• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
That's good to hear it was given fixed, however 0.5-1mm does seem incredibly tight still. This might've been answered earlier, but was there any reason to keep 23mm of space under the mobo even though a 240mm aio proved to be less effective than a 120mm aio + air flow fan?

I understand the design drawings are finished so changes might be hard to push, but even if we dropped the mobo frame down a millimeter, that, in addition to your changes could give a ~2mm tolerance for the riser which feels a lot more comfortable. This would make the clearance under the mobo 22mm, which might lose support for the Silverstone TD02-slim (22mm rad) due to zero fit tolerance but it still keeps support for the XSPC TX radiator series (20mm) for those who really want to push for their own custom 240mm cooling solutions.

It may seem tight, but leads to big reduction in friction ? Previous distance was ~0, where a tolerance of +0.125mm meant noticeable friction (like in the prototype, where the riser had to be properly pushed in before inserting it into the Shell). 0.5-1mm clears the riser from the friction-zone, since that distance is larger than the worst-case tolerance scenario.

23mm under the mobo is a lot easier to work with, especially if you're not methodical about cable management.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Hi Alex, hope all is well in Sweden.Perhaps a slightly grim and private topic to discuss but I was wondering if you were able to disclose whether THOR ZONE is able to keep afloat during this global lockdown. I ask because obviously there are delays that may mean months that were unplanned for, and since there does not seem to be another revenue stream for THOR ZONE except for the money raised in the initial kickstarter, realistically how many months before that money is exhausted (assuming you are paying salaries out of this pot of money) to the extent that the production cannot occur?

I guess the 2nd launch you mentioned before can give you a second boost in income, but that is not guaranteed. Is THOR ZONE paying their employees? or do you all have other jobs (that is still paying you now during corona)?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hi Alex, hope all is well in Sweden.Perhaps a slightly grim and private topic to discuss but I was wondering if you were able to disclose whether THOR ZONE is able to keep afloat during this global lockdown. I ask because obviously there are delays that may mean months that were unplanned for, and since there does not seem to be another revenue stream for THOR ZONE except for the money raised in the initial kickstarter, realistically how many months before that money is exhausted (assuming you are paying salaries out of this pot of money) to the extent that the production cannot occur?

I guess the 2nd launch you mentioned before can give you a second boost in income, but that is not guaranteed. Is THOR ZONE paying their employees? or do you all have other jobs (that is still paying you now during corona)?

Actually, the KS cash has been sitting in our account more or less untouched since the day Kickstarter transferred it to us. We've pretty much agreed that paying out salaries this early is a waste (we rather use the funds to create to more MJOLNIRs, which we can sell and generate revenue for future THOR ZONE projects).

Everyone on the team works in programming/consulting fields, so not much has changed for us since this outbreak started (apart from that we work at home).

The 2nd launch is there for 3 reasons:
  • Commercial release has been delayed by the virus, but there is a lot of new interest (email list has doubled). We might as well do a short order-window before production rather than after.
  • We have 570 cases to produce, which means that we only need 570 of certain parts (e.g. power cable). Some parts have MOQ of 1000 pcs, and although we can pay the difference from the profit, this creates more risk because profit = emergency funds. If the 2nd launch brings us closer to 1000 cases, we'll not need to use any emergency funds from the get go.
  • Convenient time-slot to get those Booster Cell orders going (or Pokeboll as you noted ?).

As always, happy to discuss anything with you guys ? Now let's hope that things return to normal soon so that we can finally get going!

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
We have 570 cases to produce, which means that we only need 570 of certain parts (e.g. power cable). Some parts have MOQ of 1000 pcs, and although we can pay the difference from the profit, this creates more risk because profit = emergency funds. If the 2nd launch brings us closer to 1000 cases, we'll not need to use any emergency funds from the get go.

What have you considered as far as supplier defect rates? IE, you order 1,000 power cables, maybe 2 are bad. Maybe 2 more "go bad" within the first year of someone owning a case. What are you giving yourself as a buffer for defects and warranty purposes on most parts?

Also, how are you going about handling QC for panels/main parts, to ensure everything is arrived in acceptable condition?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
What have you considered as far as supplier defect rates? IE, you order 1,000 power cables, maybe 2 are bad. Maybe 2 more "go bad" within the first year of someone owning a case. What are you giving yourself as a buffer for defects and warranty purposes on most parts?

Also, how are you going about handling QC for panels/main parts, to ensure everything is arrived in acceptable condition?

We're going to order a bit extra of some parts (~5% extra), but the true defect rates won't be know until we've done a final QC. The QC/inspection itself will be handled through random sampling by another firm, which specializes in such things (they have the right equipment, measuring tools, etc). This will be done on site, so that the factory can correct the errors if we find any ?

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
We're going to order a bit extra of some parts (~5% extra), but the true defect rates won't be know until we've done a final QC. The QC/inspection itself will be handled through random sampling by another firm, which specializes in such things (they have the right equipment, measuring tools, etc). This will be done on site, so that the factory can correct the errors if we find any ?
Okay, and what about individual shipments that for some reason may have passed by QC with defects?

IE; chips or scratches in the shell, missing hardware, etc.

Even with the some of the best production plants and QC management, there is going to be SOME amount of problems. What would one do if they received a case with something wrong?

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone Hi Alex, I was wondering if you could help me out here. I was wondering what the dimensions of the accessible area is in the SSD mounting area of the Mjolnir with the stock front (i.e. not the booster cell).

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Okay, and what about individual shipments that for some reason may have passed by QC with defects?

IE; chips or scratches in the shell, missing hardware, etc.

Even with the some of the best production plants and QC management, there is going to be SOME amount of problems. What would one do if they received a case with something wrong?

Forgot to mention, ALL produced parts will be inspected before assembly. So the random sampling QC is only for the assembled units. If something major slips by unnoticed I'm sure we can figure something out with that particular backer. The risk of such things will be very small.

@AlexTzone Hi Alex, I was wondering if you could help me out here. I was wondering what the dimensions of the accessible area is in the SSD mounting area of the Mjolnir with the stock front (i.e. not the booster cell).

With or without the SSD bracket?

Reactions: Sazexa

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I saw a new notice for the Kickstarter campaign. All the updates are great. The RGB strip is perfect.

Personally, I think Kensington locks hurt the aesthetics of Mjolnir, but I will respect anyone who needs them.

If possible, can you produce a version without a Kensington lock?

jm8080

Cable Smoosher
Jan 31, 2020
Personally, I think Kensington locks hurt the aesthetics of Mjolnir, but I will respect anyone who needs them.

If possible, can you produce a version without a Kensington lock?
Hurt the aesthetics how? on what away? it will be a thin slot smaller than a USB slot at the back of the case so it will "hurt" the aesthetics how? please elaborate.

Ovni

Trash Compacter
Jan 3, 2020
I voted no because I don't need it. Theoretical it would make the case a bit more expensive to produce. But Alex will have to make the discision; on this moment the poll is 92 Yes and 92 Nay. And I agree with jm8080, there is no problem with the aesthetics.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
If you're spending this much on a case, being picky about aesthetics is fair.

I'd prefer it to not have it, myself. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker by any means.

Regarding the RGB strips, that is a smart change.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I'm just asking you how a tiny hole hidden at the back of the case will "hurt" the aesthetic of this case.

Side panels are magnetic detachments.

It's easy to get inside.

It will be helpful if you need to display your computer in a public place. I agree, but I don't think it's perfect. I just want a clean finish without a hole.

Last edited: