Log Lone L5 workstation

Smole

Chassis Packer
Apr 29, 2022
I love your build (and am very jealous of your l5, they are hard to get these days ahah).
But instead of partially obstructing the front fans would there not be enough space to place the HDPlex GaN unit in the free volume between the CPU Cooler and the sidewall.
It wouldn't have to be directly above the cpu cooler, mabe more towards the Ram, or maybe closer to the GPU backplate?
Just a thought, though maybe you wouldn't have enough clearance for cables to plug into the hdplex anymore. i would love to see a testfit though. been wondering if this config was possible for a long time.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I love your build (and am very jealous of your l5, they are hard to get these days ahah).
But instead of partially obstructing the front fans would there not be enough space to place the HDPlex GaN unit in the free volume between the CPU Cooler and the sidewall.
It wouldn't have to be directly above the cpu cooler, mabe more towards the Ram, or maybe closer to the GPU backplate?
Just a thought, though maybe you wouldn't have enough clearance for cables to plug into the hdplex anymore. i would love to see a testfit though. been wondering if this config was possible for a long time.
That was my first thought but the GaN unit is 25mm thick, there's just not enough space available above the CPU cooler (which sits at 47mm).

I could go with an HDPLEX200W plug-in unit, but they are discontinued and I'd really like a brickless L5 if possible. Went through the 55 pages of the L5 thread in search for temperatures benchmarks with no fan installed but couldn't find any.

The RTX A2000, using a blower style cooler, won't dump heated air inside the chassis. Maybe I could use some kind of foam duct (like Noctua foam stack) to seal the space between the CPU fan and the side panel and create a positive pressure... if the chassis vents alone aren't enough

Last edited:

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
In theory that should work, back when the 3950x released I ran a Dan A4 v1 with 3950x and a 1080ti blower card with the only additional fan being a 40x10 noctua mini fan to try get some air down the back of the mobo for the second nvme. it ran 'hot' but within spec temps, (cpu was in eco mode, with c7g and noctua fan swap like yours) so given you are looking at lower TDP GPU and CPU here, you should be fine as long as your are comfortable with higher temps that lots of people on this forum are. when i moved to water cooled T1 and jumping off eco mode, my temps didnt get 'that much' better, you could also go for the noctua 40x10's or a pri of them on the side as exhausts, using cpu with duct as intake, and potentially also duct the gpu intake.

your L5 build is my dream build in my hunt for ever smaller systems, I gave up my 3950X 6900xt workstation build and switched to a Lenovo Tiny with a T1 for size and power consumption, but would love to take it brick less in a L5 form instead and up the performance to the A2000.
in the mean time ill watch your build enthusiastically.

Reactions: Soul_Est

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Update time: I've been very unlucky with this rig so far. I posted my issues in another thread, but long story short, that motherboard is an utter unstable mess.

Time to change everything and return to my beloved industrial thin mini-ITX boards. The Lone L5 being so industrial looking, I'd rather go all in for the indus style (with the mandatory ketchup & mustard wires of course)

Here are the components I'm planning (but I have a few questions for anywho can answer them) :
  • Lone Industries L5 + 2x NF-A8 PWM chassis fans
  • Intel core i9-13900T + Dynatron Q5 (with NF-A6x25 PWM fan swap)
  • Asrock Industrial IMB-1240-WV
  • 64GB DDR5 SODIMM
  • Nvidia RTX A2000 12GB
  • Micron 7450 MAX 800GB m.2 (for the Power Loss Protection feature) + Thermalright HR-10 heatsink
Been drooling on Asrock Industrial thin mini-ITX for years now. Here's what I like about this one :
  • DC in only (12-28V)
  • Full size PCIe gen5 x16 (supports x8/x8 bifurcation)
  • 2.5Gbe (Intel i226V) + 1Gbe (Intel i219LM) with vPRO
  • 2242/2280 + 2242 PCIe gen4 x4 NMVe
  • 2230 for wireless
  • 3042/3052 connected to a SIM socket for 4G/5G modem
  • Socketed fuses and BIOS chip (just in case @Soul_Est)
IMB-1240-WV 45.png
Now for the questions .... power supplies ! The store that sells this board also has an FSP branded 180W 12V AC-DC (with thread locking jack), but I'm not confident running it at close to 100% capacity for extended period of time.

While searching for alternatives, I discovered that desk AC-DC from Meanwell and it pretty much ticks all my boxes : Meanwell ENP series

While this is not very SFF, this compliments the industrial look so well šŸ„°. They are available in a wide range of wattage, all of them in either 12V, 24V or 48V.

Now for the questions:
  1. Should I get 12V or 24V ?
  2. Does Weipu have a connector, similar to the SF12 but for DC, that would be suitable ?
  3. Do you know of any store that would build cable on order (bare 4 wires to Weipu + Panel mounted Weipu to CPU 4 pins) ?
I'm thinking that the 24V would be better because of the lower amperage. The idea would be to connect the Meanwell directly to the internal 4 pins (takes 12-28V and is CPU 4 pins connector physically) via a Weipu like connector (as an example, SF12 are listed as compatible with the hole at the back of the L5).

Note: If I can find one in stock, I'll go with the IMB-X1240-WV (same mobo but W680 chipset), for full ECC memory with core CPU.

Last edited: