Specs for my NCASE M1

tamagosalad

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Dec 12, 2020
My case just shipped (yay!) so I'm now finalizing the build specs. This is my first time working with the NCASE M1 (and SFF in general), so any thoughts on the parts are welcome. I've perused the interwebs for build logs and most seem to be geared towards high-end builds.

My build is markedly more modest. For one, there's not going to be any OC'ing. This will mainly be used for 4K60 gaming and occasional 3D rendering.

Intel Core i5-10400
Asus ROG Strix H470-I Gaming
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 **
Western Digital SN750 1TB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
EVGA Supernova GM 650W

** I'm aware that my CPU only supports 2666 and that the H470 doesn't support memory OC. But I understand that faster RAM will simply be capped to the supported limit.

A few things I'd love to get your thoughts on:
1) The Noctua U9S was originally on the list but I've heard talk that the stock cooler should be sufficient for non-K.
2) Most builds I've seen have dual 120mm intakes at the bottom (for GPU's with stock shroud). At what point does the additional intake from these case fans become significant? Or are they default required for an NCASE build?
3) Since the RTX 3080 FE has a pass-through front fan, I'm aware that the GPU's exhaust will dump into the PSU area. I'm planning to mount the PSU in ITX position (right panel intake, top panel exhaust). Do I need an additional 120mm exhaust on the left side panel to help pull out the GPU's exhaust?
4) I'm also on the fence as to whether a 92mm rear exhaust is needed.

As you can see, I'm holding back (on the fence) with the case fans. I wouldn't mind saving some money if they aren't absolutely needed.

If I do need case fans, these are the ones I'm considering: Corsair ML120, Noctua P12 Redux-1700, Noctua A9x14 HS-PWM (rear 92mm; this is mainly so I can reuse it for a U9S, if I decide to upgrade later).

Thanks!

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Aug 24, 2019
Assuming you are using the new version with the fully perforated side panels, you may be able to get away without fans under the GPU. I currently have a v4 and an RTX3080, and I find without those fans the case gets very hot around the GPU.

If you don't put any fans under the GPU, and you use the stock CPU cooler, I would install at least one side panel fan.

Reactions: tamagosalad