Log Gigabyte LP 4060 3L Build out

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Going to throw together a build around the new low profile 4060 when I get it. This will be designed for DC system so will use a pico box to step down from 28.5v lithium on battery, and step down from 19v on mains using brick. If the X3-ATX-300 has some issue I have the X9-ATX-320 as backup which has better specs but is a bit thicker so won't fit the PURE, but would fit in Stratos X.

Preliminary specs:

Asus B660i
Intel 13600k
AXP90x47 with NF-A14-HS swap
32GB Oloy 6600mhz
Gigabyte LP 4060 deshrouded
Pico Box X3-ATX-300 (16-28v)
J-HACK Stratos X or PURE MKII or custom case tbd
Power source (off grid): 28vdc direct battery
Power source (mains): SlimQ 240w GAN

Volume estimate: 3L - 4.6L

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Received the card from B&H today (as did a few other people).

Deshrouded it should be ~2mm shorter (180-181mm)

Fits in a Pure

Appears to fit in the cases OK so its just a matter of figuring the if the pico box dc-atx ("long strip", not plugin units) can sort of be crammed next to the edge of a board. I don't have a good plugin pico unit that would be able to handle this, unless I changed up the build to go with a very power efficient cpu.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Pico box psu does fit into the pure with a bit of modding

Unfortunately since pico box always lies about their specs it doesn't deliver anything close to the 18 amps +12v rating, probably more like 12 amps which is cutting into the functionality of the build quite a bit. Need to do a bit more testing to rule out the brick or wiring but looks like this won't work

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Looks like the build in the pure holds up as long as the CPU is limited pretty aggressively to 45w. Less than ideal (65w would be OK) but for the time being this is OK until a better dc-dc is available. This is still way way faster than an A2000 build

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
Unfortunately since pico box always lies about their specs it doesn't deliver anything close to the 18 amps +12v rating, probably more like 12 amps which is cutting into the functionality of the build quite a bit. Need to do a bit more testing to rule out the brick or wiring but looks like this won't work
Add this to the list of reasons to not trust Pico-Box PicoPSUs. I bought a quite expensive plug-in pico (Z4-ATX-200) that was supposed to deliver 180w and it's barely able to power up an APU build without shutting down.

I recommend two units from my own ordering and testing, but you gotta commit to 12V instead of 19V.

This guy: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005003792408554.html (The green one)
300w+
Requires modding for a PCIe 12V cable, but it's easy, it has available through-hole vias

Or this one, a bit more expensive, but seems to be able to handle much more wattage:
600w (Apparently, but up to 300w didn't have any issues)
No modding necessary, as a PCIe cable already.
Beefy 12v input cable.

Personally, I've never found any unit that seems to be a safe choice when it comes to 19V input Picos that are not HDPlexes.

Cool build with a cool card so far!!!

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
This is a Pure Mk2, right? I don't think the regular Pure supported GPUs at all...

Either way, I am super jealous! Refreshing like crazy to see if this thing pops up anywhere in the EU...

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
@msystems are you using the lithium battery as an input frequently? Otherwise I'd consider a 12V setup, makes it easier given most of a modern PC is geared towards 12VDC input already.
I can send you my G-Unique setup which is a 400W AC/DC adapter (12V XT90 output) and appropriate DC-ATX/PCIe if it's suitable for you - I've run a 5600X/6800XT (both HEAVILY overclocked) off that before without a single hiccup.

I'm impressed how performant the RTX4060 is with only 115W, given my (140W) A2000 still only manages 9020pts graphics at it's absolute BEST! Makes me glad I have mine on order now. It definitely looks like your performance is getting hampered somewhat by the CPU power limit, too! I wonder if your graphics score would increase as well once you can spin up the CPU to a reasonable speed...

::EDIT:: I am, of course, assuming that 4060 is completely stock - no Afterburner or anything...?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
12v is certainly easier but it means switching to and carrying around a much bigger brick than the slimQ gan and adding 12v step down converter to the battery circuit. No big deal but on battery since the cheap 12v step downs don't meet atx spec on ripple, It will need a spare hdplex 400 lying around to create the 12v input with low ripple, and from there is ready to power a g unique or m2426.

So if it doesn't work out can either go to 12v with the same case size or go to a slightly bigger case with a better 19v pico.

The 10300 score is stock 4060. I haven't played with afterburner too much but +100 core gets another 200 points. It can probably get to 10600 score with bumping the core and memory?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
12v is certainly easier but it means switching to and carrying around a much bigger brick than the slimQ gan and adding 12v step down converter to the battery circuit. No big deal but on battery since the cheap 12v step downs don't meet atx spec on ripple, It will need a spare hdplex 400 lying around to create the 12v input with low ripple, and from there is ready to power a g unique or m2426.

So if it doesn't work out can either go to 12v with the same case size or go to a slightly bigger case with a better 19v pico.

The 10300 score is stock 4060. I haven't played with afterburner too much but +100 core gets another 200 points. It can probably get to 10600 score with bumping the core and memory?
12V also means bigger cables, etc so totally understand.

nVidia GPUs tend to behave the best when you overclock with the V/F curve:

Pick a voltage point you think should be the maximum voltage (e.g. 843mV)
Shift-click & drag to highlight all the points to the right of that, release the mouse.
Click on any of the highlighted points, drag all the way down - all of the highlighted points should move together.
Click on the tick in the main window to accept the change, and marvel at the curve flattening out. This is how you set your voltage limit.
Alt-click on any of the highlighted points, and drag upwards until it reaches your desired maximum clock speed at the chosen max voltage, this will pull the entire curve upwards.
Click on the tick in the main window to accept the change.

Keep an eye on hot spot & memory temperatures, test with your preferred benchmark, furmark, game etc. and have fun!

Reactions: msystems

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Finally finished this build

The long delay was having no time to make the custom cables it needed, but they are finally made. As you can see the 24 pin, eps, and gpu all need custom length as there is no spare room.

That's awesome, love your work! What's the total volume now? 3L?

I'm still trying to figure out a sensible way to have the GPU flipped (so intake all on one face) but maintain the volume...

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Pure mkII is 3.14 liters but it uses dc-atx so figure for a brick as well.

The optimal airflow method for this case is to deshroud GPU then use dual 60mm fans in exhaust configuration, this forces the gpu exhaust outside of the back side of the case and its impossible for it to be recirculated into the intake fan. Currently the temps are OK enough that I don't think this is necessary, but it would be the next step.

You can't see the rear vents in my photos but there is a picture here. The vent pattern is designed so 60mm fans attach into the pattern itself.
The holes inside the pattern were designed for a Meanwell.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Small update on this finished build - the cause of some of the instability was not the PSU, but actually WHEA errors on Gen4.0, and downgrading to PCI Gen3.0 corrected all of the crashing issues. Will require further investigation to see which component is causing that.

The power limit adjusted back up to 65w PL1/PL2 in the 2P4E configuration is enough to stop all frequency stutter in single-core tasks, and you can see there is a consistent cpu frequency maintained in Timespy. The power budget is thus 65w + 115w = 180w, very comfortably within the ability of the SlimQ 240w GAN brick.

The 4060LP also seems to have quite a lot of headroom on Core and enormous headroom on Memory.

While the default heatsink is capable of keeping core temps in check, there doesn't appear to be a Memory Junction temperature sensor on this card so the memory temps are unknown.

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Unfortunately nVidia removed both the shunt resistors for power sense and also any form of memory temperature sensors. :(

That's a pretty solid result for TimeSpy too, I'm only just beating that with a 5600G and a fair bit of trial-and-error on the Freq/Volt curve

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Which motherboard are you using @msystems? The WHEA errors while using PCIe 4.0 was a problem with the Gigabyte z690i Aorus Ultra.

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
Any reason you went with a 13600K? Feels like you could use a 13400F and lose absolutely no performance (at those wattages).

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Unfortunately nVidia removed both the shunt resistors for power sense and also any form of memory temperature sensors. :(

That's a pretty solid result for TimeSpy too, I'm only just beating that with a 5600G and a fair bit of trial-and-error on the Freq/Volt curve

That seems like a very good result considering the 5600g. Can you share the frequency and voltage you tuned it to?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
That seems like a very good result considering the 5600g. Can you share the frequency and voltage you tuned it to?
Damn I thought I had that in the result description. Maybe that’s on a different run. I’ll check next chance I get :)