Nano PSU and Coil Whine

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Hello, :D

I have seen lately an increase in interest over nano PSUs (G-unique and pure 12v AC-DCs) in the forums and I would like to ask about your general experience with coil whine with these small form factor focused kind of power supply.

I've used a HD-plex 160w DC-DC + 150w HP AC-DC in the past and man, the HD-plex had a high pitched noise that really bothered me. The external brick was alright most of the time but it would make some weird noise that reminded me boiling water but only when I'd run a stress test with a bios-tweeked gtx 750ti (I did this test just to see the actual gains of rising the power limit to 60+W). :p

I'd guess a 12v DC-DC would be less noise because it needs not to transform the voltage, acting just as a pass-through, but please, share your experiences! :)

Thank you

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I've used 2 of them (160-xt and some whitelabel aliexpress one) and have not experienced coil noise from the DC-DC. I've had several AC-DC units (not only from the pico psu) that did have coil noise though. Mostly either at very low load or at high load.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
My Meanwell EPP-300-12 makes no noises, at idle and load. Loudest noise is my fan at idle, which you can only hear at 6 inches to the case.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
I've had several AC-DC units (not only from the pico psu) that did have coil noise though. Mostly either at very low load or at high load.

It's so hard to find good info on AC-DC around regarding coil noise. :/

My Meanwell EPP-300-12 makes no noises, at idle and load. Loudest noise is my fan at idle, which you can only hear at 6 inches to the case.

That's very good to hear. I'm looking forward to the extents of the Meanwell EPP line-up + DC-ATX or the HDplex 300w internal AC-DC, which should be coming soon. The HDplex one will probably come with their 19v DC-ATX bundled and I hope it gets to be silent.

Has anyone ever experienced noise regarding the HDplex DC-ATX? Also it would be very cool if they released a DC-ATX version with input range wide enough to accommodate 12v.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It's so hard to find good info on AC-DC around regarding coil noise. :/

That's very good to hear. I'm looking forward to the extents of the Meanwell EPP line-up + DC-ATX or the HDplex 300w internal AC-DC, which should be coming soon. The HDplex one will probably come with their 19v DC-ATX bundled and I hope it gets to be silent.

Has anyone ever experienced noise regarding the HDplex DC-ATX? Also it would be very cool if they released a DC-ATX version with input range wide enough to accommodate 12v.

That said, don't be surprised for some noise. It's quite random to get coil whine.

I don't think HD-PLEX will expand their input range anytime soon. They are too invested in 19V.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I spoke to Larry regarding a wide input of 12-24V, but after talking to his engineer apparently it mucks up the entire step down mechanism to do this. The only think I could think of is having two separate V-in connectors, one for 16-24V and then one for straight 12V that bypasses the step-down mechanism for 16-24V. 3.3V and 5V could be peeled off at a later point I'm sure. Also if it is your intention to use a Meanwell supply, the 24V versions fit the bill quite nicely (there is one in both power supply series we talk about here).

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
That's unfortunate :c

I know that thin-ITX mobos from Gigabyte had very wide input range, so I had hopes the actual implementation on an already good product as the HDplex's was easy.

The idea of using Meanwell products seems very promising. My HDplex 160w (old model) does emit coil whine, so even if I used an good Meanwell for 24V I'd still feel uneasy.

Has anyone experienced coil whine with G-unique or with the new HDplex units?

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Has anyone experienced coil whine with G-unique or with the new HDplex units?

Just got the HDPlex 160 few days back, the new model - hooked it up with genuine 230w HP brick and oh yes, she whines. On idle it is quietly whining but it ramps up and down depending on what I am doing. It isn't as if high-loads produce more whine and less loads produce less, it is just dependent on the task it seems, but it isn't consistent even with those tasks.

So, the short is, yes the new one whines for me. On my test bench .5m - .7m from my ears I can hear it when it is at it's worst.

I don't have a GPU or any expansion hooked up yet either, just an i5-6500 65w part and 1 SSD.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
Just got the HDPlex 160 few days back, the new model - hooked it up with genuine 230w HP brick and oh yes, she whines. On idle it is quietly whining but it ramps up and down depending on what I am doing. It isn't as if high-loads produce more whine and less loads produce less, it is just dependent on the task it seems, but it isn't consistent even with those tasks.

So, the short is, yes the new one whines for me. On my test bench .5m - .7m from my ears I can hear it when it is at it's worst.

I don't have a GPU or any expansion hooked up yet either, just an i5-6500 65w part and 1 SSD.

Can you least the motherboard + manufacturer you are using. Coil whine shouldn't be present, and I wonder if it's due to something else. (i also have i5-6500 with coil whine)

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Can you least the motherboard + manufacturer you are using. Coil whine shouldn't be present, and I wonder if it's due to something else. (i also have i5-6500 with coil whine)

Motherboard shouldn't really matter, but: on a gigabyte gah170n, 1 crucial SSD and the HP 230w brick I mentioned earlier. Already contacted Larry just waiting now.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I am experiencing very, very minor coil whine on my HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX (nanoATX Series) for the past week or so after I upgraded my CPU to Kaby Lake Pentium G4600. Gonna watch it to see if it increases in loudness or just disappears. Currently it is not loud enough to bother Larry (HDPlex) about it as it is just barely detectable... hell my right ear tinnitus is louder! Other than that I am very happy with it and the HDPLEX 80W AC-DC (nanoATX Series).

My system's average normal daily use is ~41 Watts with a maximum peak of 69 Watts so I am well within the 80 Watts limit of my power supply:

CPU = <60 Watts (max while under UserBenchmark's 100% stress has been 59.67 Watts but typically it remains well under 30 watts)
16 GB DDR4 RAM = ~5 Watts
Tt Engine 27 CPU Cooler = ~1 Watt
Noctua Fan = ~1 Watt
Noiseblocker Fans = ~2 Watts
SSD M.3 = ~2 Watts (primary drive)
SSD 2.5 = ~1 Watt (secondary back-up drive)
Darkside UV LEDs = <5 Watts
AQ DragonFly Black = <2 Watts
----------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL:
<80 Watts
----------------------------------------------------------------

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I am experiencing very, very minor coil whine on my HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX (nanoATX Series)

Got a replacement unit from Larry, it whines and cackles too - but much less than the first. I think I have had one PSU unit in my life (of all form factors) that allowed 0 whine when you press your ear up against it. The last 160 was audible at 1m when working, which is no good. This one is OK.

Still, I have not pushed either with a GPU yet. I will try that ASAP and see what happens and if things get worse or better.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016