Advice Fully water-cooled 4090 build

GeOhDoubleT

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 11, 2023
Hi everyone! I came here from google because I was looking for a very specific setup. I was reading through the FAQ and WIKI but still left with my questions.
Why SFF? I must be mobile for various reasons. So grab your PC and monitor, put them in a bag and move on. I was looking into 4090 gaming laptops but the pricetags of 4000-5000€ are wayyyy too high compared to the performance you get. I was looking into some YouTube builds but I wasn’t successful in finding the right setup. So here I am, asking for your help which is greatly appreciated 😊
What I need: I want the best performance in the smallest case possible with the lowest noice level possible. Meaning a 4090 and i7/i9 (or is AMD better for SFF? 🤔). I am looking for a water cooled version of an mITX PC. I know I maybe have to sacrifice space for the water cooling but that’s okay. I saw a build which had a liquid cooled CPU but not the GPU. Is there any chance to get a fully water cooled mITX PC? I saw some AiO 4090 watercooled GPUs but I don’t think they are made for SFF? I do not want any RGB at all, if that’s important. I am also looking into a portable gaming monitor. I only found the ASUS ROG 16“ one which is pretty pricy. Any recommendations here?
Thank you very much in advance for your answers 🙂

Kaji

Doesn't own a caliper
SFFn Staff
Jun 1, 2020
Welcome to the forum!

So essentially you want the best of the best in as small a package as possible without having it be noisy under load?
If this is purely for gaming, I might recommend AMD for the processor over Intel, going with something like the 7800X3D should work perfectly for your setup while also having a lower maximum power draw vs the Intel counterparts.

There are not many options of a PC that comes completely watercooled from the factory in SFF form factor, and watercooling isn't necessarily quieter than air cooling, it all depends on parts used. If you are willing to build your own PC then I might recommend a case such as the SSUPD Meshroom which is relatively small but also has the space for most 4090 models. You could pair this with the 7800X3D and use a standard 280mm AIO to cool the CPU, possibly running the fans in exhaust to assist with heat removal from GPU. You could also do a full custom loop including the GPU by going with two radiators instead of an AIO, with one in the front and one in the side of the case. Keep in mind this will cost the most and require the most amount of time and effort to assemble.

As for RGB, you might have a tough time avoiding this one, but rest assured you can disable it in the software with ease. Or take it a step further and unplug the RGB connectors within the GPU itself if possible.

Can't assist with monitors, I have very little experience with portable ones.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I have a 3950x with a 3080 ti with dual radiator on a Ncase M1, if you are in for this journey I think you have to take in mind some things:

- The amount of money you may spend buying things that you are not seeing now is not small (specific reservoir comes to mind, a lot of fittings, a fast plug and unplug in order to be able to service your pc....
- you may be force to buy thing that you wont use because they may not fit properly (mostly fittings, you will end up at least with an small box full of unused fittings)
- Be sure you will enjoy the ride, if this is one of your first builds and you are not used to DIY, maybe you´re better of going aircooled. It´s not the same to build a WC case in a big case than in a small one.
- Select the case first and then buy the rest of the things, the case is what is going to limit you the most. read about everything on the internet about the case and people whi have done the same before so you don´t make the same mistakes as others.

GeOhDoubleT

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 11, 2023
Hey guys, thank you very much for answering! The SSUPD is actually still too big for me. I found a nice build on YouTube:
What do you think about it? Since a water cooled 4090 isn’t necessary because the sound levels are almost equal, this build should do the trick, right? Anything I need to change from this setup?

Please find the case (FormD T1) and additional cables needed for the build in the description of the video.
Is there any chance I could use a AiO 4090 with an only slightly bigger case or isn’t this necessary at all (as stated above).

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I dont know the case very well but be very carefull choosing the AIO, because it may not fit.

Also you can consider using this block+pump and add a good radiator. You can make your own AIO that way, and probably get a better performance.

search on this thread for compatibility on the radiator and stuff

Reactions: GeOhDoubleT

GeOhDoubleT

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 11, 2023
Thanks for the advice! I saw that the FormD T1 isn't available in Germany :-(. So I have to pay 300$+toll taxes which makes this case pretty expenisve beeing so small :-).

Is there any alternative which is available in Germany too?

What's your opinion on the build above?

Custom water cooling isnt my thing. I would 100% brick the system. Never did that before. So that is not an option, sadly.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I see, it´s the same problem here in Spain pricewise. The components you choose fr your build are ok, top of the line gaming pc, very very nice. What I´m not sou sure is if you can match the size you want with the power of your rig, because if the FormD T1 is the biggest you can go, there is no other case I can think of right now that can do what you need.

You can go bigger (a bit less than 15 liters) with the dan case c4 and you can use a 280 AIO with that one. Also you can use other GPU, not just founder edition.

You can wait for the Ncase succesor, also I know that Louqe (sweedish, maybe the only one in europe) is working in a couple of cases that can accomodate the newer GPU´s, but who knows hoy much time is that. But right now with the huge GPUs we have there is no other case (maybe I´m wrong, someone correct me) that can accomodate a 4090 and AIO in the size of what the FormD offers.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
well I´m thinking that maybe you could buy a louque ghost, and a watercooled 4090, with an aircooled CPU. But you need to buy the case + a "top hat" to place the radiator+fans.

GeOhDoubleT

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 11, 2023
Thanks for the answer paulesko!

Small update on my side: I got my mobile dream monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG17AHPE

What game Do I wanna play? 99% Diablo IV with max settings. Is my setup above overkill for this game?

Could you please post an updated list so I can copy paste the names of the components and look for them online?
Water cooled CPU should still be there, although the CPU AiO isnt available in Germany. Need to have a look here.

Greatly appreciated!