Log Components for smallest possible NAS

Arelius

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 4, 2023
Hi guys,

I want to reach out and ask for some guidance on this since I'm truly in/on uncharted waters here.

My goal is to build my own NAS with TrueNAS running on it. I have and still are on Synology for the past 10-15 years, done some stuff to the solutions I had but I don't want to pay and get a solution like the ones I had again. Cause I frankly enjoy doing it all myself. :)

I think the first step is the motherboard and the case and there is where I'm asking for your inputs so I can get onto some clear path and chose the initial components.

I would like to;
  • stay within or close to the form factors "Thin Mini-ITX" or "Mini-STX" (but can't say I see this being possible).
  • be able to buy a 3D printed case for this, I can see this being beneficial so it potentially could scale up down the road - maybe or go for some (I don't know what else is out there) but stuff from SilverStone maybe (not really since there is no place to have the SSD disk in the cases).
  • have a motherboard with at least 2 SO-DIMM slots with support up to 64GB (maybe this is over kill?)
  • run TrueNAS on, installed on a M.2 PCIE NVMe so the MB needs to have one slot for those
  • have the main storage on SATA 2.5 SSD, 4-6 of them, I think I start with at least 4 disks with some swappable raid option
  • also have built in LAN port, 10Gb preferably (or is there anything better/Faster out there?)
  • possibility to being able to back the entire storage up and out into some external drive using USB/TB (or some other interface which is just as fast?)
  • have a fanless build but this is not something I cant compromise on and at the most I think it would ok with a low profile CPU cooler and maybe one case fan maybe or so but this all depends on the motherboard and the case which should be the very heart and soul of everything so to speak

My usage is mainly entertainment/media/file center and a backup solution for home PC's and Phones and Tablets. The content is mostly 4K, HDR, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, FLAC Lossless Audio and so on..

So here is some other question/thoughts/I think I have gathered so far;
  • Supermicro X13SAV-PS (from what I gather reading about these boards, power consumption is high on and also I don't think I can get my hands on one from where I live.. so maybe not a actually choice to have on the list)
So I guess my real choices are:

During all the reading and so I ran into some stuff so here is some more question;
Dose anyone have any experience from this one and/or the ones mentioned in the comments? (maybe one has to be ok with getting stuff from AliExpress, I'm really not comfortable by the tough of that..)​
I also ran into this post and therefore asking myself maybe anyone here have experience building something similar with some of these boards?​

Or maybe I go down a easier path with mini-ITX MB and (in comparison) massive power supply and all that even though not much of it is needed in a NAS-build?