NCASE M1 V6 info

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
@Necere Are there more production runs planned after the currently listed pre-orders on the store? I'm not feeling optimistic about shipping to Canada opening up before those runs are done. Any chance of something like DHL/fedex being added?

I know it didn't come to fruition last time, but do you think you guys might revisit a doing grey option again?

robertk1328

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 21, 2020
just received mine in Germany, had to pay 18,30€ at the DHL Shop here in town, so no going to customs or such things. Ordered on the 4th of August and picked it up today, it stayed for quite a while in the IPZ in Frankfurt. I emailed them and then they processed it, dunno if that would have happened anyway after 10 days, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: Redux-Limited

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Although it may be a while before I can get the ODD top cover shipped to South Africa, I do plan to install a DVD/CD drive into my M1 v6.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a drive make and model that they're using and that works well.

My main reasons for installing an optical drive are to rip my entire CD collection (100-150 discs) to a lossless format, and to go through spindles of CDs and DVDs containing old backups that I found during a recent clean up of my study.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere Are there more production runs planned after the currently listed pre-orders on the store? I'm not feeling optimistic about shipping to Canada opening up before those runs are done. Any chance of something like DHL/fedex being added?
Yes, we should have availability through fall. We can't use DHL or Fedex because they require a business account from a Taiwan-registered business, which NCASE is not.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Although it may be a while before I can get the ODD top cover shipped to South Africa, I do plan to install a DVD/CD drive into my M1 v6.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a drive make and model that they're using and that works well.

My main reasons for installing an optical drive are to rip my entire CD collection (100-150 discs) to a lossless format, and to go through spindles of CDs and DVDs containing old backups that I found during a recent clean up of my study.

I use a Panasonic UJ-625 slot load slimline blu-ray burner. It's an older model now, but it's been reliable. For ripping CDs a blu-ray drive (reader or writer) is not necessary, but it may be a nice option if you have some movies to rip, too. In earlier revisions of the M1 you had to use 12.7 mm thick optical drives, but I believe you can now use the thinner 9.5 mm optical drives with the 6.x revisions of the case.

Of course, there's always external USB optical drives. Even if you prefer to have one mounted behind the M1's front panel you can sometimes get an external drive more easilythan a bare drive, especially a slot loading model. Carefully disassemble it, remove the drive, and disconnect its SATA-USB adapter. No guarantees on that, of course, but it's worked for me in the past.

One last thing, make sure you have a SATA to Slimline SATA adapter which you'll need for these types of drives. Good luck.

Reactions: AlexTSG and rfarmer

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Of course, there's always external USB optical drives. Even if you prefer to have one mounted behind the M1's front panel you can sometimes get an external drive more easilythan a bare drive, especially a slot loading model. Carefully disassemble it, remove the drive, and disconnect its SATA-USB adapter. No guarantees on that, of course, but it's worked for me in the past.

One last thing, make sure you have a SATA to Slimline SATA adapter which you'll need for these types of drives. Good luck.

Can't seem to find that particular model on Amazon (the only place that will ship to me right now), but thanks for mentioning the Slimline adapter. I would have definitely forgotten to get that!

Maybe I should look into an external USB connected option, as I won't be using the drive all the time, and that way I can connect it to other PCs if I need to.

Hmmmm. Ripping my movies too, I think that may be another project to consider...

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Can't seem to find that particular model on Amazon (the only place that will ship to me right now), but thanks for mentioning the Slimline adapter. I would have definitely forgotten to get that!

Maybe I should look into an external USB connected option, as I won't be using the drive all the time, and that way I can connect it to other PCs if I need to.

Hmmmm. Ripping my movies too, I think that may be another project to consider...

Sorry for my typo: I meant the Panasonic UJ-265. Again, it's an old model from 5 years ago so there might be a newer one. Also, it's a blu-ray writer (burner).

One DVD-RW drive I see on Amazon is the GS40N by LG, though you may see is also listed as by HL or HLSD which stands for Hitachi-LG Data Storage. It sells for around $40 (US). Watch out for IDE drives (an older power and data interface) as there are still some of those available. You want SATA.

If you go for an internal drive I'd recommend getting an OEM model (LG, H-L, Sony, Panasonic, etc.) as opposed to one labelled for a particular brand of laptop (Dell, HP, Apple, etc.) because the OEM drive will be sure to have standard mounting holes, a standard-shaped frame around the slot, and use an original OEM firmware which may be easier to update if necessary. (Is updating firmware on optical drives still a thing? In the past it was done for better compatibility with writable media or to fix bugs and performance issues.)

Reactions: AlexTSG

maveric

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2020
The next gen graphics cards sound huge, according to the rumors. What if they don't fit in the current NCASE M1 design? Would there be a larger M1 version to accommodate larger cards?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The next gen graphics cards sound huge, according to the rumors. What if they don't fit in the current NCASE M1 design? Would there be a larger M1 version to accommodate larger cards?
One next-gen card that, we know of, is huge (the RTX 3090). Even if it fit in the M1, it's probably a bad idea. The size of the cooling solution, plus the new 12-pin power connector suggest that it will produce a LOT of heat. I can't imagine it doing well in any SFF case, to be honest.

bigtoe

Case Bender
New User
Aug 24, 2020
@Necere Got my v6.1 recently after a long wait. But the front panel comes with a defect (scratch/dent). Will NCASE be able to provide a replacement for it? Thanks!

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Since now it is not possible to buy a case with delivery to my country, I would like to use the services of an intermediary and use for transit the USA or another country where the case can be delivered. So I would like to know the dimensions and weight of the mailbox (shipping box) with the NCASE M1 inside .

I found all the information I needed only after I wrote this message.

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Anyone have the i9 10900k in a ncase m1?
What are your temps and what cooling g are you using?

I’m running a 10900K with the Noctua C14S. Realbench temps get into the 80C range with 100% fan speed and 60C to 70C while gaming with lower fan speeds.

Reactions: christyles

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Did anyone else see the NVIDIA presentation? 3080 for $699 and 370 for $499. Will these cards even fit in the NCASE? They look gigantic.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I'll have to wait for AIB cards as I need to be able to remove backplate on my GPU. I have a C14S with the pins facing downward so it can fit in my x570, they are like mm distance from my V56 without backplate.

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
After installing 2x140mm fans in the bottom of my v6 I felt like, this case needs more huge fans.
Obviously the side bracket doesn't have 140mm holes. But after taping 2x140mm fans to it, it looks to me that it would actually fit.
At least with my NH-C14 and the PSU located to the side.

@Necere Is there something I am missing or why doesn't the side bracket allow for 140mm fans? I feel like it would be a nice option similar to the bottom mounted 140 fans, which also require some tinkering.