Concept MK2 - Aluminum Extrusion Case

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Hi all!

I am excited to share my new project. Meet Mk2. My goal is to create an affordable, elegant case that is easily modifiable by the end-user.
The enclosure’s frame is built around the 3mm thick aluminum front and rear panels, connected at each corner by a curved aluminum extrusion spanning the length of the case. All the other panels, except for the bottom, are attached via magnets, which reduces the number of visible fasteners. The extrusion’s t-slot profile makes it easy to install custom brackets for storage, fans, water-cooling components, etc.

After experimenting with several internal layouts, I ultimately decided upon an inverted tower with a front-mounted PSU. I found the thermals to be pretty good on my previous MK1 case, which also used an inverted tower layout. This layout also has ample room at the bottom to mount 2.5” or 3.5” drives.
I will continually update this post with new information as the project progresses. Currently, my focus is on getting a few prototype units for testing. Here are some renders!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Great work! What CAD software are you using for the renders? They look amazing.

Just a piece of advise... Unless you are going all in with tooling production, this case will be very expensive to produce. Even with tooling you will end up with something like 200 to 300 USD cause you also have to consider the ROI of the tools which are not that cheap.

If you want to offer some affordable version, maybe you could consider to make it from laser cut acrylic plus extruded aluminum profiles to hold everything together. This could bring the price down to something like 125 +/- 25 USD for volume production.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Loving the case design. It kind of reminds me of Hexgear cases, which is another botique producer that made cased for water cooled builds, obviously larger, but they also use curved extrusions for their design. I had wondered if anyone else had attempted such designs so I'm very pleased to see this.

I think taking advantage of the extrusion rails so you can slide around brackets to do custom part layouts like the DA2 case.

Will the side panels also be aluminum, because that might be a problem with magnets to join them. Aluminum alloys usually aren't magnetic.

Great work! What CAD software are you using for the renders? They look amazing.

Just a piece of advise... Unless you are going all in with tooling production, this case will be very expensive to produce. Even with tooling you will end up with something like 200 to 300 USD cause you also have to consider the ROI of the tools which are not that cheap.

If you want to offer some affordable version, maybe you could consider to make it from laser cut acrylic plus extruded aluminum profiles to hold everything together. This could bring the price down to something like 125 +/- 25 USD for volume production.

Actually, that might not be a problem at all if you are using a metal fabricator that can accept instant orders. If you are referring to the costs of making the extrusions, these look to be standard 2020 quarter round extrusions that you can pick up in pre-cut lengths.

Reactions: Colinreay

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Actually, that might not be a problem at all. If you are referring to the costs of making the extrusions, these look to be standard 2020 quarter round extrusions that you can pick up in pre-cut lengths.

The extrusion is not making it expensive. All the other parts are, given they are made from Aluminum. Anyways, just sharing my experience and giving some advise. Let's see how it turns out. Maybe the quality and price of CNC machined / laser cut metal parts is better in the US. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Colinreay

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Depends on what shops you have access too, I guess. I'm making a few metal cases myself (not this big, though) from an online shop and they have very low price minimums for cutting metal. Makes me wish I had discovered them for use in my past projects ?

Supposing you laser cut everything, the top and side panels would most easily take up the majority of the cost. Two ways to get around is, scale production to larger volumes, or switch to an alternative method of venting like fewer, larger holes with fine mesh covering that is cheaper. Second option will be very dependent on your target visual style as it's sometimes a balance of sacrificing cost or design language.

Last edited:

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
The extrusion is not making it expensive. All the other parts are, given they are made from Aluminum. Anyways, just sharing my experience and giving some advise. Let's see how it turns out. Maybe the quality and price of CNC machined / laser cut metal parts is better in the US. ?

Thank you for the advice, Till! I am using Fusion 360 for the renders. I appreciate your insight into the potential problems with cutting 3mm aluminum - I was definitely not aware of that. I'll need to do some more research.

An acrylic version would be a great, lower-cost option without having to change any of the major design elements. However, I would really like to offer an aluminum version as well (at a higher price). It's difficult to estimate the cost of the case right now, but I think ~$80-90 for the acrylic option and ~$110-120 for the aluminum version would be reasonable targets. All of the panels can be flat packed, which saves a ton on overseas shipping (for my last acrylic case, shipping was almost as expensive as the material + cutting).

Loving the case design. It kind of reminds me of Hexgear cases, which is another botique producer that made cased for water cooled builds, obviously larger, but they also use curved extrusions for their design. I had wondered if anyone else had attempted such designs so I'm very pleased to see this.

I think taking advantage of the extrusion rails so you can slide around brackets to do custom part layouts like the DA2 case.

Will the side panels also be aluminum, because that might be a problem with magnets to join them. Aluminum alloys usually aren't magnetic.

Actually, that might not be a problem at all if you are using a metal fabricator that can accept instant orders. If you are referring to the costs of making the extrusions, these look to be standard 2020 quarter round extrusions that you can pick up in pre-cut lengths.

Thanks, CC Ricers! I forgot how cool those Hexgear cases were. Making the aluminum extrusion a structural + aesthetic element makes total sense in my mind.

Good catch on the side panels - I plan on gluing magnets onto the panels with some industrial adhesive. I'll probably 3D print an alignment jig to accurately position the magnets. Going this route will also allow people to use different materials for the panels.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Are you happy with the quality? I have tried laser cutting as well. It works fine for <=1.5mm aluminum but for the thicker parts I was not really happy with the quality. Lots of burning marks and burr which I had to remove. Also the tolerances of the thread holes was terrible.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
hank you for the advice, Till! I am using Fusion 360 for the renders. I appreciate your insight into the potential problems with cutting 3mm aluminum - I was definitely not aware of that. I'll need to do some more research.

An acrylic version would be a great, lower-cost option without having to change any of the major design elements. However, I would really like to offer an aluminum version as well (at a higher price). It's difficult to estimate the cost of the case right now, but I think ~$80-90 for the acrylic option and ~$110-120 for the aluminum version would be reasonable targets. All of the panels can be flat packed, which saves a ton on overseas shipping (for my last acrylic case, shipping was almost as expensive as the material + cutting).

Cool.

I think the cost for the acrylic version looks achievable. Add a little profit for your work and shipping and you are close to my estimate.

For the Aluminum Version maybe CC Ricers could share his supplier details with you. Looks they offer good prices for machining.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Are you happy with the quality? I have tried laser cutting as well. It works fine for <=1.5mm aluminum but for the thicker parts I was not really happy with the quality. Lots of burning marks and burr which I had to remove. Also the tolerances of the thread holes was terrible.

Hmm, that's interesting. I have mainly purchased laser cut parts in 2mm to 3mm and have been mostly satisfied with them. They're not super-refined (no paint or anodizing) but the touch-up work they did is good enough for their needs. By default, the shop de-burrs all the parts and so I receive them with fewer sharp edges. I may just have to go filing some of them. I also don't thread holes with them- all the screw holes I cut are pass-through and I use a fastening system that doesn't need the threads to secure the sheets directly.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hmm, that's interesting. I have mainly purchased laser cut parts in 2mm to 3mm and have been mostly satisfied with them. They're not super-refined (no paint or anodizing) but the touch-up work they did is good enough for their needs. By default, the shop de-burrs all the parts and so I receive them with fewer sharp edges. I may just have to go filing some of them. I also don't thread holes with them- all the screw holes I cut are pass-through and I use a fastening system that doesn't need the threads to secure the sheets directly.

Here some examples how my parts turned out. Laser vs. CNC machining. 4mm Aluminum and 2mm Aluminum.

I prefer the more expensive CNC machined parts, but maybe I'm just too over-sensitive in terms of quality.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Here some examples how my parts turned out. Laser vs. CNC machining. 4mm Aluminum and 2mm Aluminum.

I prefer the more expensive CNC machined parts, but maybe I'm just too over-sensitive in terms of quality.

I would avoid laser cutting aluminum above 2mm. It's a difficult material to cut.

Also, if you see some burrs it means the shop is just a cut shop, no clean up, post processing. Holes for threading should be dead accurate though, might get a bit of a kerf but otherwise shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't had 2 mm cuts yet, but 1.5/1.6 mm has been great and clean in my experience.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I didn't know these rounded extrusions existed. Looks like a great mix between functionality and looks! Are these magnet inserts for the extrusions custom designs?

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016

I finally decided to go with the more expensive CNC machined parts, but maybe I'm just too over-sensitive in terms of quality.

I would avoid laser cutting aluminum above 2mm. It's a difficult material to cut.

Also, if you see some burrs it means the shop is just a cut shop, no clean up, post processing. Holes for threading should be dead accurate though, might get a bit of a kerf but otherwise shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't had 2 mm cuts yet, but 1.5/1.6 mm has been great and clean in my experience.

Thank you both! You just saved me a lot of frustration and money.

This looks like raijintek metis. The design and layout are so similar. What's your dimensions?

Yeah, the Metis and my design definitely share the inverted tower layout with rounded edges. Hopefully, some of my design choices make the case unique! The overall dimensions are 281x170x254 (or about 12.1L).

I didn't know these rounded extrusions existed. Looks like a great mix between functionality and looks! Are these magnet inserts for the extrusions custom designs?

I'm a huge fan of these rounded extrusions! The magnet inserts are my design; however, the inserts are just a block with a locating tab, a few screw holes, and a recess for the magnet. Should be pretty straightforward to machine or 3D print. I plan to upload all the files to the resource section in the future.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Those are some really bad burns. Quite interesting to see others had bad results with laser cutting metal that deep, but most of my pieces have been 2mm to 3mm and the cuts always came out fine. Also, they are slot-fit pieces so tolerances had to be very good.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
Those are some really bad burns. Quite interesting to see others had bad results with laser cutting metal that deep, but most of my pieces have been 2mm to 3mm and the cuts always came out fine. Also, they are slot-fit pieces so tolerances had to be very good.
I also had some 2mm Alu cut that arrived a week ago. I dont have the burning that you show. Although a coupole of the holes were not perfect, but I could deal with that (i just drilled some out a little bit :) )

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
Hey Colin. Found your smaller version on r/mechanical keyboards and have to say that one is much better. The bigger project here is basically a more expensive metis, no offense. But THAT, that is unique... You should share it here if not done yet...