• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Alex, the booster cell payment is not going on for the following reasons.

Help me.

'''''Could not select that shipping address, please try again. '''''
Oh, I made the payment with 1 minute left through the shop pay.

By the way, can the package be sent separately?

I've already paid for the delivery through the Kickstarter campaign. Additional shipping charges have been billed.

• Love
Reactions: AlexTzone

uber_shnitz

Average Stuffer
Oct 14, 2019
That means we'll make a 100 page thermals doc rather than 17 ? ?
Haha yeah definitely way too much work. Do you have a rough idea of what configurations you'll be testing with what parts?

To me it's more about setting a benchmark of what to expect rather than getting a full comprehensive picture. We can build that with the community as people try out different parts/layouts to find the optimal one for each person's build, but a baseline set of "expectations" is probably more along the lines of what I'm excited about.

Even if it's just say 1 air cooler and 1 AIO with all performance panels, it's still better than nothing.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Alex, I'd like to ask if there are any internal considerations.

I imagined a booster cell equipped with two 92mm fans and applied a cutout at the edge.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Alex, I'd like to ask if there are any internal considerations.

I imagined a booster cell equipped with two 92mm fans and applied a cutout at the edge.
As usual, you should post pictures of what you mean as it is unclear what you want. The booster cell sits flush inside the chassis core and so any cutout on the edge would not make any airflow.

Aside from that the booster cell design is already finalized.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
As usual, you should post pictures of what you mean as it is unclear what you want. The booster cell sits flush inside the chassis core and so any cutout on the edge would not make any airflow.

Aside from that the booster cell design is already finalized.
Oh, I'm sorry. This question is independent of the completed booster cell. I was just wondering if anything about dual fans had ever been considered.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Two 92mm fans does have a bit more surface area than a single 120mm fan (about 15% more I believe), but, I think with the way the fan is going to be sandwhiched between the core and the booster cell plate, static pressure is likely going to be more important than air surface area movement. Especially considering from what it seems, the 92mm would be stacked one over the other. If I'm correct about how the booster cell panel works, the vast majority of it will likely be blocked but perhaps some air will squeeze down by the PSU cables and maybe into the GPU compartment.

I think if you had two 92mm fans in place, one of the fans would be practically useless. I think given that the 120mm will likely have better overlap to where it can actually send air in usable manner, as well as the static pressure benefit of most 120mm fans over 92mm fans, it's probably best to have just a 120mm only design, instead of a 120mm or 92x184 set up.

I could be wrong but that's my guessing, looking at the core front panel renderings. You can to remember, the SSD tray is probably only about 15-19mm tall I'm guessing, since most 2.5" SSD's are 7mm or 9mm tall, you're limited to that dimension behind the booster cell cover and the fans are going to be pretty darn tight against the flat surface of the core for a large portion of them. Hence why I believe if it were 92mm over each other, one would be practically useless.

I think this is also a good time to mention, if you plan on using a 120mm radiator in the front of the case, your airflow benefit from a booster cell might be a little bit less than you desire. I see the booster cell being most useful for fully air cooled systems with glass panels. Probably with the booster cell pulling in air, and the two other fans exhausting it (or vice versa).

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Elaborating on above, here's an example of what I mean by the usable cut out in the core itself. These lines aren't quite to scale, but, I've used a red circle to show the space for airflow to enter the case from the booster cell, and orange to show about how much over-lap as a guesstimate with a 120mm fan in place on the booster cell.

After mocking that up real quick, it does seem from a performance stand point a single, off-center, lower mounted 92mm fan has potential to be a good cooling option, too. It just might look off aesthetically. But there probably is more overlap with the 120mm, that's just a rough guess.

This also gives you an idea of why it might not even be useful at all to use the booster cell with an AIO/CLC, because approximately this much area might be "eaten up" by a radiator and fan, then your cables as well.

That being said, I did purchase a booster cell myself, partly just to have, partly to see if I like how it works and maybe prove my own theories wrong. We'll only know for sure when we see how it all fits together in the finished prototype.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Oh, I made the payment with 1 minute left through the shop pay.

By the way, can the package be sent separately?

I've already paid for the delivery through the Kickstarter campaign. Additional shipping charges have been billed.

Epic! Booster Cell has it's own shipping rates (and VAT) ?

Haha yeah definitely way too much work. Do you have a rough idea of what configurations you'll be testing with what parts?

To me it's more about setting a benchmark of what to expect rather than getting a full comprehensive picture. We can build that with the community as people try out different parts/layouts to find the optimal one for each person's build, but a baseline set of "expectations" is probably more along the lines of what I'm excited about.

Even if it's just say 1 air cooler and 1 AIO with all performance panels, it's still better than nothing.

We don't mind making that though x) It's going to be like a thermal-bible for MJOLNIR, with different sections for w. / wo. Booster Cell etc.

Oh, I'm sorry. This question is independent of the completed booster cell. I was just wondering if anything about dual fans had ever been considered.

It has been considered, but it didn't work out as well as the 120mm fan :)

Two 92mm fans does have a bit more surface area than a single 120mm fan (about 15% more I believe), but, I think with the way the fan is going to be sandwhiched between the core and the booster cell plate, static pressure is likely going to be more important than air surface area movement. Especially considering from what it seems, the 92mm would be stacked one over the other. If I'm correct about how the booster cell panel works, the vast majority of it will likely be blocked but perhaps some air will squeeze down by the PSU cables and maybe into the GPU compartment.

I think if you had two 92mm fans in place, one of the fans would be practically useless. I think given that the 120mm will likely have better overlap to where it can actually send air in usable manner, as well as the static pressure benefit of most 120mm fans over 92mm fans, it's probably best to have just a 120mm only design, instead of a 120mm or 92x184 set up.

I could be wrong but that's my guessing, looking at the core front panel renderings. You can to remember, the SSD tray is probably only about 15-19mm tall I'm guessing, since most 2.5" SSD's are 7mm or 9mm tall, you're limited to that dimension behind the booster cell cover and the fans are going to be pretty darn tight against the flat surface of the core for a large portion of them. Hence why I believe if it were 92mm over each other, one would be practically useless.

I think this is also a good time to mention, if you plan on using a 120mm radiator in the front of the case, your airflow benefit from a booster cell might be a little bit less than you desire. I see the booster cell being most useful for fully air cooled systems with glass panels. Probably with the booster cell pulling in air, and the two other fans exhausting it (or vice versa).

A lot of airflow goes in/out from the frontal grills when using a 120mm AIO, so it should be helpful in that situation as well :) Also, we added some more cutouts to the front panel of the core a while back, to improve performance with the Booster Cell. Btw I saw your epic cardboard-MJOLNIR on IG before, that made my day haha! ?

Reactions: Sazexa

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Hi @AlexTzone hope the deciding for whether you go to China in person or find a suitable representative is going well. I was doing some digging today and found this nice radiator that is almost perfect for what I seek in a 120 mm radiator.

Unfortunately it is 1 mm too long (158 mm overall length). However the length is also contributed by the end tanks that slope inwards. I was wondering what would be the chances of this radiator still being able to slip just under the mobo tray.

Or is this yet again one of those depending on the manufactuering tolerances?

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Hi @AlexTzone hope the deciding for whether you go to China in person or find a suitable representative is going well. I was doing some digging today and found this nice radiator that is almost perfect for what I seek in a 120 mm radiator.

Unfortunately it is 1 mm too long (158 mm overall length). However the length is also contributed by the end tanks that slope inwards. I was wondering what would be the chances of this radiator still being able to slip just under the mobo tray.

Just by looking at it I'd assume your chances of fitment are foot. Even if they weren't flawless, you could likely trim the motherboard tray corner just a smidge to ensure fitment. I believe the motherboard tray has some overlap vs. the actual motherboard size, so, you likely don't have much to worry about in regards to hitting the motherboard.

Reactions: For_Science

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Just by looking at it I'd assume your chances of fitment are foot. Even if they weren't flawless, you could likely trim the motherboard tray corner just a smidge to ensure fitment. I believe the motherboard tray has some overlap vs. the actual motherboard size, so, you likely don't have much to worry about in regards to hitting the motherboard.
Thanks! I just had to sit there for a about 10 seconds trying to work out whether foot chances were positive or negative. Then I realized that f and g were next to eachother ?

• Haha
Reactions: Sazexa

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Thanks! I just had to sit there for a about 10 seconds trying to work out whether foot chances were positive or negative. Then I realized that f and g were next to eachother ?
Typed it out on my phone, but yes *GOOD, definitely not FOOT ?

Paul_the_Octopus

Trash Compacter
Apr 17, 2020
Hi all ! Any updates on how are things going? Is the september windows for shipping realistic?
Don't want to sound mean or anything, but lately i have been reading everything Mjolnir related, and sometimes i get scared of this project a bit, since it's been ongoing since 2017, and the case have been "ready to start manufacturing" since at least january.
Have the team already selected all manufacturing partners? How will the quality control issue be solved ? (is Alex going to fly to China, or have someone there already)
What about the anodizing process quality? Have the team solved the dark tone anodizing?
Sorry if i'm asking all these questions, i just really hope to receive my Mjolnir within a reasonable deadline.
All my best wishes to the team, and hopefully everything goes as planned!

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
While Coronavirus is certainly not Alex's fault (I certainly hope not, anyway), it is THOR ZONE's responsibility to move the project on in a timely manner despite what is happening. Manufacturing is happening again in China, I have personal experience in this since 2 other Kickstarter projects that I have backed that also got slowed down by SARS-nCOV2 have either managed to finish the project and get their products to me, or at least finished the manufacturing process.

Now, Alex has been explicit that by yesterday they would have decided whether they will go in person or send a representative to the factories to choose which company will do the all-important extrusion of the chassis shell. Since Sweden looks like a little bit of trouble based on some bad political decisions, I would think it would be difficult to enter China coming from Sweden. So I think we will hear soon enough that either they have found a representative or are looking for one now.

This of course means that the bulk of manufacturing for the case is yet to happen. Although electronics (RGB/switches) has started supposedly.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

I would say it's going to be hard to squeeze it in there. There's really not a lot of space left, no spare mm's anywhere. One possible way is to completely remove the front panel on the Core (the one with the storage bracket), that will give you 3 extra mm's of length ? However, core structure will be a lot less robust...but once it's inside the Shell it's basically a tank again.

Hi all ! Any updates on how are things going? Is the september windows for shipping realistic?
Don't want to sound mean or anything, but lately i have been reading everything Mjolnir related, and sometimes i get scared of this project a bit, since it's been ongoing since 2017, and the case have been "ready to start manufacturing" since at least january.
Have the team already selected all manufacturing partners? How will the quality control issue be solved ? (is Alex going to fly to China, or have someone there already)
What about the anodizing process quality? Have the team solved the dark tone anodizing?
Sorry if i'm asking all these questions, i just really hope to receive my Mjolnir within a reasonable deadline.
All my best wishes to the team, and hopefully everything goes as planned!
It's not Alex's fault because of damn coronavirus. I'm sure he's working on it furiously!
While Coronavirus is certainly not Alex's fault (I certainly hope not, anyway), it is THOR ZONE's responsibility to move the project on in a timely manner despite what is happening. Manufacturing is happening again in China, I have personal experience in this since 2 other Kickstarter projects that I have backed that also got slowed down by SARS-nCOV2 have either managed to finish the project and get their products to me, or at least finished the manufacturing process.

Now, Alex has been explicit that by yesterday they would have decided whether they will go in person or send a representative to the factories to choose which company will do the all-important extrusion of the chassis shell. Since Sweden looks like a little bit of trouble based on some bad political decisions, I would think it would be difficult to enter China coming from Sweden. So I think we will hear soon enough that either they have found a representative or are looking for one now.

This of course means that the bulk of manufacturing for the case is yet to happen. Although electronics (RGB/switches) has started supposedly.
What’s the latest on this project?

Corona is basically over and China 100% up to speed, so that's no longer an issue ? We're going to work with some of Corsair's high-end producers, currently waiting for some samples to evaluate their anodizing skills, but from what we've seen and discussed so far it looks very promising. Samples are estimated to arrive in 15 days, and if they look good...1 week after that we will start full scale production. If they look bad we will mass-sample from the rest of our "potential-factories" list and see who does it best.

We'll use a well-known inspection firm to QC a randomized sample of assembled MJOLNIR directly on site + send a couple of them home to us so that we can double-confirm everything. This will replace our need to go to China ourselves and potentially be locked up in quarantines/denied entry or any other madness.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I would say it's going to be hard to squeeze it in there. There's really not a lot of space left, no spare mm's anywhere. One possible way is to completely remove the front panel on the Core (the one with the storage bracket), that will give you 3 extra mm's of length ? However, core structure will be a lot less robust...but once it's inside the Shell it's basically a tank again.

Corona is basically over and China 100% up to speed, so that's no longer an issue ? We're going to work with some of Corsair's high-end producers, currently waiting for some samples to evaluate their anodizing skills, but from what we've seen and discussed so far it looks very promising. Samples are estimated to arrive in 15 days, and if they look good...1 week after that we will start full scale production. If they look bad we will mass-sample from the rest of our "potential-factories" list and see who does it best.

We'll use a well-known inspection firm to QC a randomized sample of assembled MJOLNIR directly on site + send a couple of them home to us so that we can double-confirm everything. This will replace our need to go to China ourselves and potentially be locked up in quarantines/denied entry or any other madness.
Is it very expensive to sample from a factory? Just wondering why you don't already mass-sample from the rest of the potential factories in case of 1st choice being bad, or potentially somebody being better?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Is it very expensive to sample from a factory? Just wondering why you don't already mass-sample from the rest of the potential factories in case of 1st choice being bad, or potentially somebody being better?

First we speak to a bunch of different firms and see how they respond to different questions, i.e.:

Question: anodized Shell and panels have to have minimal color difference, what is a good approach?
- Bad answer: CNC the panels, extrude the Shell and anodize them.
- Good answer: Extrude the panels and Shell from the same batch material in the same factory, CNC afterwards and then anodize in the same bath.

After more of such a conversation it becomes clear who is concerned with making a good product and who just wants money. The ones we want to sample from have been singled out from the rest of our “backup” factories. Sampling is expensive (~$1000/factory) and should just confirm their experience & not be surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shinken1