Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

danny.nguyen

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
@AlexTzone

One question: can I get one performance panel and one tempered glass?

possible to unlock the last one is god of shield I would like to get one performance panel and this shield?

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
As for the riser cable issue, an aluminum cross-member the width of the riser cable, that is screwed on to the rail would sort that problem out. There are already screw holes in the frame rails so it should work out nicely.

Last edited:

keepcoding

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2019
blog.keepcoding.ch
@AlexTzone

One question: can I get one performance panel and one tempered glass?

possible to unlock the last one is god of shield I would like to get one performance panel and this shield?
Some have asked this question before and the answer was always no.
If the last stretch goal gets unlocked, then you can order the Mjolnir with performance panels and you will get 2x performance panels and 1x glass panel.

Reactions: danny.nguyen

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I have just the best news ever guys, it's a solution we've been working on every since the split-up design was introduced. Today we've got back all quotes and it works out. Still polishing the details but I'll be back with it here in a day or so.

Minor spoiler: it will basically be unibody again. Not technically but definitely visually.

Last edited:

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I have just the best news ever guys, it's a solution we've been working on every since the split-up design was introduced. Today we've got back all quotes and it works out. Still polishing the details but I'll be back with it here in a day or so.

Minor spoiler: it will basically be unibody again. Not technically but definitely visually.

N I C E

Does it have a completely smooth design because it has been replaced with a magnet?

BTW

If the Flipped PSU clearly shows better performance, is there a plan to adjust the power cable length accordingly?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
N I C E

Does it have a completely smooth design because it has been replaced with a magnet?

BTW

If the Flipped PSU clearly shows better performance, is there a plan to adjust the power cable length accordingly?

It will have to be long enough to work with both orientations, so that people with custom cable from other sandwich-style cases can still use them in MJOLNIR :)

keepcoding

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2019
blog.keepcoding.ch
Nice update!!

Not quite sure though whether I understood the unibody part correctly. Does it mean the mainframe is milled from one solid block (which would basically mean 95% of the block will be milled away) or is there some trick involved to reduce the amount of material required?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Here it is guys! I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my absolutely favorite solution/upgrade in MJOLNIR thus far ? No more dowels, no more press fits and no more corner splits/lines. Potential problems with anodized matching? GONE! Potential problems with different bead blasting distances? GONE!

Basically Unibody

The main block is extruded (w. minor milling) while the front cap and grills are milled. Everything is made from the same alloy and temper.

Improved Performance Panels:

Basically increased the slot width from 4 to 5 mm and added 2 extra rows, more in-line with the rest of the 5mm'ness of MJOLNIR.

Next-Gen Riser

Can't say who'll make the new riser (secret) but it will be next-gen! More details on this in February :)

Ps. it's not the riser in the picture, I just used that as background for the text.

Let me know what you guys think. Damn this is a good day!!

Best,
Alex

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Nice update!!

Not quite sure though whether I understood the unibody part correctly. Does it mean the mainframe is milled from one solid block (which would basically mean 95% of the block will be milled away) or is there some trick involved to reduce the amount of material required?

Extrusion is a bit like pushing toothpaste through a narrow passage, so I assume the frame will be pushed through a hollow die. What I wonder if whether the surface finish will match with the side panels after bead blasting etc.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Here it is guys! I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my absolutely favorite solution/upgrade in MJOLNIR thus far ? No more dowels, no more press fits and no more corner splits/lines. Potential problems with anodized matching? GONE! Potential problems with different bead blasting distances? GONE!

Basically Unibody

The main block is extruded (w. minor milling) while the front cap and grills are milled. Everything is made from the same alloy and temper.

Improved Performance Panels:

Basically increased the slot width from 4 to 5 mm and added 2 extra rows, more in-line with the rest of the 5mm'ness of MJOLNIR.

Next-Gen Riser

Can't say who'll make the new riser (secret) but it will be next-gen! More details on this in February :)

Ps. it's not the riser in the picture, I just used that as background for the text.

Let me know what you guys think. Damn this is a good day!!

Best,
Alex

I was on the fence after seeing OptimumTech's original review, but with all of the hard work and extra effort improving the design as the Kickstarter campaign progressed, you convinced me to pledge for one!

Here's to hoping you max out your stretch goals and have a successful path to delivery!

Notional

Trash Compacter
Sep 5, 2019
Man that is awesome. This product will set a new bar for ITX cases, if not PC cases in general. I really hope you will make an XL version later on that will support a 240 CLC with 2 normal sized fans (and maybe a bit wider for the ray tracing cards that are 2½ slots usually). But this is already in a class of its own. Good job!

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I was on the fence after seeing OptimumTech's original review, but with all of the hard work and extra effort improving the design as the Kickstarter campaign progressed, you convinced me to pledge for one!

Here's to hoping you max out your stretch goals and have a successful path to delivery!

Dude, same here.

@AlexTzone Several pages back you lost me due to dropping the unibody design, which I felt was a defining feature of this beautiful case. This update brought me back! This is SICK, and I applaud your continued efforts and willingness to listen to your audience. Well done Thor Zone team!

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
WOOOHOOO! 200k! Congratulations @AlexTzone, you guys have made it to the final stretch goal! You've definitely earned it.

I hope everyone enjoys the bonus panel. :D

Edit: Oh.... Wait.... The goal is at 2mil SEK, not 200k USD.... My bad everyone. False alarm.

rudy44

Average Stuffer
Aug 31, 2017
Dude, same here.

@AlexTzone Several pages back you lost me due to dropping the unibody design, which I felt was a defining feature of this beautiful case. This update brought me back! This is SICK, and I applaud your continued efforts and willingness to listen to your audience. Well done Thor Zone team!

same here. felt the split design didn't look clean. backed this soon as I saw it going back to the unibody design.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone when do you plan to do another prototype of the case? The case now is substantially different from any prototype so far in both assembly and manufacturing, and so it is almost equivalent to not having a prototype at all. Like we saw with the original casting approach, while it may be good on paper, the look of the product may not be up to scratch in the end.

I am of course cautiously optimistic of all the changes, but I assume with 15 days to go until all funds from the backers are sealed it is not possible to see whether all the changes implemented in the last few weeks are actually feasible and/or good in real life. I assume the fallback position is that everything goes back to how it was at the existing prototype (which is fine for me, since that is what I backed), I would feel slightly bad for those that backed because of the "promised" changes (in reality, no promises were made, but you know how it is)

- What are the tolerances associated with extrusion and how does it compare to the CNC milling of the original approach.

- How will the "sides" of the chassis, presumably the surface finish is dictated by the extrusion die, be matched with the side panels, that I assume are still CNCed

Side questions from above:
-Can glass panels be popped out of the new side panel design non-destructively
-Are the glass panels recessed with respect to the chassis because it is snapped in and held by two sides (or perhaps was the glass panels always recessed)

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

That really means a lot, thank you! Going to send the production unit to Optimum as soon as they're done, so that he can place them next to each other (poor prototype will look quite pale in comparison).

Thank you friend, it looks like we're well on our way towards the last one, just 72.000 SEK remaining ?

Man that is awesome. This product will set a new bar for ITX cases, if not PC cases in general. I really hope you will make an XL version later on that will support a 240 CLC with 2 normal sized fans (and maybe a bit wider for the ray tracing cards that are 2½ slots usually). But this is already in a class of its own. Good job!

Thank you! We have to make this case worthy of it's legendary name, it's our Nordic obligation to you guys! ?

Dude, same here.

same here. felt the split design didn't look clean. backed this soon as I saw it going back to the unibody design.

That's epic guys! Really wanted to say this to you earlier, but we had to make sure it was production-wise/economically feasible. So damn glad it was!

I just want to applaud your ongoing efforts with the SFF community based on the feedback & your constant communications! Really makes me stoked for the final product!

Thank you so much! But we can't take all the credit, without you guys this project would have been veeeeery different! ?

WOOOHOOO! 200k! Congratulations @AlexTzone, you guys have made it to the final stretch goal! You've definitely earned it.

I hope everyone enjoys the bonus panel. :D

Edit: Oh.... Wait.... The goal is at 2mil SEK, not 200k USD.... My bad everyone. False alarm.

We're almost there!! Just 72.000 SEK to go ?

@AlexTzone when do you plan to do another prototype of the case? The case now is substantially different from any prototype so far in both assembly and manufacturing, and so it is almost equivalent to not having a prototype at all. Like we saw with the original casting approach, while it may be good on paper, the look of the product may not be up to scratch in the end.

I am of course cautiously optimistic of all the changes, but I assume with 15 days to go until all funds from the backers are sealed it is not possible to see whether all the changes implemented in the last few weeks are actually feasible and/or good in real life. I assume the fallback position is that everything goes back to how it was at the existing prototype (which is fine for me, since that is what I backed), I would feel slightly bad for those that backed because of the "promised" changes (in reality, no promises were made, but you know how it is)

- What are the tolerances associated with extrusion and how does it compare to the CNC milling of the original approach.

- How will the "sides" of the chassis, presumably the surface finish is dictated by the extrusion die, be matched with the side panels, that I assume are still CNCed

Side questions from above:
-Can glass panels be popped out of the new side panel design non-destructively
-Are the glass panels recessed with respect to the chassis because it is snapped in and held by two sides (or perhaps was the glass panels always recessed)

The next step is an actual production sample (not prototype), since extrusion isn't possible to prototype anyways (for example, Ghost is extruded, but they machined the parts for the prototypes). Extrusion produces some of the best parts possible, so achieving the same tolerances as our other machined parts will not be a problem (even in China). The alloys for machining and extrusion will be the same, so there is no reason to expect any differences after bead blasting and anodizing. In terms of production, the only noteworthy differences between the production model and the prototypes is the extrusion. Everything else is basically just more/less machine time (i.e. extra side panel holes, no rounded feet, etc) and simple extras (magnets, etc).

The fallback option is to extrude the side panels (and back panel) as well, in the unlikely case that they will not match with the shell:
  1. Extrude the whole Shell (all 500) and "cut off" a sample
  2. CNC a few panels
  3. Bead blast and anodize
    • If it does match (highly likely) = manufacture the rest of the panels with CNC
    • If it doesn't match = extrude the panels
So in any scenario, the backers end up with the unibody version :)

Glass
- Yes you can pop them out, it won't be very easy (since it's not intended) but you'll definitely figure it out. Just have something soft underneath so they don't shatter when you pop them out.
- The glass is recessed by 1mm in the production models (in the current prototype it's 2mm). I had a talk with the factory regarding wall thickness, depth of the groove, stress on the glass, etc — it's going to be fine :)

abdulla

Trash Compacter
Oct 11, 2019
What type of shipping will you be using?

I ask because as a backer of Sentry 1.1 (sea freight) and Sentry 2.0 (DHL express), the Sentry 2.0 shipping experience has been markedly better.

alycon

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 20, 2019
Hi there. Interested to back this and secure a case, however I’ve backed projects before where fortunately I was one of the lucky ones that received the product, I also watched as hundreds of backers vented online at never being sent anything. Do you see yourselves as being able to competently fill the current pledges with the funds already raised? Or is there already a shortfall, or perhaps plans to relocate to the Bahamas for an extended sabbatical? I know it’s hard to guarantee anything online, just thought I’d see what your response might be...