NCASE M1 V6 info

k-rad

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 26, 2019
Can't wait for this case to be up for sale, I hope it doesn't sell out instantly like the Olive Garden unlimited passes...

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
That dtx board looks great, but not at $400. Release date for that board and the Strix in the states is October I read on a discord from an Asus rep. Possibly late Sept if really lucky.

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
Asus bios support has been the worst out of all the board partners. It wouldn't benefit you if you got the board early and it had bios issues. Gigabyte boards have received the most support.

I personally really like the potential of the Asrock board. Reports are in that it is a good board also. With overclocking on this chip gen providing next to no discernible improvement you really should just pick the board that works great, has great service, and has the features you are looking for.

FelipoG

Trash Compacter
Jul 23, 2019
I've being building PCs for friends at work, most of it with Asrock motherboard. They are pretty happy with it, doing BIOS updates regularly, and zero issues.
My current doubt is if I go with the new X570 or the B450 for my build.

monoxide

What's an ITX?
Aug 28, 2019
Has there been any QC issues with the first batch in previous versions? I usually don't like to be an early adopter for things as I've been burned a lot in the past but I cannot afford to wait another 3 months for the next batch :/

Sdedarally

Cable Smoosher
Aug 28, 2019
There was a Reddit post recently whereby a user noted that he wasn't able to close the top panel of his Ncase M1 V5 while using the new X570 Aorus Pro WiFi ITX MOBO + Noctua C14S.

Specifically, the problem was with the positioning of the CPU socket on the MOBO. The aforementioned MOBO has a higher socket position.

My question is that, will that be an issue for the Ncase M1 V6? I would really like to use the Noctua C14S. I have seen people addressing that it would fit, but now I'm now not sure if the fitting itself is limited to certain MOBO/parts combinations.

All answers are much appreciated, thanks.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Man that's a bummer. Pretty long wait. Don't want to jump on the Aorus board since I've read so many issues with it.

I had some problems at the begining, with a noctua fan not working sometimes and bios reseting to defaults on cold starts, but it´s working fine since the last bios update.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Has there been any QC issues with the first batch in previous versions? I usually don't like to be an early adopter for things as I've been burned a lot in the past but I cannot afford to wait another 3 months for the next batch :/
V2 had some issues with the panel alignment IIRC. The first batch of V5s still had blue colored front USB ports instead of black. Other than these, any fixes/updates came with new revisions, rather than "stealth" unversioned fixes.

There was a Reddit post recently whereby a user noted that he wasn't able to close the top panel of his Ncase M1 V5 while using the new X570 Aorus Pro WiFi ITX MOBO + Noctua C14S.

Specifically, the problem was with the positioning of the CPU socket on the MOBO. The aforementioned MOBO has a higher socket position.

My question is that, will that be an issue for the Ncase M1 V6? I would really like to use the Noctua C14S. I have seen people addressing that it would fit, but now I'm now not sure if the fitting itself is limited to certain MOBO/parts combinations.

All answers are much appreciated, thanks.
It's the CPU socket location on that board that's causing the cooler to sit too high to clear the top panel. The board-to-top clearance is the same across all versions, so it won't be any different in V6.

Reactions: monoxide

Zutko

Caliper Novice
Apr 3, 2019
Anyone has any idea when new panels will be awailable? Need 2 panels, and side mount for fans and dust cover

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Any news on the first batch of M1s @Necere? Or is it all quiet until they're ready to ship?
I haven't heard anything. I assume things are on schedule.

Anyone has any idea when new panels will be awailable? Need 2 panels, and side mount for fans and dust cover
Only full panel kits, ODD top panels, and front I/O kits will be available initially. I think that won't be until after the M1s start shipping.

Reactions: JaPeMo

Sdedarally

Cable Smoosher
Aug 28, 2019
V2 had some issues with the panel alignment IIRC. The first batch of V5s still had blue colored front USB ports instead of black. Other than these, any fixes/updates came with new revisions, rather than "stealth" unversioned fixes.

It's the CPU socket location on that board that's causing the cooler to sit too high to clear the top panel. The board-to-top clearance is the same across all versions, so it won't be any different in V6.

Thanks, Necere

jk47

Efficiency Noob
Aug 29, 2019

@Necere I have the same Gigabyte X570 I motherboard and have ordered the Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 cooler, will it have the same issue as the Noctua C14S with the top panel not closing?

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
@Necere I have the same Gigabyte X570 I motherboard and have ordered the Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 cooler, will it have the same issue as the Noctua C14S with the top panel not closing?

This is not a full answer, but may help. The Noctua NH-C14S and the Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 are both symmetric in their width (the dimension spanned by the cooling fans - the vertical dimension when mounted in the M1 with a front to back airflow) with respect to the CPU. The NH-C14S is 140 mm wide and the Silver Arrow 130 is 120 mm wide. BTW, the "130" in its name matches its height of 130 mm. So for the same motherboard, the highest point of a Silver Arrow 130 should be 10 mm lower (0.5 x (140-120)) than a NH-C14S.