• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Mid May according to Alex. Only he didn't say which year.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL ? We've set up the kickstarter-backers side of things (ordering the Booster Cell), as well as the UI for new backers. The only thing left is to integrate Shopify into the web store, shouldn't take more than a day or two. Then a couple of pics and it's ready!

Paul_the_Octopus

Trash Compacter
Apr 17, 2020
Anyone knows if "stealth" is just plain black, or a dark gray ? I'm asking because in thorzone site, it seems dark gray, but in every prototype i've seem in youtube, it's just black.
So i dont really trust the colors in thorzone's site. Where can i get a real feel for the colors ?
?

Reactions: AlexTzone

grandmasterub

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 27, 2020
Anyone knows if "stealth" is just plain black, or a dark gray ? I'm asking because in thorzone site, it seems dark gray, but in every prototype i've seem in youtube, it's just black.
So i dont really trust the colors in thorzone's site. Where can i get a real feel for the colors ?
?

The kickstarter page gives a pretty good representation of the coloration in my opinion.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
?

Perhaps this can help, it's a simplified version of what we specify to the anodizers :)

Stealth = Satin Black
Dark = Sating Gray
Steel = Sating natural aluminium color

Reactions: Paul_the_Octopus

Paul_the_Octopus

Trash Compacter
Apr 17, 2020
Thanks @Alex @grandmasterub !
Lastly, i have another question regarding the R version with the controller. Where is the controller located ? Does it just hang inside mjolnir ? Is it tiny ? Fixed with screws ?
And, with the non controller version with rgb, i can still control the rgb via my motherboard software or something right (dont really care about controlling with my phone). Thanks !

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Lastly, i have another question regarding the R version with the controller. Where is the controller located ? Does it just hang inside mjolnir ? Is it tiny ? Fixed with screws ?
And, with the non controller version with rgb, i can still control the rgb via my motherboard software or something right (dont really care about controlling with my phone). Thanks !
They have some videos on their channel on YouTube where they show the RGB controller. It's small, but looks bigger than it is in such a small case.

I believe if you don't have the controller but have the RGB strips, the strips use the four-pin 5V D-RGB design. So you would need a motherboard with that header.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

They have some videos on their channel on YouTube where they show the RGB controller. It's small, but looks bigger than it is in such a small case.

I believe if you don't have the controller but have the RGB strips, the strips use the four-pin 5V D-RGB design. So you would need a motherboard with that header.

Each MJOLNIR R will contain:
  • 2 x rigid RGB strips
  • 2 x cables for connecting the strips to your motherboards 5v digital RGB header (3-pin & 4-pin "dupont")
  • 1 x strip-to-strip cable
  • 1 x strip-to-controller cable
  • 1 x controller-to-PSU cable
So you'll easily be able to hook up the strips directly to your PC, and skip the phone/controller :) Speaking of the controller, it's roughly 4 x 1 x 1 cm, so you can put it pretty much anywhere.

danny.nguyen

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
@AlexTzone

Please check your inbox as there is someone who wanted to buy my case, as I have Alienware gaming laptop - I got trade in (Macbook Pro) so it is shame that I have to let go of it since I liked Alienware laptop.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Are we mere hours away from the next drop? I can feel it in my bones (and my wallet eep)

I check this forum, the twitter account, and the thor-zone website at least once every two hours, My credit card is ready ?

Take it easy guys, it should be ready in a week or so. There was more than expected to set up Shopify on our website, but once it's done we'll do a big announcement ? ?

Reactions: edamazzio

Sharknose

Average Stuffer
Jan 4, 2019
When do you anticipate having an updated schedule for production? When do you expect to set a new date for delivery? You have made additional design changes since the Kickstarter - when will you confirm with the factory there are no production issues or challenges with those new changes?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
When do you anticipate having an updated schedule for production? When do you expect to set a new date for delivery? You have made additional design changes since the Kickstarter - when will you confirm with the factory there are no production issues or challenges with those new changes?

Production - June / July
Delivery - August / September
* The above is dependent on travel restrictions, but assuming things continue to get better the above targets are possible.

As for changes that have been made after Kickstarter, we've talked with the factory before announcing anything, so there are no production problems. On the contrary, a lot of things have been smoothed out, for example:

* The shell with panels that latch on from the outside is a lot more efficient to produce, since it can be milled on the outside rather than using more complex undercuts (where the panels previously attached). RGB strips and power button are also both better & easier to produce.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Production - June / July
Delivery - August / September
* The above is dependent on travel restrictions, but assuming things continue to get better the above targets are possible.

As for changes that have been made after Kickstarter, we've talked with the factory before announcing anything, so there are no production problems. On the contrary, a lot of things have been smoothed out, for example:

* The shell with panels that latch on from the outside is a lot more efficient to produce, since it can be milled on the outside rather than using more complex undercuts (where the panels previously attached). RGB strips and power button are also both better & easier to produce.
But I assume you haven't actually chosen a factory yet? You mentioned you were going in person to vet whether the finish quality is up to scratch. So I assume there is a non-zero possibility that the factories currently negotiating with aren't able to deliver a part within the budget and or time constraint?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
But I assume you haven't actually chosen a factory yet? You mentioned you were going in person to vet whether the finish quality is up to scratch. So I assume there is a non-zero possibility that the factories currently negotiating with aren't able to deliver a part within the budget and or time constraint?

Apart from extrusion & CNC plant, everything else is pretty much set (i.e. electronics, sheet metal, packaging, etc etc). We're trying to get super-specific anodizing samples from extrusion / CNC candidates right now, so that we can narrow down the factory list asap (it's quite large).

If anyone here has experience with anodizing specification, feel free to share what you know. I feel that Alumunium Association designation (AA-M42-C21-....etc) fits our needs perfectly, but perhaps there's something even better when dealing with Chinese factories?

MaDMaX68

Chassis Packer
Dec 8, 2019
Hi there Alex, kindly start the Kickstarter campaign as soon as possible because some Chinese are starting to clone/copy your work.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406.0.0.72102db7IUeAYD&id=606570158619

just a word of warning to anyone interested in a clone ! In the long run it’s going to prob cost you as much as the original once you factor in shipping/import duties

don’t get me wrong ordered myself a sentry clone and it seems every bit as good but they are not currently available so Ithink it was worth it but paid similar money in the end
But for the MJOLNIR I wouldn’t bother

Reactions: Shinken1

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Apart from extrusion & CNC plant, everything else is pretty much set (i.e. electronics, sheet metal, packaging, etc etc). We're trying to get super-specific anodizing samples from extrusion / CNC candidates right now, so that we can narrow down the factory list asap (it's quite large).

If anyone here has experience with anodizing specification, feel free to share what you know. I feel that Alumunium Association designation (AA-M42-C21-....etc) fits our needs perfectly, but perhaps there's something even better when dealing with Chinese factories?

Could you possibly outline a timeline based on time from travel restrictions are lifted? Looking at the numbers it would seem that China is now a safer place to be than for example Sweden. So I assume apart from the risk of travelling in itself, the risk of contracting the virus will actually be lower in China than in Sweden. However there is no timeline as to when foreigners will be allowed back into China, and so I assume any kind of timeline is really based on when travel restrictions lift on China's end or Sweden's end.

So to not dissappoint, I think it would be good for us to understand how long likely things will take after the factory visit. Is it likely that you will need multiple visits? etc.

I know you are aiming for August/September, but if travel restrictions are still in-place then, then I assume you cannot have produced it by then, outline based on +2 months from the first visit, etc, may prevent future dissapointment.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
I think someone already mentioned the clone. Keep in mind, the clones will probably be 7-8/10ths of what Mjolnir is for a fair bit less.

But supporting Mjolnir you're getting that 10/10, or 11/10 product quality and design. Not only that, you're supporting small business, and proper business ethics. Buying the clone isn't for me. ?

Besides, the clones likely won't have l the features or flexibility the real Mjolnir has, nor the tolerances. Again, a clone at best will likely be 7/10ths a real Mjolnir.