Ncase M1 custom panel cutouts

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Hi, while I'm collecting my thoughts on what my next case will be I wanted to mod/have some fun with my current Ncase M1 ... particularly with the snap on side panels. I was wondering if any of you guys have done such atrocity as to have your side panels modified? I'm talking about filling up the rest of the panel (mostly for esthetic reasons, and I can cover them on the inside to maintain the airflow, yea yea I know OCD over here) with more holes. I've attached a photo with a doodled area.

Of course a question comes up out of this, where could I get this done? I've asked around ... but I've received mostly two answers; this job is not big enough, and another saying that the machine one shop in particular would simply break from having to cut out that many holes.

Edit: well it seems I can't post a photo to the post, so I'm posting a link.

Last edited:

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
Hi, while I'm collecting my thoughts on what my next case will be I wanted to mod/have some fun with my current Ncase M1 ... particularly with the snap on side panels. I was wondering if any of you guys have done such atrocity as to have your side panels modified? I'm talking about filling up the rest of the panel (mostly for esthetic reasons, and I can cover them on the inside to maintain the airflow, yea yea I know OCD over here) with more holes. I've attached a photo with a doodled area.

Of course a question comes up out of this, where could I get this done? I've asked around ... but I've received mostly two answers; this job is not big enough, and another saying that the machine one shop in particular would simply break from having to cut out that many holes.

Edit: well it seems I can't post a photo to the post, so I'm posting a link.

I worked in a machining and manufacturing shop. I don't understand why a shop would tell you it would break their machine. We made products like this for customers frequently. It would seem to me this shop didn't want to do this for you. Setup and programming the machine takes a lot of time and then there are tool costs, power costs, coolant and labor costs. The problem is expense. The reality is your little job would either cost you immensely more than it is worth or the shop would lose money from not making a larger volume of profitable parts and from downtime to help you with yours.

If you have a drill press or know someone that does. You can easily drill these holes yourself.

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2018
Isn't this anodised aluminium? It's hard to machine either by CNC, laser, water etc, which might be the reason the shop turned you down.