HD Plex 300W Coil Whine and crashes

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
You ever solve this problem? I currently use the HDPLex + 1080 mini and am also getting coil whine. :/

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The 1070 and 1080 whine really no matter what PSU you are using, so you might be hearing some of that too. Most games the whine isn't there for me, which a few exceptions. Benchmarks do set em off.

(not directed at you, OP, as your main problem was with the HDPLEX).

Did you ever figure it out, @Tact1calBeard?

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@Josh | NFC I decided to email Larry, and ask if any other users had emailed him regarding the issue and he responded back with:

Hi
The design goal for this 300W DCATX is to support i7 plus GTX1070 platform.
GTX1080 is too much for this.From the power consumption maybe not, but the peak could draw around 30A or even 35A on 12V and it will cause coil whine.

Which I can understand. Before the HDplex, I had the 1080 mini hooked up to a Corsair SFX450 and experienced no noticeable coil whine during use. (Playing Hitman). Immediately after swapping out the Corsair for the HDPlex I noticed a whine. Now, it isn't a crazy loud whine, and it might not bother some, but I definitely noticed it. I am very anal about noise, so I will give the 1070 a shot. MSI just released their 1070ITX Aero which has a 0db mode for their fans below 60C. That's a huge plus for me.

On *that* note, I emailed Zotac regarding a bios update for their 1080 mini fan curve. While he told me a 0db on idle is difficult to implement (Bullshit), a update to lower the RPM of the fans on idle is coming soon.

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Hi,

no I couldn't get rid of the coil whine, regardless of what I've tried. I emailed HDPLEX and they responded yesterday.

Hi
The design goal for this 300W DCATX is to support i7 plus GTX1070 platform.
GTX1080 is too much for this.From the power consumption maybe not, but the peak could draw around 30A or even 35A on 12V and it will cause coil whine.

yeah, that was my suspicion

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yes, I know. I actually got the HDPLEX to eliminate the solenoid click the PSU makes every time it turns on/off. Im a bit weird with noise.
I guess you mean corsair sfx. I'm not sure sfx or sfx-l silverstonetek have the same feature ( personnally i like this clic power on/off)..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
external sfx psu = "normal" sfx psu? yes, I think that would be the way to go, because I don't think there will be bricks soon that support more A on the 12V
Yes you are right. Based on my similar experience with r9 nano (same issue of coil whine due to too high current peak), we are reaching current physical limit of dc/dc psu.
After external psu main issues are cable management and mobility but it power system without any problem

visualplastik

What's an ITX?
Feb 27, 2017
Has there been any speculation about a future, beefier, HD Plex where this is eliminated? Its a nice chunk of change for the Plex + Power Supply setup and I would probably wait, myself, than risk coil whine. If the PSU has whine then I will whine and my wife will take away the computer again.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@visualplastik Coil whine with the HDplex is a funny thing. It's like asking "How long is a piece of string?" Some people might consider it noisy while others may not even notice. Certain hardware combinations are more prone to noise.

I am very sensitive to noise. On idle and web browsing you don't get any noise. Put on a game and it's more apparent. But then again, you will be playing with the sound so it won't be noticeable.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Having spoken to Larry I know he tried hard to address coil whine with not only my Dynamo but also the next revision of the 300W DC-DC (that I believe he will be releasing shortly alongside the 300W AC-DC).

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Having spoken to Larry I know he tried hard to address coil whine with not only my Dynamo but also the next revision of the 300W DC-DC (that I believe he will be releasing shortly alongside the 300W AC-DC).

Hopefully the release timing might coincide with (limited) availability of Project Jolokia…!?!