Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
Hi guys,

I have finished my Mjolnir build. Here is what I found out.

Ordered:

Mjolnir stealth
RGB strip
Booster Cell
Borg
extra O2 panel
(optional) Mjolnir custom cables

Built-in:

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B550i
M2: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16Gb 3600Mhz CL16 (black)
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5800x
CPU cooler: Thermalright AXP90-X47 full copper with Noctua 9x14 fan (not yet chromax black)
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair SF750
GPU: AMD RX6800 Founders Edition
FAN: 1x Noctua Nfa12x25, 2x Noctua Nfa12x15 (all chromax black)

Packing:

All the parts arrived really well packed in 2 boxes. The small box contains the Borg (even though Booster Cell is written on it).
the large box contains the rest of the order. Since the Booster Cell box was in the case on top of the installed O2 panel, it was unfortunately damaged. Everything else has arrived without damage.

Unpacking:

Setup:

I started by installing my old AIO (ml120l), but since I am oldschool and prefer failsafe air coolers, I switched to the AXP90. Also i have less cables and tubes with this setting.
The full copper variant, since the 5800x is known as a small hothead. couldnt find the full black version :( yet

Overall you can say that all the big parts can be installed well...until the first cables are added. With the original psu cables it is certainly no fun to find a way to perfect cable management.
I luckily bought custom cables, but since they are to be installed exclusively for the flipped psu variant, I haven't tried the normal psu alignment yet.
The manual is good but also not always helpful, so far alex or other owners of the mjolnir could always help me.

What is in any case very important here for all with a Borg: INSTALL IT FIRST!!!
I made the mistake to install all parts in the unmodified Mjolnir first and had to remove some parts to loosen screws for example.
After removing the GPU, AIO fan, PSU socket cable and RGB strips I was able to do everything. too bad that no rubber feet or the like were attached to the Borg. I have a glass table and i believe i have scratched it.
In fact, I must say that the normal variant without Borg and Booster Cell is the most beautiful to look at, at least for me. But you have more space with Borg on the desk and a bit more cooling ability with the booster cell.

What is a pity is that all the screws are not magnetic. I tried several screwdrivers, none of them held even one screw, which made the installation a bit annoying.
Many screws are only usable with a hexagonal key, unfortunately none was included, luckily I have a suitable one, because this must be really small.
There is no manual for the Borg, but you can get by without one if you must.

The Booster Cell is also relatively easy to install. For the fan I do not need an extension or the like, the existing cables were exactly long enough. unfortunately, I had to cut off the white cap at the connection, because it did not fit the fan cable.
What I do not quite like is that not the entire fan can blow through the grid. the outer 2 cm (of a 120mm fan) are given away, just here is the most airflow and not in the middle.
you could pull out a lot more air with a larger mesh.

To make sure the booster cell is level with the case, you have to keep some tension on the mounts. Alex has made a video for this:

All in all, you have to try a bit and take a break when you get stuck. In the end, however, you no longer have any problems.

The chassis is carefully slipped over it. Really careful! especially around the area of the riser, here I tore off some of the rubber layer, because the aluminum of the housing is really sharp.

If everything was wired correctly the pc also turns on and you can get into the bios...yea not really. at least that way I can't set anything on mine. needed to unplug the gpu and mainboard to change bios settings.

I was fortunately able to set the fan curves and RGB lighting via the Asus Ai Suite. The Ryzen Master takes care of the CPU.
It's still not optimal, because you need to connect the graphics cards without riser to set everything you like in the bios.
The riser also makes a bad coil whine. I use the gpu with an undervolt from igorslab, which helped me getting rid of the normal coil whine. But hell the riser now makes noise.

RGB wise I decided to go with a chimney look. When you see some heat rising from the top, the red/orange flickering just fits well.
the rgb strips can unfortunately only be mounted on the side without fans. all cables, the psu and gpu block the light here, so you have to decide sometimes
whether you have a little better airflow or a little better illumination. perfect would have been that you can still see the light on the side of the fans, for example.
What concerns me a lot is how long the rgb strips will last because they get really hot heat blown in their face, thats from the aircooler, aio will not make this problem. If i touch the area the heat gets blown at the case gets really warm on the outside, so the rbg strips on the inside must be quite hot.

The side panels are easy to install. I have only 2 magnets that have fallen off, one from the glass window and one from the top performance panel.
since i have two o2 panels i thought that wouldn't be a problem. i thought. the cables from the psu when flipped fit very well with the top performance panel,
unfortunately, the o2 panel does not have a cutout for minimal more space, so it does not fit. the psu cables i could not press smaller so far.

If the system is runnig the lowest chassis fan next to the motherboard pulls out the most heat. next is the booster cell and last is the larger fan next to psu.
will try if i even need this fan cause it really just pulls out cold air. the booster cell fan pulls out a bit hotter. the psu fan went on the first time ever since i bought it during the benchmark. the system did pull 350 watts at this time.

so what stood out (at least for me):

no magnetic screws
bios does not work with riser
riser has coil whine
no borg manual
lots of trial and error (not necessarily bad)
aio hoses are extremely bent
chassis can damage riser cables
booster cell fan cutout could be bigger
booster cell fan connector needs to get cut to size
o2 panel damaged if you bought the booster cell
second 02 panel doesnt fit with flipped psu
rgb does not shine completely through the housing
no rubber under borg
120Hz max with the riser
rgb strips get hot when used with aircooler

But in the end the case looks totally awesome, feels high quality and uses little space, that's why you bought it.

here are my temps and settings:

2x Noctua nfa12x15 connected via y-cable: set to 950 rpm all the time
1x Noctua nfa12x25: set to 1100rpm all the time
1x noctua 9x14: Min 950rpm up to 2500rpm
gpu: zero fan mode below 50C up to 2500rpm
vrm fan is off cause its annoying

Average idle and office work after 3h:

CPU: 48C 40Watt
GPU: 47C 16 Watt
M2: 38C
Chipset: 55C

Noise is fine here.

Average Gaming:

CPU: 63.1C
CPU Fan: 1408rpm
GPU: 72.9C
GPU Fan: 1385rpm
M2: 53C
Chipset: 64.8C

Im playing with a headset so i dont care about noise but those rpm above 1500 arent quiet.
I wasnt able so set 144Hz for the monitor. got errors like in bios. 120Hz is max with this riser. also pcie 3.0 as some games are crashing.

Benchmark:

3DMark TimeSpy

Stock: 15249 points
Stock CPU: 11218 points, 73,5C max, 2459rpm max
Stock GPU: 16282 points, 69C hotspot max, 2483rpm max
Chipset: 51C max
M2: 40C max

Tuned 1: 15470
EcoMode CPU: 10375 points, 69,6C max 1490rpm max
Tuned GPU: 16939 points, 81C hotspot max, 1509rpm max
Chipset: 60C max
M2: 48C max

Gpu is set to 2370Mhz and 930mv with custom fan curve.

Tuned 2: 15621
Tuned CPU: 10872, 79C, 1746rpm
Tuned GPU: 16926, 81C, 1510rpm
Chipset: 60C
M2: 48C

changed ppt/tdc/edc after tests

Final Tuning: 15669
CPU: 11024, 74,8C, 1674rpm
GPU: 16929, 82C, 1518rpm
Chipset: 62C
M2: 49C

used curve optimizer

Ambient: 20C

Cinebench R23

SC Stock: 1550 points
MC Stock: 13715 points

SC Final: 1547 (61,4C)
MC Final: 14380 (87,6C)

Can get higher scores with aio or higher fan rpm but this is working fine for me. Thought this small aircooler would get to 90C and throttling. Awesome.

I'm totally okay with it. There may be some guys who will need lower rpm or temp but as always it depends on you.

cable management isnt fully done yet. i also want a chromax black cpu fan some day.

Last edited:

gorecheese

Efficiency Noob
Mar 7, 2022
Will there be any Borg and Booster Cells in Steel color available after the pre-orders are shipped out? I missed the last sign up. Thanks!

cakePlease

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2017
There were some talks a few pages up regarding the PCI-E riser not supporting Gen4 properly. I was able to run 3dMark and consistent get above a 26 score--which is desirable. Not sure what everyone else's experience is like, but this looks like the PCI riser coming from Alex is good

oiz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 10, 2023
Hallo,

i got some questions regarding the thermal on this case.
This is my second pc build and have little knowledge about pc. Hope you can understand.

So currently i'm using ryzen 7 7700x, noctua nh l9a am5 as a cooler and motherboard asus b650e-i.

At the beginning i knew that this cpu should be really hot. So i planned to use eco mode on this cpu. But unfortunately i couldn't find it in ryzen master or even in advance setting BIOS.

So i decided to use PBO, as people recomended.

This is the setting i used:

PBO Curve Optimization: -30
PPT: 65000mW
TDC: 75000mA
EDC: 150000mA
Thermal limit: 85°C

It seems getting better than the beginning. The temperature drops from 65°C to 54°C on idle.

I also did a stress test using prime95 for 30 minutes and no crash. The temperature stayed at 80°C, but i'm only getting a 4.5Ghz all cores average, really low.

But the real problem for me is the sound on idle. It is very loud.

Right now i'm willing to swap the cpu to 7600 or 7700.

Should i get 7600 or 7700 or maybe you have suggestion to make me keep the 7700x?

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
Hallo,

i got some questions regarding the thermal on this case.
This is my second pc build and have little knowledge about pc. Hope you can understand.

So currently i'm using ryzen 7 7700x, noctua nh l9a am5 as a cooler and motherboard asus b650e-i.

At the beginning i knew that this cpu should be really hot. So i planned to use eco mode on this cpu. But unfortunately i couldn't find it in ryzen master or even in advance setting BIOS.

So i decided to use PBO, as people recomended.

This is the setting i used:

PBO Curve Optimization: -30
PPT: 65000mW
TDC: 75000mA
EDC: 150000mA
Thermal limit: 85°C

It seems getting better than the beginning. The temperature drops from 65°C to 54°C on idle.

I also did a stress test using prime95 for 30 minutes and no crash. The temperature stayed at 80°C, but i'm only getting a 4.5Ghz all cores average, really low.

But the real problem for me is the sound on idle. It is very loud.

Right now i'm willing to swap the cpu to 7600 or 7700.

Should i get 7600 or 7700 or maybe you have suggestion to make me keep the 7700x?
Hey,

do you have your own fan curves? You can set it to a lower rpm while idling f.e. cpus are ok with these temps.
Maybe the 65w ppt is set to low so the cpu wont use it.
post #5 has a picture where you can see the settings.
Did you update your bios? Maybe yours is too old

Reactions: oiz

oiz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 10, 2023
Hey,

do you have your own fan curves? You can set it to a lower rpm while idling f.e. cpus are ok with these temps.
Maybe the 65w ppt is set to low so the cpu wont use it.
post #5 has a picture where you can see the settings.
Did you update your bios? Maybe yours is too old

I've never touched the fan curves. But i changed the over motherboard Fan setting to pwm, because i put the fan into aio pump header.

I also tried the 88w ppt, but the temperature was going up to 60°C.

Before i installed windows, i already updated the BIOS to the latest.

So do you think that i should keep the 7700x?

Right now i cannot do any changes on the fan curves, because i need to return my thermaltake psu. It has coil whine.

Thanks for the answer.

PoneG

Average Stuffer
Jun 10, 2022
I've never touched the fan curves. But i changed the over motherboard Fan setting to pwm, because i put the fan into aio pump header.

Right now i cannot do any changes on the fan curves, because i need to return my thermaltake psu. It has coil whine.

Thanks for the answer.
i have never used the newer amd cpus before so i cant tell about them but 65w ppt sounds kind of low for me. 5600x even has a higher ppt.
the easiest thing is to try to set your own fan curve here. next may be looking for a little stronger cpu cooler but as the temps are ok with the l9a i personally wouldnt do that.
my noctua 9x14 from the l9a i own gets louder above 1400 rpm so i changed the idle rpm lower that it´s not annyong for office work. no science here. just give it a try =)
wouldnt sell the 7700x.
there is also the option to undervolt or use the curve optimizer but im not familiar with the 7000 cpus.

Last edited:
Reactions: oiz

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

Thanks for the answer.

7700 is the same thing as 7700x at 65w eco mode (88w ppt max)

Set it to 88w, and adjust the fan curve aggressively.

Reactions: oiz and PoneG

oiz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 10, 2023
i have never used the newer amd cpus before so i cant tell about them but 65w ppt sounds kind of low for me. 5600x even has a higher ppt.
the easiest thing is to try to set your own fan curve here. next may be looking for a little stronger cpu cooler but as the temps are ok with the l9a i personally wouldnt do that.
my noctua 9x14 from the l9a i own gets louder above 1400 rpm so i changed the idle rpm lower that it´s not annyong for office work. no science here. just give it a try =)
wouldnt sell the 7700x.
there is also the option to undervolt or use the curve optimizer but im not familiar with the 7000 cpus.
Already got the new psu cooler master v850 and it turns out, that the thermaltake psu is the culprit, which causes really loud noises.
Not only it has coil whine, it has also bad fan curve. For everyone who thinks to buy this psu, please avoid it.
As you recommended, i did some changes on the fan curve too and my pc became quieter right now.
And i also put the fan duct NA-FD1 at the fan and it helps too to make the cpu even cooler, but only for heavy load scenario.
I tested my pc by playing AC Odyssey. Without duct it reached 77-81°C and right now with duct the temperature is around 66-68°C.
Now in idle the temperature stays at 52-53°C and in light work around 55-60°C
So thank you so much for your reminding to use the curve optimizer.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Any news on replacement parts? Have they been shipped yet?

Not shipped yet, next shipment will contain ALL remaining orders as well as ALL replacement parts :)

It took longer than expected for us with the current shipment because it consisted mostly of the most complicated orders we've had to date, so took a while to ensure the packaging team understood everything correctly. The last shipment (including yours) is even more complex, but it should be easier because we've learned the process of shipping more complex stuff in the current shipment.

Last edited: