NCASE M1, optimal fan setup?

foofer1233

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jun 24, 2017
So as the title implies, I'm one of the million people planning a build inside the NCASE M1.

I'm trying to shave a little off the price of the system (needed another $30 to upgrade from the SSF450 to SF600) and I'm wondering if I could forgo some fans. My original idea was to have two ML120s at the bottom of the case (as intakes, I'm using an MSI Armor card so I figured it might need some extra air) and another two intakes mounted where the AIO brackets are, and then one 92mm slim Noctua exhaust out the back. I'd have the ML120 intakes spinning at maybe 20-30% of their PWM speed as I've heard they can get quite loud under heavy load, but the Noctua would most likely be spinning near 60%. Would I be able to forget about the bottom two intake fans while still keeping temperatures somewhat manageable, or should I just load up the entire case with fans and hope for the best?

Should probably mention, I'll be using the Wraith Spire cooler on the 1700 but I'll probably have the 1700 overclocked running at at least 1.2~1.3v at maybe 3.8GHz? Not sure what the voltage-temp correlations are for the 1700 as I don't have mine yet but I do know that I'd like single-core speed at least near 3.7-3.8GHz, I don't want to have too much of a single-core speed shock coming from my 5820K @ 4.3GHz.

Also, does anyone know when the AsRock AM4 ITX board is going to be coming out? I reaaaaaaaally don't want to have to buy the Biostar.

Edit: Parts list for those who'd like to peruse it (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jaka2015/saved/bym999) I can take suggestions on all parts other than the SSDs and the GTX 970, as I already own those.

foofer1233

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jun 24, 2017
Wow @MeltedCactus thank you! That's almost the layout I had in mind (with a few minor tweaks). Do you recommend the Noctua slim fans or are Corsair ML120s fine? Also, do you think I'll be fine with the Wraith Spire stock cooler or should I go with something else?

Also, your build is awesome. I only hope that mine can be half as awesome :)

MeltedCactus

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2017
Wow @MeltedCactus thank you! That's almost the layout I had in mind (with a few minor tweaks). Do you recommend the Noctua slim fans or are Corsair ML120s fine? Also, do you think I'll be fine with the Wraith Spire stock cooler or should I go with something else?

Also, your build is awesome. I only hope that mine can be half as awesome :)

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I like the slim fans because it gives them a little more space between the GPU, but I've seen builds with the ML fans and those should be fine. I've heard that the Wraith cooler is pretty impressive, but unfortunately I do not have any experience with Ryzen. I will say this, my 7700K gets warm. These chips are known to get warm, but I would not feel comfortable using a stock cooler on it in my current build. I would say see what the stock cooler does and then if you need to go the after market route do that.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your build! I don't think I've seen any Ryzen NCASE M1 builds as of yet so keep us posted.

foofer1233

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jun 24, 2017
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I like the slim fans because it gives them a little more space between the GPU, but I've seen builds with the ML fans and those should be fine. I've heard that the Wraith cooler is pretty impressive, but unfortunately I do not have any experience with Ryzen. I will say this, my 7700K gets warm. These chips are known to get warm, but I would not feel comfortable using a stock cooler on it in my current build. I would say see what the stock cooler does and then if you need to go the after market route do that.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your build! I don't think I've seen any Ryzen NCASE M1 builds as of yet so keep us posted.

Absolutely! I'm looking forward to it :)