HD Plex 300W Coil Whine and crashes

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Hi SFF Folks,

I got my GTX 1080 Mini yesterday, I use it with an ASUS Strix Z270i, an 7700k and 32GB Corsair LPX 3000 RAM.
My PSU is the HD Plex 300w with the 330W Dell brick. I play on 34" 3440x1440. No overclocks

My problem is that the 1080 gets a really loud and annoying coil whine with the HD Plex and even system crashes if games are loading or after 10-15min of gaming. I tried to cap the FSP, but the whine is there. Now I changed the PSU to an old ATX PSU that I hab laying arround and the whine is gone and the system is stable.

How do you guys, which own the same config, get you system stable and without whine?

Thank you,
Beard

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
I could be wrong here, but you might be pushing too much power. According to the Power Supply Calculator here, you are around 315-360W.

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
So, I tried a range of 70% till 80%, the coile whine is still there and some times even in Windows if I start a browser or Steam for example. It's definetly the HD Plex

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you look at the power draw on your build it is a bit beefy. The CPU will typically draw around 80W with a typical gaming load at stock speeds (95W on synthetics) while the GPU pulls about 180W (momentary spikes up to 250W are normal). While on normal loads you're probably pulling an average of 275W (other components need power too), realistically you're probably hitting the low 300W range quite often.

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
But several other in this forum run the same config? I found a video on youtube where the whine is the same with 245W drawn total.

trik777

Chassis Packer
Mar 8, 2017
I think you should be able to run it just fine. I would start checking for possible failures in the system like try another power brick first and if that does not fix it you could have a faulty HDplex cpu or GPU or MOBO (unlikely but hey I have seen stranger things).

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
I think you should be able to run it just fine. I would start checking for possible failures in the system like try another power brick first and if that does not fix it you could have a faulty HDplex cpu or GPU or MOBO (unlikely but hey I have seen stranger things).

as I wrote above I tested the same config with an older ATX PSU without any issues. yeay I build systems for friends and myself since 14 years, but I never ran in such a loud coil whine. I don't have another brick ready to see if its the HD Plex itself or the brick that cause the Plex to scream like hell

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
You mean coil whine like that ( personal experience..)

If it's the case, please raise rma and ask replacement of your hdplex, it could happen

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So I realize that my last post wasn't probably that helpful. The reason coil whine happens is because the inductors on the board often vibrate due to the electricity passing through them. If this vibration falls within the range of your hearing (8,000-20,000 Hz) then you'll hear whine. What this means is that you have to change the power draw of your system (either down or up) to move the vibrations back outside of your hearing range. Considering your system is at the higher end of the rated draw, I thought that it might be safer to downclock so you don't fry anything. Conversely you could also try some slight overclocks of the GPU and /or CPU to see if that handles the situation. The HDPlex should be able to handle over 300W easily so long as cooling is adequate. The 330W Dell can probably handle total power spikes into the 360W range safely as bricks are typically engineered to handle 10-15% above their rated wattage.

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
So I realize that my last post wasn't probably that helpful. The reason coil whine happens is because the inductors on the board often vibrate due to the electricity passing through them. If this vibration falls within the range of your hearing (8,000-20,000 Hz) then you'll hear whine. What this means is that you have to change the power draw of your system (either down or up) to move the vibrations back outside of your hearing range. Considering your system is at the higher end of the rated draw, I thought that it might be safer to downclock so you don't fry anything. Conversely you could also try some slight overclocks of the GPU and /or CPU to see if that handles the situation. The HDPlex should be able to handle over 300W easily so long as cooling is adequate. The 330W Dell can probably handle total power spikes into the 360W range safely as bricks are typically engineered to handle 10-15% above their rated wattage.

no problem! =) I know what coil whine is. That's why I asked for further advice. I don't think slight OC would be the way, because on "default" the system shut down if the GPU (100% powertarget) has spikes. I tested a range from 70%-80% poertarget, there, the system is stable gut the whine is still there

kirin

Chassis Packer
Jul 1, 2016
Afterburner get real finicky with the gpu boost and power target, have you tried manual underclocking the card? That was what worked for my 1070. If not rma HDPlex is pretty lenient with its rma policy.

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Afterburner get real finicky with the gpu boost and power target, have you tried manual underclocking the card? That was what worked for my 1070. If not rma HDPlex is pretty lenient with its rma policy.

no, thank you. I'll try this

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
I assume the main problem/limiting factor with this type of PSU is the brick. My Dell unit delivers 16,9A on the 12V rail and if this is correct, the 1080 wants at least 32A and on top of that add some other components.

Corruptedfile

Caliper Novice
Mar 12, 2017
I had the same issues except for the crashing part, I noticed that there was only coil whine when doing something stressful like benchmarks. While doing some research I noticed that I had the CPU cable on the wrong plug from what the picture showed on the official site of the HD HiFi 300plex. Once I swapped the GPU and CPU cables it was perfectly fine after running some benchmarks and no coilwhine. I'm also running 7600k stock with a GTX 1070.

Last edited:

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
I had the same issues except for the crashing part, I noticed that there was only coil whine when doing something stressful like benchmarks. While doing some research I noticed that I had the CPU cable on the wrong plug from what the picture showed on the official site of the HD HiFi 300plex. Once I swapped the GPU and CPU cables it was perfectly fine after running some benchmarks and no coilwhine. I'm also running 7600k stock with a GTX 1070.
thank you for the hint. I checked the cables, they are in the right place. There is a small label by each socket