My Ryzen Scratch Build Hackintosh

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
I thought that I would share my current project which is a Ryzen 7 1700X system and runs macOS and Window 10.

The system stands 245 mm tall, 143 mm wide and 234 mm deep.

My BOM is:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X source Amazon
CPU Cooler: noctua NH-L9 x 65 SE-4AM - source Amazon
Motherboard: GA AB350N-Gaming WiFi - source Newegg
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 ITX - source Newegg
PSU AC to DC: HDPLEX 300W AC-DC.PFC - source HDPLEX
PSU Dc to DC: HDPLEX 300DC - source HDPLEX
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) GSKILL DDR4 2133 - source Amazon
SATA Cables: 6” SATA cables from Circuit Assembly eStore
Dual Drive Rack: Mobile Rack 2 bay 2.5” - source Central Computers
Hard Drives: 3x Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM 7mm HD - source Amazon
WIFi/BT: from China via EBAY purchase Apple BCM94360CS2 WiFi/BT + M.2 adapter.
Hardware: McMaster Carr - SS M3 socket flat head screws + SS 6-32 socket flat screws
Modding Cubes: plated brass cubes - source Parvum.
Aluminum plate: .125” Aluminum 6061 sheet - source McMaster Carr
ABS Plastic: .125” and .250” ABS black sheet - source TAP Plastics
ITX Tray: modded a tray from NATI, source https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/itx-tray-with-modular-pci-and-psu-price-check.1944/

Long story short, I started out to build a quick bring up rig as I suspected that It would take a while for me to find a way to get hackintosh software up and running.

Over time the rig became a case (6 sides) and then I redid it to add a 1/2” so that I could add the dual drive mobile rack.

I boot Sierra and High Sierra along with Window 10. And initially I installed Open SUSE to check out the hardware.

The photos are arranged in a system reassembly order.

I trimmed down the mITX tray to just what I needed.

I made up this plate and attached the HDPLEX 300 PSU to it along with the AC input receptacle for the AC to DC module.

I made up an right side plate and base as seen here.

I adjusted cable lengths.

I modded my GTX 960 power entry port to an attached power cable (this to reduce the overall width of the case).

Install the cables before blocking access when install the top.

The top panel with the mobile rack mounted to it. Also and window in the panel to aid in hot air exhaust.

The inside of the front panel has a light pipe for the RGB motherboard function, Power switch, power LED, Hdd LED and reset switch with connectors for easy access. The 120mm fan is Thermotake TT-1225.

It is a fairly close quarters when harnesses are connected and mounting the from USB connector housing.

The HDPLEX AC to DC 300 W unite is mounted to the left side panel. The cables are tucked to toward the top panel as this side cover is positioned into place.

The front of the system fully assembled.

Note on the right side is an access window to the m.2 socket (not currently used).

The left side is fairly plain. The screw heads for the HDPLEX AC to DC module are found in the mid center.

The top panel originally had the two HDD mounted directly to the inside and the holes for that install are seen here.

The feet on the bottom panel are 1/4" and GPU is given a full 4" hole for air intake.

This project is complete for now. I was going to purchase the LOUQE Ghost S1 or DNK PRIME case but they not in production (yet).

Feel free to comment or quiz me on this system or my other projects.

Neil

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Bet that thing crushes FCPX rendering eh?

Sorry I do not own or use FCPX and I attempted to use HandBrake to rip a DVD and format it to H264. The same HandBrake application runs on my Mavericks workstation but on this RyZen workstation with High Sierra the app won't complete the first registration scan.

Neil

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Just an update on this Ryzen Hackintosh. I have been running this box 24/7 and noted that it has been up for 34 days without a reboot!

Neil

Reactions: Phuncz

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Well this Ryzen system has been running 24/7 for 7 months and has had no hardware or software faults! It is running Apple 10.13.2 with a hack kernel.

Anyway, I scratched the itch and now I am planning to put the system on the shelf. This is to make way for "My Way # 21"

Neil

Xenos2011

Case Bender
Jul 24, 2018
Hey there! I got inspired by your build to make one myself, I'm buying a miniTower case for now but I'm interested where can I find the Kernel that you use.

My build is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz box
COOLER: CPU ID-Cooling SE-214C-R ( Ill change it later for a Liquid cooling )
RAM: G.Skill Fortis ( for AMD ) 16GB 2400MHz CL16 1.2v Dual Channel Kit
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Dual OC 4GB GDDR5 128-bit
SUPPLY: nJoy Woden 80+ Gold, 750W
HDD: 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB
SSD: 2 * BIWIN A3 240GB SATA-III 2.5 inch
CASE: Segotep Polar Light Black v2 ( 3 Red fans included )
FANS: 2 * Marvo FN-10, Red LED 120mm​

I got 3 Questions:
  1. Where Can I find the Modified AMD Kernel? Or with a tutorial? I tried hackintoshing my older PC but with no success..
  2. Did you have any Issues with the WIFI or anything else? Which components are compatible and which are not?
  3. Can I go for a Higher MHz on the RAM? does the CPU/MOBO/OSX support it?
Thanks in advance! :)

Lucian

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Hey there! I got inspired by your build to make one myself, I'm buying a miniTower case for now but I'm interested where can I find the Kernel that you use.
... cut ...

I got 3 Questions:
  1. Where Can I find the Modified AMD Kernel? Or with a tutorial? I tried hackintoshing my older PC but with no success..
  2. Did you have any Issues with the WIFI or anything else? Which components are compatible and which are not?
  3. Can I go for a Higher MHz on the RAM? does the CPU/MOBO/OSX support it?
Thanks in advance! :)

Lucian

I used the AMD sub-forum on InsanelyMac.com and see this post: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/328795-amd-ryzen-high-sierra-install-guide/ and if you have issues I can attempt to help you. However if you are into Apple on PCs you should join both TonyMacX86 and InsanleyMac. I run Nvidia GPUs and there is an un-resolved issue where the Nvidia GPUc do not preform nearly as do on Intel systems.

Well the Apple support for WiFi does not include Intel NICs. So i changed out the WiFi module then no problem. I have more detail on my TonyMacX86 thread here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-s4-mini-nfc-project.216616/

I do not usually over clock so I'm not the one to ask. Check on the AMD forum pages on InsanleyMac.

I am pleased to see you going for a Ryzen system.

Xenos2011

Case Bender
Jul 24, 2018
I used the AMD sub-forum on InsanelyMac.com and see this post: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/328795-amd-ryzen-high-sierra-install-guide/ and if you have issues I can attempt to help you. However if you are into Apple on PCs you should join both TonyMacX86 and InsanleyMac. I run Nvidia GPUs and there is an un-resolved issue where the Nvidia GPUc do not preform nearly as do on Intel systems.

Well the Apple support for WiFi does not include Intel NICs. So i changed out the WiFi module then no problem. I have more detail on my TonyMacX86 thread here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-s4-mini-nfc-project.216616/

I do not usually over clock so I'm not the one to ask. Check on the AMD forum pages on InsanleyMac.

I am pleased to see you going for a Ryzen system.

Thank you! I'll try and do my best. I will post a update once I buy all the components and successfully install High Sierra on it.

Have a great day!