since I am also interested in trying out OC for the first time and maybe adding a liquid cooler

Can't wait to post some builds on here later :D

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Hey @annasoh323 , thanks hahaha! hopefully my case comes in the second batch in January 2019. I ultimately went for Corsair SF PSU 600 as a future proof since I am also interested in trying out OC for the first time and maybe adding a liquid cooler

Can't wait to post some builds on here later :D
I basically told myself that I'd upgrade to something like the SF600 if I ever moved to something with a "Ti" in it :D