Advice yet-another Ghost S1 build, need to choose CPU now

sdbruder

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
I'm getting the pieces together to build a new desktop, the only missing piece still not choosen is the CPU.

Currently is:
  • Louqe Ghost S1 Mk3
  • Corsair SFX 750
  • ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX (as future-proof as you can get these days)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
  • Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 Edition
  • SSD NVME 1TB
  • EVGA 2070 Super Black Gaming
so I'm looking into a Ryzen, this or next generation. Which one will be a good gaming pair to a 2070 super?

I'm leaning toward a 3700X because of the 65W TDP, I think anything bigger will make cooling it more dificult for a little gain in performance which start to feel 'not worth it'.

Another option will be to buy an interim solution like a 3300X and wait for the new generation.

Lux

Cable Smoosher
Aug 8, 2020
I think you've got the right Idea not exceeding 65w on a air-cooled ITX system. The Ryzen 7 3700x Is certainly your top choice for that power efficiency but depending on your use case you might consider something with better price for performance. If your end use is only gaming, then you are not likely to see a difference if you went with something like the Ryzen 5 3600. Just as thought, Good luck with the build.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
One thing to note with your motherboard. The Asrock has right angle SATA connectors and if you need any 2.5 drives in this build those connectors will be blocked by the PSU.

sdbruder

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
One thing to note with your motherboard. The Asrock has right angle SATA connectors and if you need any 2.5 drives in this build those connectors will be blocked by the PSU.

That ship already sailed, mboard is bought. Currently not making plans to use SATA, so for now, ok.