My Way # 22 - Yet another scratch build case

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Temps are really good. I don't think adding a mesh to the CPU fan will impact them that much, holes in your meshes are quite big.

Yep will be hard to keep the epoxy from going to the outside. Applying as few as possible will be the key I guess.
Maybe adding a protecting tape on the inside, covering the see-through part of the mesh, will help a little?
Or holding the side panel vertically, and only apply epoxy to the bottom junction. So in case it flows, it will do it on the interior of the panel, away from the visible mesh. Then wait wait until it hardens, rotate the side panel and do the next junction on the bottom. Dunno if I'm clear enough...

I was actually speaking about this little gap in my last post:

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Temps are really good. I don't think adding a mesh to the CPU fan will impact them that much, holes in your meshes are quite big.

Yep will be hard to keep the epoxy from going to the outside. Applying as few as possible will be the key I guess.
Maybe adding a protecting tape on the inside, covering the see-through part of the mesh, will help a little?
Or holding the side panel vertically, and only apply epoxy to the bottom junction. So in case it flows, it will do it on the interior of the panel, away from the visible mesh. Then wait wait until it hardens, rotate the side panel and do the next junction on the bottom. Dunno if I'm clear enough...

I was actually speaking about this little gap in my last post:

Yes I am not rushing into the epoxy sessions. I was thinking to blue tape the exterior side of the panel(s) and maybe even blue tape the mesh. I will work on a glass table top to get the panel and mesh into the same plane. Then the idea is to place very small dots of epoxy at the points that the mesh meets the panel.

I intend to start the epoxy as soon as I finish a few other more demanding projects.

When I do the final reassembly I plane to adjust the panel fit (fine tune) by tweaking the Parvum modding cubes.

More to follow
Neil

Reactions: BaK

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Love the work you've done with flush-mounting that mesh. And while hex mesh isn't necessarily the quietest (at least not if you force a lot of air through it - my GF's Corsair C400's top vent proves that! Though your mesh is far more open than that design.) it looks damn good. The grey anodization also looks great. Any plans for painting the mesh? Personally, I think it looks a bit unfinished in its "raw" color; I would probably prefer it in a darker shade than the main body (that would also make the contrast to the dark internals of the PC behind the mesh less striking). Perhaps not pure black, but a dark grey?

I have to ask, though: how did you cut your panels? Do you do it yourself, or buy them from somewhere? And what (roughly) is your total budget for a case like this?

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Love the work you've done with flush-mounting that mesh. And while hex mesh isn't necessarily the quietest (at least not if you force a lot of air through it - my GF's Corsair C400's top vent proves that! Though your mesh is far more open than that design.) it looks damn good. The grey anodization also looks great. Any plans for painting the mesh? Personally, I think it looks a bit unfinished in its "raw" color; I would probably prefer it in a darker shade than the main body (that would also make the contrast to the dark internals of the PC behind the mesh less striking). Perhaps not pure black, but a dark grey?

I have to ask, though: how did you cut your panels? Do you do it yourself, or buy them from somewhere? And what (roughly) is your total budget for a case like this?

The hex mesh is from McMaster Carr, see this page https://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-sheets-with-openings/=1e2f5u1

The mesh can be painted as I did on this project:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...3r-into-a-prodigy-mini-itx-case.168344/page-2 post # 13, and seems to hold up well. However I like the contrast on this project and I intend to leave it as is.

The panels are cut from 12 x 0.125 inch square 6061 aluminum sheet stock using a Jet brand 10 inch table saw. I have worked to get the saw aligned with the fence slots which allows these cuts with ease.

Then all of the detail cuts for vents and IO are done using a jig saw followed up with a lot of hand filing to the desired cut line.

I also use a floor standing drill press. And battery powered hand drill motor for hole threading.

Modding and custom cases are my hobby and projects like this one are very expensive to the point that the S4 Mini, the Dan case and the Ghost S1 case in comparison are inexpensive. So there is no budget limit on this and other projects.

More to follow
Neil

Reactions: AleksandarK

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Modding and custom cases are my hobby and projects like this one are very expensive to the point that the S4 Mini, the Dan case and the Ghost S1 case in comparison are inexpensive. So there is no budget limit on this and other projects.
Thanks for the explanation! It's always interesting to get a look into the methods (and tools) used by people who do interesting work. As for the cost, that was roughly as expected :p Given what prices I've come across for thick metal plate stock for laser cutting and similar, just the metal alone seems to be a rather significant cost, let alone getting it cut or getting access to the tools necessary. I think all of us in here have an understanding for over-spending on our hobbies, though :D

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Thanks for the explanation! It's always interesting to get a look into the methods (and tools) used by people who do interesting work. As for the cost, that was roughly as expected :p Given what prices I've come across for thick metal plate stock for laser cutting and similar, just the metal alone seems to be a rather significant cost, let alone getting it cut or getting access to the tools necessary. I think all of us in here have an understanding for over-spending on our hobbies, though :D

On the subject of how other people do projects, check out Attila's guides and gallery: http://www.stillthinking.com.au/home.html
In my book Attila is a master craftsman.

Neil

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
On the subject of how other people do projects, check out Attila's guides and gallery: http://www.stillthinking.com.au/home.html
In my book Attila is a master craftsman.

Neil

Hello, Neil!

I loved following your work; you have done a fantastic job and I know how satisfying it must feel.

Attila/Oldnewby is one of the master craftsmen that inspired me to do what I do today. One day I hope to produce hand work as beautiful as the projects I have seen from him over ten years ago. I will never kid myself into thinking I can catch up. ;)

Peace