• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Ooof, December/January is kinda a sh*tty time to ship out products because many people may be away from their delivery addresses (I guess less so this year ala Corona, but still). This caused big chaos for many in the PD Tripod Kickstarter with packages being sent back to mystery land as the people weren't able to collect the package from the DPD/DHL depot within a 1~2 weeks (country dependent) of delivery.

Did they solve it somehow? *Learning point*

Reactions: wolfatpno

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Speaking of shipping. Alex my friend, can you let me know if you got my message on Kickstarter with my updated address? If it can't be updated, it's not a big deal. It would just make things a little easier.

Ooof, December/January is kinda a sh*tty time to ship out products because many people may be away from their delivery addresses (I guess less so this year ala Corona, but still). This caused big chaos for many in the PD Tripod Kickstarter with packages being sent back to mystery land as the people weren't able to collect the package from the DPD/DHL depot within a 1~2 weeks (country dependent) of delivery.
Depending on how long they take to get here from the factories (and here being relative), we may be looking at hopefully early December. Preferably maybe a week or two before the holiday.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
"not really" would be the honest answer. There was kind of an underhanded trick within their Kickstarter that I took advantage of.

So PD had this thing that they were sending out products in batches/waves (in no particular order), so not all products were being shipped out in the same week (this caused its own "outcry" as some people thought US orders were being prioritized over Asia, for example, but that's another story all together). The shipping address was tied to Backerkit (the 3rd party survey organizer thing), and only when all the address fields were correctly filled out, your order would be considered to be part of an upcoming wave/batch.

So for example, I knew I would be in Japan for over a month during Christmas/New Year, and so I had this interest in delaying my package. I could do this (upon communicating with the PD team), that by unfilling my address, they would be able to "hold" the shipping of my order (since their system wouldn't know where to send it to). They did say that they really didn't want to do this because it was a logisitical nightmare if many people suddenly turned address-less, but ultimately they preferred that over lost packages.

So this was what those who deliberately wanted to delay the dispatchment could do, and I think those who did it were able to at least know that they were back in their home address before the parcel was dispatched (or you could fill the address a week before returning to close the gap).

Those who didn't plan like this, and who missed their parcel, ended up having to go back and forth with the PD team, who presumably had to do a back and forth with the dispatch center and the courier. The default behavior for DHL iirc is unclaimed packages get sent back to the sender, so I guess somebody had to pay the courier twice.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
I would suspect as intake, to feed the GPU directly. Then maybe the rear fan can work the duty of exhausting air out the rear of the case through the GPU slot as intended.

YdderMkIV

Chassis Packer
Mar 10, 2020
Quick update guys! Just got the lead times from the main factory (CNC, Extrusions, Sheet metal): 1-month for mould creation and 1.5-2 months of production (and assembly). Longer than expected, but this factory is super strict with regards to finishing and quality. The end results will be worth it. We'll have some CE and FCC certification units ready approx. 2 weeks after the moulds are finished (basically finished units), can't wait to share those pics.

Everything else takes no more than 14-25 days (fasteners, electronics, etc) to complete.

So likely we'll see delivery times before the end of the year, if all goes according. I'm excited!

Mould creation and actual fabricaton times stack right? So we are looking at 1 month for mould creation + 2 months production + 1 month (pessimistically) for electronics/fasteners = 4 months. Thats the 2nd week of January unless I have the timelines wrong? (which I hope I do)

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Speaking of shipping. Alex my friend, can you let me know if you got my message on Kickstarter with my updated address? If it can't be updated, it's not a big deal. It would just make things a little easier.

Depending on how long they take to get here from the factories (and here being relative), we may be looking at hopefully early December. Preferably maybe a week or two before the holiday.

Absolutely, I'll update your address :) Just sorting some production stuff out, then I'll get to it asap!

One thing you could do is confirm addresses before shipping. That'd give folks a chance to update their address if needed.

This is a very good idea, will do it! :)

Mould creation and actual fabricaton times stack right? So we are looking at 1 month for mould creation + 2 months production + 1 month (pessimistically) for electronics/fasteners = 4 months. Thats the 2nd week of January unless I have the timelines wrong? (which I hope I do)

It's a bit better than that, 1 month for moulds (meanwhile we fix all non-mould parts at the same time: CNC, fastners, electronics, etc) and then 2 months production and assembly :)

It's the outer shell that takes up most time, both with regards to its mould as well as CNC and finishing.

Last edited:

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
So it looks like there is a chance we may get RTX 3090 compatibility for those interested in it for the case.

Gigabyte is supposedly releasing a blower styled 3090, that is roughly ~267mm long, 112mm tall, and 39mm thick.

EDIT: Also, apparently for those of us that like quality, the entire metal shroud on the exterior of Gigabyte's RTX 3090 TURBO 24G is metal as well, and helps with cooling. According to outervision's PSU calculator, my 600W PSU would be sufficient with my other components to run this car. That's a very tempting thing. I've added the link to Gigabyte's page, as well, with some pictures.

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I would definitely not trust Gigabyte’s blower cards. We compared 12 Gigabyte 2080 ‘Tis with 8 Asus 2080Tis both turbo design, and the Gigabyte Turbo was substantially louder AND hotter AND slower than the Asus ones. At this time we thought that “all blowers are about the same, so brand doesn’t matter” but this was definitely not the case, it’s just a shame that comparative coverage is non existent since the market is so small for blowers.

Since there is almost no market for blower design, I do not anticipate Gigabyte to have improved upon their attitude from the last generation. I think from rumours Asus seem to be also planning blowers so I would definitely wait for those.

So it looks like there is a chance we may get RTX 3090 compatibility for those interested in it for the case.

Gigabyte is supposedly releasing a blower styled 3090, that is roughly ~267mm long, 112mm tall, and 39mm thick.

EDIT: Also, apparently for those of us that like quality, the entire metal shroud on the exterior of Gigabyte's RTX 3090 TURBO 24G is metal as well, and helps with cooling. According to outervision's PSU calculator, my 600W PSU would be sufficient with my other components to run this car. That's a very tempting thing. I've added the link to Gigabyte's page, as well, with some pictures.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Damn! Really nice to see some 3090's that fit MJOLNIR ? The factory estimates 60 days to finish the first cases for testing and certification, hopefully I can get my hands on one of those new cards and test the new performance panels.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
I would definitely not trust Gigabyte’s blower cards. We compared 12 Gigabyte 2080 ‘Tis with 8 Asus 2080Tis both turbo design, and the Gigabyte Turbo was substantially louder AND hotter AND slower than the Asus ones. At this time we thought that “all blowers are about the same, so brand doesn’t matter” but this was definitely not the case, it’s just a shame that comparative coverage is non existent since the market is so small for blowers.

Since there is almost no market for blower design, I do not anticipate Gigabyte to have improved upon their attitude from the last generation. I think from rumours Asus seem to be also planning blowers so I would definitely wait for those.
I'd wait for someone to post a review first honestly. Looking at those older 2080 Ti's on gigabytes page I've noticed two things that might effect cooling.

1. It looks like their old 2080 Ti Turbo used a copper plate to an aluminum fin array? That would definitely negatively effect cooling. It looks like their plans for a 3090 Turbo use a full copper heatsink.

2. It looks like the design of the 2080 Ti Turbo also had a plastic shroud, but this time they're going with a metal frame to help dissipate heat. I'll wait to see how it performs of course.

I honestly will probably stick with my 2080 (even though it's now very out dated before I've even had a chance to really use it) simply because I have it. Though driving 5,120 x 1,440 might be difficult for it. While blower style GPU's are always significantly louder, it's important to remember how small the Mjolnir is. Even with a sandwich lay out, the possibility of heat soak or heat bleed-over between the chambers is very possible. A blower style GPU may help prevent that.

The 20x0 line is still my favorite looking card at the moment, so I'm not entirely disappointed in being a little bit slower. It'll also be easier on my system's PSU. As I said, I think I can marginally get away with a 3090. If I keep all my clocks stock and/or considering undervolting a bit. But a 3080 would likely be fine.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
I can't quite seem to find the power requirements for what the CPU I plan to use will be for it's PL1 and PL2 limit states are. In normal use, it's only a 65W TDP design. But as we all know that's not the full story. Outervisions calculator seems to say that, again everything stock clock and not unver-volted, I'd be using around 550-575W of power at full load. I think I'd need an upgrade to actually use a 3090 though, and it might dump more heat into the system than I want anyways given I'm going all air.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I'd wait for someone to post a review first honestly. Looking at those older 2080 Ti's on gigabytes page I've noticed two things that might effect cooling.

1. It looks like their old 2080 Ti Turbo used a copper plate to an aluminum fin array? That would definitely negatively effect cooling. It looks like their plans for a 3090 Turbo use a full copper heatsink.

2. It looks like the design of the 2080 Ti Turbo also had a plastic shroud, but this time they're going with a metal frame to help dissipate heat. I'll wait to see how it performs of course.

I honestly will probably stick with my 2080 (even though it's now very out dated before I've even had a chance to really use it) simply because I have it. Though driving 5,120 x 1,440 might be difficult for it. While blower style GPU's are always significantly louder, it's important to remember how small the Mjolnir is. Even with a sandwich lay out, the possibility of heat soak or heat bleed-over between the chambers is very possible. A blower style GPU may help prevent that.

The 20x0 line is still my favorite looking card at the moment, so I'm not entirely disappointed in being a little bit slower. It'll also be easier on my system's PSU. As I said, I think I can marginally get away with a 3090. If I keep all my clocks stock and/or considering undervolting a bit. But a 3080 would likely be fine.

I'm happy to hear that you are optimistic, so lets hope that you are more right than me. Full copper or aluminium, a blower card will be a blower card, a metal shroud will do next to nothing in mjolnir (or any other case to be honest) since it is such a small surface area anyway and there isn't really any meaningful airflow anyway. Just think of metal back plates, sure they heat up and spread the heat, but its not like the components are any cooler when compared to them removed.

Gigabyte has bigger problems on their vBIOS side as clearly something on the power management side of things were not great for the 2080 Tis, that was the only explanation behind the cards being hotter, louder, and slower with the exception of bad assembly, but since we sampled 12 cards which all behaved the same, we are in a unique situation to rule that one out. If the factory quality is just lower, you shouldn't be considering them anyway.

Ovni

Trash Compacter
Jan 3, 2020
After reading all above, see Ali video on PSU's & 3080's, I feel I'm a really strange person.
I've got a 450watt platium corsair. Running a 7 3700x, one 1TB nvme and 2x 8gb vlp memory. Just to get the energy use low.
At this moment there is a radeon pro wx that just absorbs 35 watts. I haven't had the system absorbing from the wall above 145 watts.

The 450 corsair runs at about 60% of the watts at an optimum efficiency of 93%.
So no it runs at 91%. Without loss that makes apr. 132 watts real use. (.91x145) . The system without GPU takes 132-35= 97watts p.h. max.

At optimum use the corsair delivers 450x 0.6 (93% efficency) =270 watts.

So I need a GPU that uses as an average 173 watt. (The old radeon slows down the work in progress to much)

When rendering the cpu stays at a few percent for each core, the gpu is for a certain time at 100%.

So I need a 3070 with lots of vram for optimum use?

(The gpu doesn't work hard when working on files, the rendering is only in the final stage)

uber_shnitz

Average Stuffer
Oct 14, 2019
I feel like the 3090 is a bit overkill for an SFF. Preliminary benchmark reviews also put it at marginally better than the 3080, but certainly not justifying its much higher price tag + the potentially higher heat and power constraints the card comes with. I'd much rather have a benchmark with some 3080s if you were going to do a thermal test.

From Nvidia themselves:
"For 4K gaming, the GeForce RTX 3090 is about 10-15% faster on average than the GeForce RTX 3080, and up to 50% faster than the TITAN RTX."

Last edited: