Log S300 Streaming System

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Decided to test the AIO installation with the existing S400 streaming system, and its either gonna be "classic", as described elsewhere, or with a side-bracket.

For this, I removed the SI-100 from the CPU, and moved the PSU from the mb side to the GPU side, where there is quite some space left, because RTX 3050 single fan. With the test-fit, there is approx 20 cm space for a GPU, but when properly installed, there should be roughly 21 up to 22 cm.

The advantage of using a side-mounted AIO is, that I dont need to create a custom cover, I just can reuse the side-panel, at least in theory. IRL, there is going to be a gap of approx 10 - 15 mm between the panel and the case, so I'm planning to tap the border parts of the panel, and attach it to the case using threaded stand-offs, additionally securing it with neodym magnets.

As the side bracket, as already mentioned a few times, I'm going to use the one supplied with the SAMA IM01 (or in this case, the Inter-Tech Pocket IM-1), add some 90° angled brackets to the case floor and top to attach the side bracket to the back, and use the "tongue" of the other side to attach it to the front of the case.

Did a test fit with a side bracketed radiator, with lots of smearing around of leftover NH-T2 .. thankfully the Silverstone Vida 240 CPU block is still covered with its original plastic protection, else it'd look as "good" as the rest of the mainboard :D

There is not enough space to fit the radiator itself inside the case, but fans should be perfectly fine - so the setup is going to be: Fans + side bracket + radiator. If I'm able to use set up the side bracket "indent", so the radiator sits about 5 mm inside the case, the added width should be roughly 18 - 20 mm, so the overall volume would increase from 10.8L to approx. 12.2L.

The empty space left by the PSU could still be reused, eg. for stuffing all the fancy cables inside, and probably also the ARGB controller / fan hub.

Hoping to be done till next Wednesday with the basic setup. Else its open frame streaming once again :D

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Addendum: I'm going to test this side-bracket focused build, and see how well it performs, and after that, I'm gonna rebuild inside the SG16 with the same components, and test if it performs equally good or better.

For the SG16, the radiator would sit on top, while still requiring some kind of bracket or mounting option, but it looks a bit easier to do. But for the GPU, one would need a vertical GPU mount - a 2 slot or slimmer one, that has to be adapted to the PSU opening. I tested it placing my deshrouded GTX 1660 into it, and it worked decently well, but a proper mount thats to be attached to the case front and bottom is probably the wiser choice.

In theory, both setups should weight about the same, because the S400 side-bracket one uses a side bracket, which adds more weight, while the SG16 would require a GPU vertical mount, which also adds weight.

The advantage of the S400 over the SG16 is: It would still be thinner and a little bit less tall, there is bottom ventilation, and GPU mounting is already vertical from the get-go.

The advantage of the SG 16 over the S400 is: The overall build quality feels more integral, "aus einem Guss" (in one pour), AIO mounting is a bit less complicated (potentially even allowing for T30s), and adding additional fans outside of the "regularly" prepared locations looks way easier. Oh, and the mesh patterns seem to be a bit more apart, but thats still up to testing. Oh, and in theory, it'd also be easily converted to air cooling, allowing up a tower cooler up to 172 mm tall.

Edit: After writing up the advantages, I think I actually might choose the SG16 over the S400 as main case for my workstation, and move the streaming system components back into the S400 after doing the tests. Would never have thought that, but well - it IS still different when having the case one wants to build with sitting in front of you vs. digging up any kind of information before buying the case.

cu, w0lf.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Edit: After writing up the advantages, I think I actually might choose the SG16 over the S400 as main case for my workstation, and move the streaming system components back into the S400 after doing the tests. Would never have thought that, but well - it IS still different when having the case one wants to build with sitting in front of you vs. digging up any kind of information before buying the case.

cu, w0lf.

Do update us with some pictures, especially on the SG16 (if you really end up using it for your workstation).

We're especially curious with the efforts to install hardwares in places not designed to be, and/or hardwares that are bigger than what the case supports :)

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Do update us with some pictures, especially on the SG16 (if you really end up using it for your workstation).

We're especially curious with the efforts to install hardwares in places not designed to be, and/or hardwares that are bigger than what the case supports :)
I might actually build two watercooled systems now.

One being the S400, where I am currently trying to figure out if moving the middle frame / spine by 1 - 2 cm would allow to a) move the PSU back in its "original" location, and b) if this would still work with a 2-slot GPU.

Currently, there is a 2-slot GPU installed, and originally planned to set it to the two outer slots, but I had troubles attaching it properly to the riser mount, so I moved it to the two inner slots. For moving the spine, it would have to sit at the two OUTER slots, so thats something additional to figure out.

For the SG16, one would need a vertical GPU bracket, and optionally a riser cable (I already got one, which was meant for the Mesh-mATX build) for the GPU. The vertical bracket might actually fit without issues (eyeing this simple one by EZ-DIY FAB).
Obviously something like a HDMI or DP extension cord would also be a good idea; other option: I kinda remember seeing something like a combined extension + adapter card to put into one PCIe slot, which should be doable, because the radiator is only partially blocking one of both PCIe slots of the case.

Talking about the radiator: One needs some kind of 90° angled brackets to attach the radiator to. It fits without any issues inside the case, ie. also the front panel closes perfectly, without any issues like adding tension to the radiator etc.
Mounting of the fans should be done underneath of the radiator, because on top at least the one in front clashes with the GPU case cutout. With the 22 mm thin radiator of the Silverstone Vida, there is a gap of about 1 cm to the top panel of the case. One might improve air flow or noise levels with an additional radiator / fan duct.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I wonder if I had known I wanted to go for AIO / liquid cooling, if I should have taken the S300 instead .. in theory, this one is much better prepared for a top hat radiator + fan sandwich. Also doesnt suffer from the idiot decision to route the power extension over the mainboard VRM, but instead goes the GPU route.

Its also just 8L, and if one adds the radiator + fan sandwich on top, it'd be at max 10L, or when going with the original fans, it'd even stay below 10L, ie. ca. 9.5L.

The PSU might have to be moved to the bottom, because the tubes need to be routed somewhere, at least with the Silverstone Vida, which has off-centric ports. I dont think one would be able to route the tubes behind the PSU, because that requires moving it a bit forward, and, at least according to the pictures I have seen, there is not enough space to do so.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I think I'm giving up on installing the Silverstone Vida 240 - for now.

Turns out: The fillport clashes with the mounting brackets. I tried a few different ones, but anything that is essentially a regular rectangular frame .. simply doesnt work. Either it clashes with the fill port or the tubes.

And putting it inside on top wont work either, because there is no real option to mount it on anything - the supplied fan bracket is too thick.

Yay. 🤬 😭

Guess I gonna continue testing low profile coolers instead, and use the AIO in the SG 16 - _OR_ in the S300 - as planned.
And after I'm done with the LP cooler tests, I gonna return to the best one that still lets you close the side panel .. for a while. Until, that is, I've figured out how to install a 120 or 140 mm AIO (esp. without the supposedly supplied mounting brackets; yeah, there are none) :)

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: ignsvn

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Ok, I've done it now: Ordered the S300 .. twice. In white.
Should arrive tomorrow.

Plans are for a bit of free-wheeling Dremel Massacre: Add a few cut-outs for the tubes of the Vida 240 on the first case, and then create a top hat using the second case.

Gonna call it either S300-EX or maybe the S350. I mean, there already is an S450 thats 12L, and with this mod, the S300 is gonna be 10L. 10L = the original size of the S400.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
S300 x2 arrived - and I did a test fit with installing the PSU and decorating the Silverstone Vida 240 at its potential future positions.
... *drumroll* YES! it works! 😍 🥳

And even much better than in the S400 :)

So the next job is taking the correct measurements for a) a cut-out for the tubes and b) figuring out radiator / fan mounting options. Its probably boiling down to drilling holes in the top of the case, set the fans on the bottom and the radiator on top of it. Or so is the plan.

Top hat = cut-off top of the second case, attached with (neodym) magnets.

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: ignsvn

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Cut-cut-cut.

Today, a lot of stuff is gonna arrive, including:

- metal tin snips ("Professional Tin Snips")

- a Dremel mini-routing attachment

- some kind of "parallel cutting" helper for the Dremel (for straight cutting the top of the 2nd S300)

- something called a "Falzzangen-Set" (fold pinzers?) - its used to manually fold metal sheets etc. to specific angles (45°, 90°, etc.)

- a different PSU extension cable with the 90° angle pointing "down" - because the one supplied in the S300 doesnt go well together with most PSUs, at least if you dont want the GPU to breath inside of the PSU fan; you always have to twist it in angles that feel .. unsafe, to say the least (like: worse than creative tube arrangements in the A4-H2O 😅😱).

On that PSU topic: Thats an issue with BOTH the S300 and the S400. I suspect its also the case for all other related cases, eg. the S450, G200, etc.

Why not just go with a differently angled adapter? Eg. still angled by 90°, but "down" instead of the left or right. Sure, in the S400 V2 the cable is routed across the mainboard, but in the S300 it would certainly make much more sense, because the extension cable would be routed through the GPU side anyway.🤷‍♀️😎

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
For the cut-out, I've estimated an area between the begin of the mesh and the first hole for the handle attachment. So roughly 58 mm by roughly 60 mm, in the front right corner; that is because of the tube attachment on the Vida 240 is also located not in the mid, but to the side (offset).

Also to be done: Cutting away parts of the middle frame, roughly after the "side frame" attachment and the mainboard location. That is going to allow me to route the tubes safely across the top of the PSU. Else the radiator would probably not fit properly on top of the case.

The CPU water block itself is 45 mm, but I want to have a bit of wiggling room to avoid scratching the tubes, safely manouvering the CPU block through etc. Also I dont feel safe in removing the block cover (I've seen vids and pics where the re-attachment failed). And if I was to replace the Vida at some point (out of whatever reason, including going custom loop), other blocks should be able to pass safely as well.

cu, w0lf.

yrnvegeta

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 11, 2024
how strict is the 65mm height limit on this case could it fit my 3090ti in it. Size is L=331 W=150 H=70 mm
is there room for 5 more mm

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
how strict is the 65mm height limit on this case could it fit my 3090ti in it. Size is L=331 W=150 H=70 mm
is there room for 5 more mm
It could fit snuggly. The overall space available is about 78 - 80ish mm, but that doesnt include the standoffs for the riser cable. If all fails, you could shorten them a bit, or use the neodym magnet workaround to slightly extend the side panel.

Or just tap the side panel and case frame, using some screws to offset the panel properly :)

Last option: Deshroud :)

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Don't forget to put some pics :)
Working on it. Writing myself a custom "just drop it in here" self-contained image gallery application with simple admin + mobile-optimized upload options, cause there just doesnt seem to exist anything like that anymore. You either get absolutely rudimentary, unusable garbage or total overkill with lots of usability issues and security holes ..*sighs*

cu, w0lf.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Working on it. Writing myself a custom "just drop it in here" self-contained image gallery application with simple admin + mobile-optimized upload options, cause there just doesnt seem to exist anything like that anymore. You either get absolutely rudimentary, unusable garbage or total overkill with lots of usability issues and security holes ..*sighs*

cu, w0lf.

You can use imgur.

On the post WYSIWYG editor, click the media icon, and insert the imgur URL.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
You can use imgur.

On the post WYSIWYG editor, click the media icon, and insert the imgur URL.
Yes, I could use imgur, but I also could use WordPress, or anything else already existing.

on that note: imgur has a lot of issues, including not being very accessible, because they play around too much and break accessibility features AND "older" browsers, that DO allow for improved accessibility.

Or I could have fun. Because I've started programming as a hobby, just having fun. And I still have fun with programming, after 30+ years. The same kind of fun I'm having, when I do break my fingers and back, while playing around with way too small PC cases :)

Another lazy way out would be: Select appropriate photos on desktop, run a quick batch job with a decent image viewer / converter (I use ImageMagick because I'm used to, on Windoze it probably should be IrfanView), and upload everything into a directory located on my website. Its what I considered first, but its just no .. fun. And also not very flexible.

With the recreating of an ancient solution (with its story detailed below), it should be both fun and fulfilling needs 😍

Once upon a time there was a PHP script doing exactly the same, just a bit less polished, called qig (Quick Image Gallery, if I recall it correctly); it was a self-contained one file PHP image gallery script, that would auto-generate images in all required sizes, plus a quick selection of insertion codes. It was just that, but it excel in its job perfectly. Alas, that was in the mid 2000s. At some point, the author stopped its development, and nobody really took over or created anything similar.

Well, now is the chance to revive this beauty! As stated elsewhere, I AM VERY FOND OF CHALLENGES; and really, I need a get-away from all my regular work - which these days primarly consists of a) figuring out what others did wrong, b) fixing this, and c) improving whatever feature or website part was concerned at the same time. All of that with WordPress, WooCommerce and other E-Commerce heavy-weights (eg. Magento, etc).
Yes, it brings in the money, is challenging in its own rights and ways, but a lot of that not particularly creative or (re)inventing things newly. It also tends to get repetitive quickly, and that requires lots and lots of energy to endure.

surfcrone

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 21, 2024
Did disassemble the current system in the Meshlicious. Had lots of "fun" with installing the Thermalright AXP120-x67, because of its mediocre setup. The only issue I didnt have is heatsink vs. RAM height, LPX memory chips avoid this issue from the very beginning :)

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Did disassemble the current system in the Meshlicious. Had lots of "fun" with installing the Thermalright AXP120-x67, because of its mediocre setup. The only issue I didnt have is heatsink vs. RAM height, LPX memory chips avoid this issue from the very beginning :)
Yeah, its so much fun cutting your finger tips when trying to install the fan :D

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: rfarmer

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
The weather forecast for today predicted rain in the evening, so after my regular weekly client call, I decided to try out the diamond cutting disc.

Oh, and it plunged.

If you want to try the same, ie. some cut and crop action, just go directly for the diamond cutting disc. Them diamond is king!

Successfully cut a 5 x 9ish cm hole in the S300 top frame (
nearby the solid front end). Tried a bit with the grinding wheels, but found it to be .. meh. Probably nice for wood.
Gonna proceed as normal, and file and sand everything smoothly before doing the actual setup. Did a test threading of the CPU block with the tubes, and it was a bit tight, but worked in the end; wrapped it in a thick plastic bag to avoid scratching or cutting anything.

While I was at it, still no rain, I quickly decided to cut the middle / mb frame as well.
That diamond cutting disc really cuts into steel like butter .. smoooth. Max rpm is 30k, but I went with 20k, and it was totally ok.

Its roughly the bar thats located between the front end side bracket (that gets attached to the inner side of the top frame) and the second side bracket, which continues into the mb section.

Another task of filing and sanding it down, and then I might start building tomorrow 🥳

cu, w0lf.