Prototype MT4-S - Compact and flexible 4 liter case

What finish would you prefer on this case?

• Bare brushed aluminum

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Black powder-coated

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Two-tone (black inner frame with silver exterior)

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Neat! I think the ZS-A4-DC had a similar layout for LP cards? Not sure if that's still available on Taobao though

Yes, the ZS-A4-DC is available here. I haven't seen any actual photos of version 2, though.

I also chose the layout since it does make the most sense for LP cards. The heavier power supply sits on the bottom, and for cards with a passive heatsink the hot air can flow up without restrictions.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The frame should be almost complete. Here's a teaser showing the top fan mount. I just need to countersink the screw holes.

I'm actually having a tougher time deciding which LP graphics card to buy. For a Hackintosh the RX 560 is the best you could do if you want to stay with the latest MacOS, but there's still better deals with Nvidia cards otherwise.

Reactions: smitty2k1

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Trying to follow up on Sliger to see if I can get the parts powder coated for the next run of prototypes. I've spoken to one of their engineers previously and they've been helpful in directing me to a supplier that was more affordable for cutting the parts.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I sent an order to create the inner frames for one of the slot-screw designs, for full-height graphics cards. If the design works out I would want to make at least 2 or 3 pre-production models which would later be sold.

Reactions: Jello and smitty2k1

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Here's a style update for the cases. After evaluating the 1.6mm aluminum side panels for the original prototype, I've decided that longer diagonal vents will probably work fine with this material. This panel design also uses a clean front panel with simple bends to avoid visible screws in the front. The power button has moved to the top and reduced from 16mm to 12mm diameter.

The cooler peeking through is the Alpehfohn Black Ridge (thanks to @AURMEND for uploading it), with the ventilation area showing how much of it would be exposed for intake air. And here is the case build with the panels removed.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Is there a 46 mm height to fit the RPS-400?

Currently at 43mm but that excludes the inner bottom panel which adds 2mm of height.
Is the 46mm height with some added screws? According to the datasheet the RPS-400-C with enclosure is 43mm tall.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Currently at 43mm but that excludes the inner bottom panel which adds 2mm of height.
Is the 46mm height with some added screws? According to the datasheet the RPS-400-C with enclosure is 43mm tall.

Ah you're right. Sweet. Should be a good fit. I would make sure it is able to be offset, so you can add a fan to the side.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
No guarantees for extra fan room but I'll see what I can do.

I decided to make the frames for at least 3 prototypes. The exterior designs are proving to be a bigger challenge for cost reasons, limited flexibility of vent patterns when you use laser cutting.

I'm considering an economical alternative for the side panels- how do you feel about mesh sheets for ventilation, as with the FormD T1 or original Velka M?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
No guarantees for extra fan room but I'll see what I can do.

I decided to make the frames for at least 3 prototypes. The exterior designs are proving to be a bigger challenge for cost reasons, limited flexibility of vent patterns when you use laser cutting.

I'm considering an economical alternative for the side panels- how do you feel about mesh sheets for ventilation, as with the FormD T1 or original Velka M?
Could be neat! Not knowing anything about manufacturing I'm surprised lazer cutting is that pricey. Could be something an early adopter would be interested in DIYing anyways

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Could be neat! Not knowing anything about manufacturing I'm surprised lazer cutting is that pricey. Could be something an early adopter would be interested in DIYing anyways
Laser cutting is great for all sorts of shapes, but part of the cost is lasering time and a lot of time is spent just burning through the material over and over again for the cutting hundreds of small holes. For those kinds of hole patterns, punching or drilling is more efficient.

Speaking of, the frames are being cut right now and I might get them over the weekend if I'm lucky. Also bought an old mini GPU that uses more power for thermals testing.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Here's a style update for the cases. After evaluating the 1.6mm aluminum side panels for the original prototype, I've decided that longer diagonal vents will probably work fine with this material. This panel design also uses a clean front panel with simple bends to avoid visible screws in the front. The power button has moved to the top and reduced from 16mm to 12mm diameter.
That looks fantastic imo

I'm looking forward to seeing a prototype in the new styling

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That looks fantastic imo

I'm looking forward to seeing a prototype in the new styling

Thanks for the kind words.
The panels may be altered slightly to be two separate pieces instead of three. The larger of the two would wrap around with the same number of bends to be one continuous piece on the GPU side.

A few benefits: A cleaner look on the GPU side, as you can expose both the front and side of the case by removing one panel instead of two for easy GPU installation.

Reactions: Arboreal

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the kind words.
The panels may be altered slightly to be two separate pieces instead of three. The larger of the two would wrap around with the same number of bends to be one continuous piece on the GPU side.

A few benefits: A cleaner look on the GPU side, as you can expose both the front and side of the case by removing one panel instead of two for easy GPU installation.

Clever, and the "left" side is usually the "show" side on most cases with glass windows so it would be the better one to not have the seam.

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That gave me another idea. Would you prefer a smaller vented acrylic panel in at least one of the sides to better view the hardware?

Not a full acrylic panel like Geeek's cases, but an acrylic window attached to the metal panel, like shown here:

Just imagine the clear window also has vents cut into it.

Pro: you can display your hardware a lot better, and laser cutting vents in an acrylic panel is cheaper than laser cut metal
Con: requires more time for case assembly (on my part)

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
My 2 cents, I don't think clear panels look as nice when ventilation is cut into them. The nicest one I can think of is done on Lazer3D HT5, but even still I think the ventilation looks better on the opaque acrylic used on the side

I guess I don't like seeing the ventilation cuts from inside the material? I don't know how to describe it but it makes the ventilation feel "busier"
I'm very curious to hear what others think.
I agree with you. I am not a big fan of acrylic windows anyway and when you add ventilation to them I think they look terrible.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Will take that into consideration. Think I will stick with all metal for now.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The first frame parts have arrived. Here's a picture showing most of them.

I had started assembling the pieces together with the screws and most of the pieces are a tight fit. Looks like the slots do interlock in the right places.