Log S300 Streaming System

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Maybe I should call it the S396? Cause its ~96% of the S400 v2, at least when I'm finished with it, including the top hat.
Or just call it S300 GTI like a VW Polo GTI; cause custom modified for liquid cooling in Germany šŸ„³ šŸ¤£

cu, w0lf.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Maybe I should call it the S396? Cause its ~96% of the S400 v2, at least when I'm finished with it, including the top hat.
Or just call it S300 GTI like a VW Polo GTI; cause custom modified for liquid cooling in Germany šŸ„³ šŸ¤£

cu, w0lf.

S396 definitely sounds interesting.

On a different note, you know you can buy various sanding/filing bits for your Dremel right šŸ™‚

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
S396 definitely sounds interesting.

On a different note, you know you can buy various sanding/filing bits for your Dremel right šŸ™‚
I know, but the classic "proven and true" methods as of filing and optionally sanding down per manus are my preferred choice.

I did found out about the "conical" sanding/grinding bit eventually, which I might use for the slightly rageddy first handle screw hole, which was slightly damaged when doing my first tries with the regular cutting discs.

In the nearby future I might use other bits, but I have to test them all out properly beforehand. No use in scratching up everything :)

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Wanted to replace the fans on the Silverstone Vida 240, before final installation of the CPU block. But: It looks like the Silverstone Air Blazer 120 (RW) might actually be slightly better than the P12 Max?

Guess I gonna have testing rounds .. *sighs*

cu, w0lf.

ps: *sighing* because replacing fans in this setup is not as easy as with others.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
BAAAD news: The tubes of the Vida 240 are so horribly inflexible and un-bendy, that one cannot do stuff that has been done with a lot of other setups, eg. in the A4-H2O.

The CPU block connectors fit only in one direction, and thats with the tubes going over the SSD covers. VRM is out (slightly too tall) and the IO alu block is way too big, and yeah, even my LPX RAM is way too tall. If the case had a different layout, say, the PCI connector to the bottom, all would be cool. But with this? šŸ˜± šŸ˜­

Looks like as if I have to cut another hole in the top frame.

OR move the PSU to the other side, because else everything is filled with really rigid, inflexible tubes :(

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
<rant>šŸ¤¬

At this point, I'm really disappointed by the Silverstone Vida 240.
Even the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 is more flexible and easier to set up .. and the be quiet Silent Loop 2, which is a 280 mm AIO, is even more flexible ..

The disadvantages compared to most other AIOs are:

a) tube connector placement on the rad: most AIO rads I've seen have the ports located either inner or outer central, while the Vida 240 rad has its located to one side; this blocks it from properly installing it on any kind of top, and most side-panels, you can basically onyl install it "hanging" downwards, plus the additional refill port is perfectly misplaced as well .. No such issues with eg. the LF 2 or the SL 2!

b) tubes by itself are extremly rigid and inflexible, bending is worse than with the LF 2

c) the CPU block doesnt feel like it was made for current mainboards, esp. NOT ITX / SFF; eg. with most current ITX boards, except for some very reduced ones, the placement of the block is only possible with the tubes going above the m2 locations

d) To make it work, I still have to add a spacer of about 8 - 10 mm. Currently, thats the 1x1x1 neodym cubes I bought a few months ago. All summed up that turns into roughly 6 cm of height. "Advantage" of thin rad vaporated instantly.

The only advantages it got going for itself are: very thin rad, thin fans with still lots of power + pump built into the rad (although with that garbage CPU block, I dont see any advantage over a regular block + pump combo).

Just for comparison, I did a quick mockup test with the SL 2 280 ; and yeah, that one wouldnt have any issues with tube bending!It would also fix any "higher loop" issue etc. instantly. Strongly consider going for a Silent Loop 2 240 now.

Yes, its about 300 more weight, but with this setup? Doesnt really matter, the Fractal Design Ion SFX Gold is already such a brick with over 1.2 kg .. might replace it with the Corsair SF600 - less weight, true SFX form factor, and similarly good cables. *sigh*

If Fractal Design would just build a true SFX-sized PSU - expect for the size and weight, the Ion+ 650 Gold is realllly good. Has been performing ultra-reliable and ultra-silent so far, cables are very nice and so good to work with, length is almost perfect for most SFF cases, and so on. I mean, if it didnt weight as much as it does rn, I would actually still be ok with SFX-L, too.

</rant>

Ok, enough ranting!

Going to move the PSU to the other side, so that I at least temporarly get a properly running system! šŸ˜…

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
After further investigation - with this particular AIO, flipping the case might actually do the trick.

Meaning: One needs to cut a hole into the bottom of the case.
Now I'm just gonna prepare and do that. First disassemble the partially assembled contents, then test / mock fit parts, and do the cutting (again). Also, still on the same case. In theory, there shouldnt be any issues with flipping it and adding the secondary top frame on top, as planned.

Might even be an advantage, as the bottom part has larger holes plus pre-drilled mounting holes for fan attachment, and the holes are going completely to all sides.

Well, we'll see :)

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
So I did cut a nice big rectangular hole in the bottom of the case on Sunday.

Am putting together the system again. And gotta say: Using the bottom as top is a better approach. Not only do you get better access, at least with the Vida 240 tubes, but also you get 120 mm fan holes to mount the AIO directly to the case. My current setup is now: Bottom = top frame => 25 mm fan => AIO rad. Using the long screws supplied, all fits perfectly.

The "rolling in" - like a cinnamon roll - of the CPU block / tubes is working out as planned.

Another few steps further towards a working system :)

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
On another note: Yes, the case supports both SFX and SFX-L power supplies, but for the love of Goth, get an SFX PSU! Its no issue in the S400, but in the S300 its a huge PITA!

The Fractal Design Ion+ is great, but its "less than regular" location of the power connector leads to a lot of issues,
Namely the main issue is: Had to replace the PSU extension cord with the one supplied with the S400, because the one for the S300 is not flexible / long enough. To make it fit properly without breaking apart the extension cord, one has to point the PSU fan inside the case!

.. which I probably still have to do, because the tubes are clashing with the MB ATX power connector :(

Hence the very next step, after getting the system done and running again, is ordering a TRUE SFX power supply (plans are either Corsair SF600 or Seasonic SGX 650). Except if one would be able to get proper cables for the FSP Dagger Pro. Because although its a solid PSU, those cables are one of the worst I've ever seen - including non-modular PSUs.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Current case dimensions including radiator + fans: 24 * 13.5 * 31.2 ~= 10.11L
At the end it probably is gonna be around 24.5 cm, because there is still the top hat to add.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I've just ordered the SeaSonic SGX-750. Should arrive tomorrow, and then its replacement time!
And also, adding of the additional fans, wiring up of the ARGB stuff, and maybe figuring out which direction to go with the radiator mounting.

About the latter: Ordered a few bits of 3mm and 2mm wood slats (DIN A4 sized), which would be used both for mounting the fans to them (and thus, the radiator), but also for mounting the whole assembly to the case.

The Dremel is probably gonna cry tears of joy because its gonna do 120 mm donuts in wood and not steel for a bit :D

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
SGX arrived yesterday, and albeit its cables are rather stiff, they are not as horrid as the ones of the FSP. Also, no issues with bending them around. Alas, the next upgrade is gonna be custom cables, at least for the mainboard and ESP (and maybe GPU).

Seriously: If you consider building in the S300, get yourself a (true SFX!) PSU with superb cables, either custom cables from the start, or at least something on the level of the SF750. The S400 still lets you get away with SFX-L and stiff cables, but in the S300 its going to be a total PITA (or more like: PITF = Pain In The Fingers). Oh, and also: SFX has the advantage that, when you forgot to click the on-off-switch into the "on" position, you still are able to fumble it to "on" when going through the GPU side. THAT IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE with SFX-L.

TL;DR: Safe your fingers, reduce your stress level permanently, and get a true SFX PSU :)

Onto another topic:

60 mm fan would fit, if it was a slim one, eg. 15 or 10 mm. 25 mm doesnt work. Instead, we went for 80 x 15 mm (Thermalright TL-8015) on top of the CPU water block, kinda like a hybrid setup.
... and maybe later on gonna test some of the 40x10 fans I got sitting around, too.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Forgot to mention I dropped a few more images at my insta (including a short video clip):
Thats with the case already flipped upside down, the radiator etc. completely assembled, but still with the SFX-L PSU.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Added the third Silverstone Air Blazer 120RW that I had still sitting around (originally bought for testing purposes), to the GPU side. There is just about 1ish cm between GPU and start of the fan left, so it sits pretty flush.

Temps in mixed workload improved by 5 C, on full it "just" jumps between 58 and 60 C, but the VRM and NVMe temps dropped by about 3 - 4 C. I changed the case fan curve a bit, slightly more aggressive, but it doesnt seem to make any difference. As a final test, I might either add 2x 60 to the mainboard side, or a slim 120 or 92 mm fan underneath the PSU, just to see if there is any difference in temps.

My personal guess would be: No, at least not with the slim fan underneath the PSU. With the 60 mm fans, there might be a slight improvement of the mainboard components.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Also, looks like Louqe is back in business. Sadly, way too late for my purposes. I'm basically doing the same, but with an 8.1L case that weighs just 2.1 kg. And when I'm finished, its still going to be smaller than the Ghost S1 Mk III + large top hat.

cu, w0lf.