My ix-01b teeny tinkerbox

Beige

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
This little puppy gets to do all kinds of experimental stuff like trying out different Linux or BSD distros I stumble upon during my browsing hours. I don't care about wiping the entire disk every now and then and install something new just to check it out. Like most people would do in VMware, I guess.

It holds an i3 haswell dual core, 3.5 GHz. 8 gigs of ram. 128GB sata SSD. The Chieftec ix-01b case allows for two 2.5" drives hanging above the cpu cooler, however I chose that Noctua cooler that is just a bit too tall, and stuck the SSD right next to it. I also have a Pico PSU that uses 12 volts. I soldered on a GPU power connector so all it needs is a standard PSU in close proximity...

Right now it runs Manjaro Linux an serves as the living room's entertainer, in other words it does the job of an HTPC and so far it does it well. All the storing of anything useful is done on the NAS of course. Everything is over wired ethernet.

This is where the GPU power cable comes up from the NAS just below. I drilled a hole in my shelf. The 12 volts of juice goes to feed the Pico PSU and I can power on / off the tinker box just as I like. The NAS is running 24/7 except when I'm on vacation.

Oh, and here is the final setup. The NAS on the lower shelf, the Tiny on the middle, and my routers above. And a nice spaghetti of cables behind it all...

Last edited: