Mini-Splash, about a Gallon water cooled SFF gaming PC

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Update time.

I filled the loop last night, the reservoir holds about 20ml I know as I filled some of the loop wiling a children’s medicine syringe!

After some shaking and turning the system I managed to get the air out. It wasn’t too bad to bleed,

CPU temps are mid 30’s after 5 mins of prime, high 20’s on desktop. However furmark hits thermal limit within seconds.

I think this is caused by:

A) I fitted some plastic spacers (supplied) at each screw connection according to the generic instructions that came with the block. All the instructions were not in English, so it’s possible they weren’t needed and I’m not getting great contact with the GPU chip and waterblock. I think this is most likely.

Or

B) pump is insufficient and I’m not getting good enough flow. This could be rectified by changing to a 3600 rpm model. (I could also add an aquaero to throttle it)

Or

C) some other reason I haven’t thought of yet.

Will drain the loop and remove shims tonight.

Reactions: Mtthwmths

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Just put some thermal paste on the GPU chip, screw your block without any washer then remove it to check if contact is good.

NeoConker

Caliper Novice
May 21, 2017
I liked this build so much, tiny and powerful.

If removing the washers makes no difference, maybe is the thermal limit itself.

(80mm^2) x 2x fans = 128cm²
(120mm^2) x 1x fan = 144cm²

You are dissipating a lot of heat in an area smaller than a 120mm radiator and the smaller the fan get, bigger the interference by fan hub.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
I liked this build so much, tiny and powerful.

If removing the washers makes no difference, maybe is the thermal limit itself.

(80mm^2) x 2x fans = 128cm²
(120mm^2) x 1x fan = 144cm²

You are dissipating a lot of heat in an area smaller than a 120mm radiator and the smaller the fan get, bigger the interference by fan hub.

If it's thermal throttling within seconds than it has nothing to do with the loop and everything to do with the thermal connection from the GPU to the water.

Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I have this exact GPU and block and I do not remember having used any washers.

Yep, fixed the problem! :)

A dual 80 radiator with fast fans should be enough :
https://www.overclock.net/forum/50-...m-watercooled-gaming-rig-11.html#post23694091

You could try to put back the helix into your flow meter / reservoir and check if there is enough flow ?

I didnt need to drain the loop so didn't bother.

If it's thermal throttling within seconds than it has nothing to do with the loop and everything to do with the thermal connection from the GPU to the water.

Spot on, was the washers.

Update on temps:

Will be coming in the next update, but they are good!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Really inspiring build. I hope I can go back to custom metal cases one day. And using a pegboard to drill spaced holes is some DIY genius.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Update inbound!

Here is the current set-up as tested, missing the external panels, power button and in need of some cable tiding but pretty much there. The syringe was used to fill the loop so I stuck it in the picture too.

A 330ml can and the power prick to give a reminder of size (or lack of it!).

The external dimensions turned out to be:
Length: 246mm
Height: 214mm
Width: 91mm

Total volume (excluding a 330W dell power brick) is 4.79L, so I have gone a little over my target but I'm pretty happy with the volume.

Lots of people are interested in temperatures. I did a ~30 min Furmark and Prime 95 (small FTT) run, then took temperature readings with a non-contact thermometer.

Room temperature: 17.3°C (I do all my work in the garage)

Then starting at the fans: 21.3°C

The radiator on the inlet side: 37.0°C (Toasty)

The radiator on the outlet side: 31.6°C (much better)

The SSD: 40.0°C

Chipset: 45.2°C

Screenshot of system temps / settings all after 30 minutes of FurMark and Prime 95 run simultaneously (temps seemed to have stabilised and then dropped down slightly...?):

CPU: 50-52°C, Max of 57°C
GPU: 37°C, Max of 40°C
Pump ~2600RPM
Fans ~2000RPM

Given the temperatures are so low, with a bit of tinkering I should be able to dial the fans back and maybe scale the pump back a bit too.

Success!!!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Thanks for the kind words, but I think your all popping your corks a bit early.

I still got more components to add to this bad boy, there is still space!

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Thanks for the kind words, but I think your all popping your corks a bit early.

I still got more components to add to this bad boy, there is still space!
You sound like my fiance! :p

I'm more impressed with the hardware tetrising in this case, so excited to see what's next.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
QUOTE="Goatee, post: 131036, member: 7910"]Thanks for the kind words, but I think your all popping your corks a bit early.

I still got more components to add to this bad boy, there is still space![/QUOTE]

Didn't forget about your "section in white" that appeared to be roughly an ACDC supply dimension?

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
I had planned to put that in, but I have had a change of heart.

I have two components to add, along with a whole host of cables.

Reactions: Mtthwmths